Pull ABS Codes from 1989 Deville?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Pull ABS Codes from 1989 Deville? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I do have the FSM for this car, and am having trouble figuring out how to or what I need ...
    tru504187211 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham

Pull ABS Codes from 1989 Deville?

I do have the FSM for this car, and am having trouble figuring out how to or what I need to purchase to be able to pull the ABS codes...

Anyone know how this is done? Does it have anything to do with the ALDL connector?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Pull ABS Codes from 1989 Deville?

On my 91 I have to pull codes while the ASB malfunction light is on. If car turned off or the light goes off, it doesn't retain fault codes. What does the FSM say regarding getting codes. ABS was a rare option on an 89 DeVille.

carnut: I went through the process it stated to grab the ABS codes, which is also on this page...

http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=2

...under the section called "The Quick Paper Clip Test", but in the FSM, it calls for pins A and H being grounded. Either way, no codes were present.

I may purchase the $60 cable with software, just to make sure. The FSM also has a chart that if the ABS light is present after driver with NO brake light, their chart seems to lead me to believe they suggest to check the grounding on the ABS unit.

(I'd scan in and post the chart, but that would probably be posting copyrighted material)

The cable is a waste of money. This car has all the self diagnostics you should need without any readers, scanners or cables

carnut: I did get a code by doing the pin test...21: main valve. So the FSM is telling me to measure the resistance between the J-35592 pin-out box pins 11 and 18. Am I able to measure the resistance if I don't have this pin-out box? Am I able to measure between certain ALDL pins?

Not sure if this is relevant of not, but I neglected to run the remainder of the codes, and it returns 3 codes in addition to 21. 35, 55, and 75 are all related to the LF speed sensor... So maybe that is the place to start...

AH HA!! Check for the speed sensor harness rubbing on a suspension item. Check where it bolts on for contamination. If the sensor has trouble reading wheel speed it will set ABS related codes. I had one years ago that was rubbed thru and was grounding only when the wheel was turned. Found it by removing the sensor harness from the hub to where it plugs in by the inner fender, turned it over and there was the bare wire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.