Eating Up Rotors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Eating Up Rotors in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I put new rotors and brakes on my 02 Seville in Jan (Raybestos) which made it about 10K miles before ...
    Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Eating Up Rotors

I put new rotors and brakes on my 02 Seville in Jan (Raybestos) which made it about 10K miles before warping and needing to be replaced. I just installed a new set of Delco Rotors and Pads in the rear about 2K ago and on deceleration down a hill I am feeling it in the seat. Could something be wrong with the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KlrOntherd is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 01STS

Re: Eating Up Rotors

So in January you put all new all round ? Is that correct ???
    Then after 10 K (before warpinmg you say)...
    You installed rotors and pads in the rear......(about 2k ago) ?????

your spending too much money on brakes and not enough on proper tire inflation. Why you change them soo often ?
    Im guessing your brakes are good. Maybe your not giving enough time for them to settle in. Or maybe your expecting and pushing too much for what you think is normal.

mythy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 98

He's saying they were good for 10K then they warped...

It could be your pads if there aggressive they can causes massive amounts of heat from the friction and in turn warp the rotors.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There's something else going on here: even a standard set of OEM rotors runs just short of red hot (yes, red hot) in autocross. Designed that way. Racing rotors/pads actually shed sparks on a road course. That's why most passenger cars have ventilated front rotors......to shed heat in town.

Yaemish, did you screw the rear caliper pucks back in during the brake job ?? Try a half dozen very aggressive stops from 80. That will bed the pads. You'll notice the last 3 stops in that series are not as abrupt: brake fade. Just make sure you drive 4 or 5 miles afterward to cool things down........

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Wait before you do anything mentioned above:

DID YOU REPLACE THE FRONT ROTORS AFTER REPLACING REAR ROTORS?

If you ONLY replaced rears DO NOT re-bed the brakes, you can warp the fronts and then you're going to be replacing fronts as well. I know because this EXACT thing happened to me with OEM rotors & pads. I had a shimmy due to a partially siezed rear caliper, after rebuilding and replacing rear rotors and pads I re-beded the brakes and took a chunk out of one of the front rotors. I replaced them all with aftermarket NON-OEM rotors and pads for a fraction of the price and have had no problems for 20k miles with barely any rotor wear with superior stopping. I think I paid $250 for all 4 rotors and all 4 sets of pads

As for your next question I went with R1-Concepts slotted and X-drilled (I tend to be aggressive and take this car to Road Atlanta once a year) with Axxis Metal Master Semi-Metalics. I would recommend Ceramics from Hawk if you want the best performance hot, but for DD and low dusting nothing beats Semi-Metalic IMO and Axxis is better than Raybestos or ACDelco IMO. Also, right now on Rockauto Raybestos or ACDelco rotors each cost $100 or more for fronts, a bit less for rears, so you're talking about a $400+ job for all 4 corners or alot less if you go aftermarket...

KlrOntherd is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 01STS

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I had a shimmy due to a partially siezed rear caliper, .
    I had that one time to.
    It took a long long time before some one told me why.
    It was after the emergency brake cable seized for me. Then a guy in a small shop (not A dealer) found out that one of the calipers in the back was a little bit siezed too.

I also had one time that the people that sold me my pads and rotors were scammers.
    What happened was they convinced me on hard pads that last long but didnt convince me on rotors to match.
    I found out later that the kind of quality of pads and rotors should be the same.

tommytone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I bought a set of front and rear rotors from Ebay. I'm using Hawk pads. I think that the pads where too agressive for the rotors and worped them. It made so much noise(plus chatter etc.) that I thought it was bad hubs. I was toying with the idea to change to slotted and holed rotors of decent quality. But I'm going with Autozone gold series rotors and matched duralast pads this time. I got the rear rotors turned with plenty left but for some reason the fronts would not take a cut with in spects. Must have been them cheap ebay rotors for less..LOL. Buyer beware. If the fronts work out then I'll change the rears also. I do like the hawk Pads a lot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.