Looking at Struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Looking at Struts in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well my right front strut is on it's way out (makes a terrible rubbing noise all the time) so I ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Looking at Struts

Well my right front strut is on it's way out (makes a terrible rubbing noise all the time) so I figure it's best to go ahead and replace both of them. I'm not going OEM because I can't afford $700 a piece struts, but instead was looking at Arnott since they offer the simplest solution. Now is it ok to combine Arnott front struts with the OEM shocks in the rear? My rears are still perfectly fine and I don't see why I should replace all 4. While I'm replacing the struts is there anything else I should look at getting done? I've read the top of the struts are usually something most people replace as well. I'm looking at doing this very soon (within 2-3 months) so I have plenty of time. My CV joints and front wheel bearings are only 2 years old, and the tie-rods are fine. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Looking at Struts

You'll definitely want to replace the strut mounts (and the bearings), the originals are likely cracked, maybe all the way through.

Monroe makes electronic struts that are a drop in replacement for the OEM ones, can be found on Rock Auto for about $400 each. Cheaper than OEM, but not Arnott.

I went the Monroe route when I replaced the front struts on my STS last year, total I paid in parts for 2 front struts and strut mounts was about $1000.

Are they basically the same as the OEM but just cheaper? I was worried about losing my ride due to going to passive struts, though at this point I just wanted to get them replaced. I'll have to check them out though; Thanks!

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

First thing to decide is - do you want to maintain OEM ride and handling, or are you willing to live with the compromise that comes with "passive" (less expensive) struts?

If you opt for the OEM ride and handling, there are web-based GM dealers who offer OEM parts for within a few dollars of Monroe prices.

As to the strut mounts (thrust bearings), I would only replace if necessary. My factory installed strut mounts are still smooth and quiet at 181,000+ miles.

I have a feeling in the end I will go with 1 OEM strut and wait for the other one to go. I really like the way the car handles and rides right now, and I don't want to compromise by going with passive struts. I plan on keeping the car for quite awhile so investing the $$$ will be worth it in the end. GMPartsDirect lists the strut for $598 which is reasonably ok, but the shipping is $124. If there is a place that offers a strut at a similar price with less shipping cost then I would be open to purchase it.

Plus, I've been bothered by throwing away a perfectly good strut on the drivers side. I will check with my dealership next week; i should be able to purchase it cheaper through there since thats where I work. Thanks for the help!

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I would consider the Monroe aftermarket equivalent over the OEM strut. For a little more than the price of 1 OEM strut you can get 2 of the Monroes. That way, even if the Monroe struts are not quite as good as the OEM, you'll at least have consistent handling whether turning left or right.

After all, having 1 new and 1 old strut could make for a car that behaves differently depending on which way you're turning. Not a good thing, in my opinion.

^This is true. I'm going to hold off for a while on the struts though, because it isn't throwing any codes and it's not a big problem right now. I'm going to focus on getting another motor mount and some other things first.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

slsonvogues is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS 140k miles

if an electronic strut goes bad would it throw a code? Ive got bad noises coming from the front when i hit a bump im afraid it might be time for new struts

It usually does throw a code depending on how bad the strut gets. In my case it wasn't the strut, but instead the swaybar bushings. Since that is the case I'm not going to worry about it unless my noise continues to get worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.