1992 DeVille Brake Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 1992 DeVille Brake Issue in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 92 DeVille w/ 68,000 miles. Today as I was driving home, the break pedal seemed to give ...
    Sporty883 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

1992 DeVille Brake Issue

I have a 92 DeVille w/ 68,000 miles. Today as I was driving home, the break pedal seemed to give a lot more than usual and I had to pump the breaks to come to a stop. Parked in space and noticed after some time a puddle of break fluid by my rear drivers side tire. Took off tire and couldn't see any leaks in the hoses but can definitely see fluid leaking inside of the drum.
    Anyways, going to shop this week to get brake job done on both rears but was wondering what I should get. Don't know a whole lot about drum breaks but they are very rusty, will I need to get a new set of drums and shoes or will just shoes be fine and have them clean the drums?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Re: 1992 DeVille Brake Issue

Why not just convert to disc?

That never crossed my mind, if I did that I would have to get a whole new set up which would include what? What about the parking break? I read that the reason why there are drum breaks are b/c they're cheaper and require less parts for the p break.

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

I'm not really sure what that would require and it may not be worth it just due to the conversion cost.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty883 View Post
    will I need to get a new set of drums and shoes or will just shoes be fine and have them clean the drums?
    Most likely a wheel cylinder has failed. Replace them on both sides. The drums will likely need to be turned. If they are out of spec they will need to be replaced. The shoes that got fluid soaked will have to be replaced and, as with tires, it is standard practice to replace both sides at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
    The shoes that got fluid soaked will have to be replaced and, as with tires.
    Replace the tire? Why is this necessary, can't I just clean the inside of the tire/rim?

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Sorry for any misunderstanding. When you replace tires you would normally want to replace them in pairs at least. The same applies to the wheel cylinders in question. I was drawing an analogy between wheel cylinders and tires. You certainly don't need to replace any tires due to this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.