escalade wont ride right. =(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, escalade wont ride right. =( in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey guys.. i just put on a set of 24 inch giovanna rims today wrapped with pirelli scorpion zero assimetrico ...
    jcizzzle88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade Ext

escalade wont ride right. =(

hey guys..

i just put on a set of 24 inch giovanna rims today wrapped with pirelli scorpion zero assimetrico tires. the max pressure on the sidewall is 50 psi and i am currently running at ~38 psi.

While driving at all speeds the truck seems to fight and pull in either direction at any given time. And on the highway there is a "wobble" that can be felt in the steering wheel and throughout the truck.

I was looking for any suggestions that could help where i start looking? and experimenting.. Are the pressures too low or high ? does it sound like they need to be balanced ? or is there something else going on?

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Re: escalade wont ride right. =(

First off, nice setup, I would love to see pics.

The setup you described would be great for performance as far as roadholding, but are you sure that was what you really wanted, cuz the symptoms you described are a normal byproduct of this type of equation.

Performance tires give more grip, hence more road feel, so if the pavement you are rolling on sucks in any way, shape or form, that suckyness (<--good word eh) will get delivered right to the palm of your hand and the asses of your passangers.

In a nutshell the tire is litterally "hugging" the road. the lower the pressure the more it will hug (to a point), try taking the tires up to something like 45~48, this will allow the tires to break free from the sucky pavement sooner, to give less road feedback....your milage will go up a bit too, but ride quality may drop. I doubt you will be able to get rid of it completelty but this may help.

Another thought (and dont take this wrong; not meant as a hater, just as one who builds real performance)...there is no way you will ever be able to use all of the grip the scorpions will give you....truck is to tall, and the center of gravity is to high....so in a nutshell, go buy cheaper tires =) Its probably not what you wanted to hear, but you bought one of the best tires, and it is purpose built....that purpose has very little to do with ride quality and comfort, and more to do with absolute feel and feedback....the very thing you are not liking. Swap down to something with a little less grip and slightly softer sidewall and you will probably be a lot happier

thanks for the help.. i bought them as a package and to be honest i paid a lot less than i should of for em. im going to try taking the pressures up and hopefully that will fix some of it..

i understand i wont be using these tires to there max potential performance wise and am going to look into some softer tires. but i would really like to try and settle down the vibration on the highway.

thanks for the input... ive been on this site for a couple weeks now and have been on the receiving end of a ton of information. hopefully soon i can start returning the favor to some.

i will try to get some pictures up soon but i am waiting for the new grille to get here and i wanna get the yamaha R1 out and cleaned up for a little photo shoot of the two.

and any suggestions on where to start looking in regards to a tire that would be more accomodating ?

sold my r1 about 2 months ago.....good to see you have taste all around

opinions are like hineyholes, everyones got one...personally I like Falkens, they perform well, wear well, and most importantly are quiet (the last of which swayed me from yoko's after almost 6 years of exclusivity) and price wise very reasonable. In as much as everything I do is about performance, and on a track day I find any of the pirelli zero series tires totally acceptable...they make great tires, I just dont like them for the street for the exact reason you mentioned.

What size are you running right now?

right now i have 305/35 ZR24 112W's

i just took the pressures up to 43 all around and am going to be going for a ride in a little bit to see the difference

what year was your R1 ? i have a yamaha blue 1999

black 06. I had a total lack of self control and was afraid I would end up killing myself on it.

at 305/35 you still have some decent sidewall, so sidewall stiffness will be more a personal preference than a "your stuck with crap" trying to protect your rims.

Not sure where you are, but when I lived in Cali I always bought my tires from wheel works...and they had a 100 mile satisfaction guarntee. If you can find a shop like that you can test drive them before you are totally committed...I really think you are feeling the result of too much grip.

The only other think I will say is stay away from some of the cheaper brands (kuhmo, etc) although the tires can be pretty decent, you will have no way of knowing if they will go out of round or develop noise over time.

i love the new desgin raven r1's...

soo i pumped the tires up to 43 psi all around and the handling of the truck has improved dramatically.. although i am still having a vibration at around 70 that i really feel like shouldnt be there with the air ride suspension or at least shouldnt be as bad.. if u look over the passenger seat is really shaking..

how often should rims this size be balanced? im thinking theres no harm in having a tire shop take the rims off balance them and put them back on right ? they probably havent been balanced in a couple summers...

... and another question... what kind of damage am i doing right now driving with this vibration ? hubs, wheel bearings, etc. ?

does not hhurt anything at all to balance the wheels, and if the vibrations are that bad I say give it a try, they may have thrown a weight (or been removed for pictures). You should not have to deal with balancing them any more than any other rim (it is just more critical they are balanced properly).

Two thoughts as you go this route...
    1. specifically ask for the weights to be put on the inside of the rim, and not on the outer bead (you dont want a tire shop jacking up your rims cuz you arn't buying tires from them)
    2. ask if they can check to confirm the tires are actually round.

The grabbyness and the pulling i would blame on the zero's, the vibration i would not.

vibrations arn't good for it, but its not like its going to kill it right away either...if you have your original wheels, you can throw them back on and just haul the new ones in to be checked; most tire shops will charge less than $15/wheel.

keep in mind, in many respects air pressure is your friend.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.