Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Change Brake Pads Only???

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ewill3rd 
#1 ·
So I really still believe that I purchased from a reputable dealer! We had our new to us 2005 SRX N* AWD fully loaded out and the local mechanic stopped by and looked it over. He questioned me about the brakes and asked if the dealership did brake work, I was told that they had to do the brakes all around and the rear shocks ( Mag Ride Control suspension equipped) for the safety on it. He said he did see the new shocks, the brake pads were changed but the rotors were not machined.
They are grooved 2 more than the others ( haven't measured ), do I need to be concerned? Every time I have changed shoes or pads I was always told we had to machine rotors or drums, or just put new ones on.
I'm inclined to throw on 4 new rotors... Should I bug the dealer?
Should they have machined at least the 2 worst ones?

I want to continue our currently good relationship but don't want them to think they got one over on me. After all this is probably the most important safety feature of any car/truck/ SUV...

Thanks in advance and I guess this isn't specific to an SRX!

#2 ·
There are specifications for allowable grooves in the rotors; I believe it is 60 thousandths of an inch. Also, a recut is not absolutely required every time (especially if there is not enough rotor material for a recut) though I would think the dealer would step-up and do the right thing. He may however only did a nondirectional sanding and put on the new pads, which is acceptable but not ideal.

#3 ·
Unless they were really grooved, you're fine. Rotors and brakes today are much better than decades ago. You used to machine the rotors on either every pad change or every other.

I got about 50k miles on my V's front rotors. That was with a couple sets of pads and many track days in which I switch to race pads. The rotors were never machined and they were fine.

#4 ·
I agree with all of the above....rotors are one of those parts you can check to see if they need to be replaced or machined by measuring. Similar to bigjimsho, I change my pads when they are down to about 30%, and run specific pads when I know I am going to be hammering it. In short on the seville in the last few years I have used at least 4 sets of pads, but have not done anything with the rotors and they are still within spec.

Get the measurements for your rotors and what the minimum acceptable is, make your decisions based on that.

#5 ·
I remember there was a Factory advisory sent to dealers recommending that the "Rotors NOT TO BE TURNED/MACHINED," if there has been no rotor scarring and the rotor appears true (unwarped). The reason for this came from frequent complaints from owners of Cadillacs that constantly complained of noise while breaking after brake service.

I recommend you call and ask your Service Manager for the bulletin #.

#6 ·
On a side note, rotors will never look the same as they do new. They will always look like they have dozens of little grooves. But unless you can feel a ridge that has a pronounced edge, those little grooves don't reduce effectiveness of the rotor...

#8 ·
I would mirror what everyone is saying and add that turning them if they don't need it just wastes rotor material.
Those are softer rotors and they will wear thin just from normal use. Machining them unnecessarily will cause them to need replacement before their time.
They aren't supposed to look pretty, they are supposed to stop the car.
They should be measured to be sure they are not too thin already, if they are then they should certainly be replaced.

#9 ·
:D thanks for the feedback and insight. The dealer has agreed to turn the rotors if I want, no questions. I did hear brake squeal or so I thought, it was the backer plate rubbing on the front passenger side rotor, I fixed . Sounds like a non issue as I have good pedal, no vibration, no pulling... Think I'll be reasonable and forgo them turning the rotors. never know when i might need something, a favor, someday.
while I'm here, the rear inboard axle seals are sweating, not a dripping leak and I plan on just keeping an eye on this for a few months. Any of you seen this as a starting point for an up coming leak... failure in a short time period? I'm under GMPP for 24 months.
Thanks Pat.
Just so you know Jake is our 5yr old Golden Retriever who owns the back.

#11 ·
If it isn't making drips on something they won't fix it.
Sometimes those seals tend to do that and trying to change them can just make it worse.
I'd just keep an eye on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.