Drilled and Slotted brake rotors..? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Drilled and Slotted brake rotors..? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Unless you're doing track days with your car, drilled, dimpled, or slotted rotors likely won't help you. However, bigger discs ...
    ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Re: Drilled and Slotted brake rotors..?

Unless you're doing track days with your car, drilled, dimpled, or slotted rotors likely won't help you. However, bigger discs and pads will. If you're looking at budget gains, I'd start with Hawk Performance brake pads, and stickier tires, if that's not enough, call Baer and look at one of their big brake kits. Something noone has mentioned is that drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors all have increased pad wear characteristics. All the designs give extra edges, notches, grooves that cut into the pad and shorten its life. You should decide what your overall needs are, and what tradeoffs you're willing to give. Balance cost, performance, looks, maintenance, etc, before deciding.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

As I understand it (I had PowerSlots on my '97 STS and was Very Happy with them), the slots & holes/dimples have Much Less to do with cooling than they do with "venting" the gases that are produced under braking.

You do not have to be on a track to get a benefit from this!

Just as your tires can Hydroplane, your pads can "float", a little, on the cushion of gas they produce as the material is burned-up.

Mine never cracked, warped, or glazed and I used ceramic pads and did a Bunch of hard braking.

Big Red's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood with a 472, 2002 DTS, and an 09 CTS-V sedan

As for using crossed drilled rotors, I currently have them on my 02 DTS. I have noticed better stopping at high speeds but over time they still have issues with warping. In theory, swapping out your current stock rotors with crossed drilled rotors with the same outer diameter, you'll decrease the surface area for stopping due the number of holes drilled and the number of slots machined into the rotor. I have had issues with stuff coming out of the holes of the rotors and creating grooves in the pads and the rotors. I used the Raybestos performance rotors and Raybestos ceramice pads. After awhile, my rotors did have a slight warp to them which required remachining. This was a pain in the butt. I tried remachining them with an on car brake lathe which left chatter marks in the finish. Then I took them off the car and used a bench brake lathe which took three attempts with a number of silencers to solve the chattered finish from the vibration. I have not seen any cracking in my rotors but that does not mean it will not happen at some point. If you really need the stopping power, then get a good set of rotors and pads that will hold up. My friend purchased a set of ebay crossed drilled rotors for a 99 STS and only got about 15k miles or so before it needed new pads and the rotors remachined. It sounds good to save a few bucks on ebay but it may not last long depending on your usage.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

I don't think it's really advisable to cut drilled rotors though....

It is Very important that those holes are chamfered so that they Don't crack.

Did you re-chamfer all holes on both sides after cutting?

Big Red's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood with a 472, 2002 DTS, and an 09 CTS-V sedan

I did not re-chamfer the holes. The hole had a slight machined radius to the hole. Yes re-machining the rotor is more aggresive than natural wear and tear daily driving but the cracking is something I will keep an eye on. Under extreme applications I can see where replacing the rotors would be more likely, however, with new cutting bits, a good brake lathe, and numerous silencers I was able re-machine my rotors with little to no chatter/vibrations in the finish. I don't really recommend everybody to do the same. This was just my experience with crossed drilled rotors. I do not want to mislead anybody on here.

Blown & Injected is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    As I understand it (I had PowerSlots on my '97 STS and was Very Happy with them), the slots & holes/dimples have Much Less to do with cooling than they do with "venting" the gases that are produced under braking.

You do not have to be on a track to get a benefit from this!

Just as your tires can Hydroplane, your pads can "float", a little, on the cushion of gas they produce as the material is burned-up.

Mine never cracked, warped, or glazed and I used ceramic pads and did a Bunch of hard braking.
    from the Baer Brake FAQ page:
    What are the benefits to cross-drilling, slotting, and zinc-washing my rotors?
    In years past, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as "green pad fade" or "outgassing". When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but simply little or no friction. Since this normally happens only at temperatures witnessed in racing, this can be very exciting! However, with today´s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer much of a concern. When shopping for races pads, or even ultra high performance road pads, look for the phrases, "dynamic surface treatment", "race ready", and/or, "pre-burnished". When these or similar statements are made by the pad manufacturer, the pad in question will likely have little or no problem with “outgassing”. Ironically more pedestrian pads used on most streetcars will still exhibit “outgassing”, but only when used at temperatures normally only encountered on the racetrack. Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.