tire fit ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, tire fit ? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I need some newer wheels for my 92 eldo.,stock rim is 16" x 7",theres a good deal on some wheels ...
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

tire fit ?

I need some newer wheels for my 92 eldo.,stock rim is 16" x 7",theres a good deal on some wheels that are 16" x 7.5", would these be safe to put
    my 225/16/R16 tires on?. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: tire fit ?

Creeker, go here: http://www.michelinman.com/ and plug in your data. The Michelin site will tell you what size wheels will fit that size tire. I'm assuming you meant 225/60-16R (and yes they will fit a 7.5" wheel) but also take into consideration whether the slightly wider wheel will fit in your wheel well (probably will though).

95caddykid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 cadillac deville concours, 2004 pontiac GTO

so then how wide of a tire can you fit before it starts to hit the wheel wells?

iv been looking at a set of 2000 deville wheels.. the tires r shot but if the rims fit il take the offer lol

doesnt cadillac use a standard rim and tire size for all models and years?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No, there are many tire sizes and ratings used on Cadillacs, and you need to know what wheel is stock for your car so you maintain the same offset and bolt circle. Your driver's door sticker gives the original tire size. Plug that into selections from www.tirerack.com or www.michelinman.com in order to get your original tire dimensions. The two that are critical are outside diameter (determines how far the tire rolls in one revolution, and so determines speedo and engine calibrations) and section width (determines fit in the wheelwell, among other specs....).

Actual tire width is determined by the rim width - the distance between the beads the tire will tolerate.

A` 235/55/17 tire has a section width of 235mm, a section height that is 55% of that figure, and a rim diameter of 17". The other specs are all listed in individual tire spec sheets which you get from the above websites. If you don't do it correctly, you wind up with an expensive can of worms......

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    No, there are many tire sizes and ratings used on Cadillacs, and you need to know what wheel is stock for your car so you maintain the same offset and bolt circle. Your driver's door sticker gives the original tire size. Plug that into selections from www.tirerack.com or www.michelinman.com in order to get your original tire dimensions. The two that are critical are outside diameter (determines how far the tire rolls in one revolution, and so determines speedo and engine calibrations) and section width (determines fit in the wheelwell, among other specs....).

Actual tire width is determined by the rim width - the distance between the beads the tire will tolerate.

A` 235/55/17 tire has a section width of 235mm, a section height that is 55% of that figure, and a rim diameter of 17". The other specs are all listed in individual tire spec sheets which you get from the above websites. If you don't do it correctly, you wind up with an expensive can of worms......
    Great explanation,thanks,I have a 97 sts and a 92 eldo, they are both +40 mm. offset, I want to get some new wheels for my 92,is it safe to stray from the 40 mm. off set at all? thank you

Offset is the horizontal difference between the bearing hub centerline and the wheel centerline. Offset determines, among other things, how the wheel/tire loads the pair of roller bearings in the hub.

Decreasing offset (moving the wheel into the well) has less effect on bearing loads than increasing offset (moving the wheel out of the well, usually in order to prevent rubbing by larger section tires....).

The exaggerated result of increased offset is the urban ricer with the tire/wheel combination that looks like a John Deere tractor setup. In those cases, wheel bearing life is zippo.

A SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) is that changing offset by 5 -6 mm (1/4") either way would have little effect on bearing life. It may have some effect on suspension geometry.

Offset is the horizontal difference between the bearing hub centerline and the wheel centerline. Offset determines, among other things, how the wheel/tire loads the pair of roller bearings in the hub.

Decreasing offset (moving the wheel into the well) has less effect on bearing loads than increasing offset (moving the wheel out of the well, usually in order to prevent rubbing by larger section tires....).

The exaggerated result of increased offset is the urban ricer with the tire/wheel combination that looks like a John Deere tractor setup. In those cases, wheel bearing life is zippo.

A SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) is that changing offset by 5 -6 mm (1/4") either way would have little effect on bearing life. It may have some effect on suspension geometry.
    Thanks for explaining that,I also did a search and found one of your other explanations on tire diameter size, I was thinking of going to 17" on my 92 eldo.,I kinda got the feeling you didn't think it was a good move,would it effect anything that would harm the car?. Thank you

Not sure which previous post you're referring to, but my position has always been that, to change to a different wheel diameter, you should stay as close as possible to the original outside tire diameter, pay attention to section width to prevent wheelwell rubbing problems, and don't get crazy like 20's or 22's because that ruins ride comfort and driveabilty.

Exaggerated wheel diameters along with the necessary decrease in section heights drastically increases suspension component wear due to constant road shock loading, especially in a city driving environment, what with potholes, bumps, lousy road conditions.

Not sure which previous post you're referring to, but my position has always been that, to change to a different wheel diameter, you should stay as close as possible to the original outside tire diameter, pay attention to section width to prevent wheelwell rubbing problems, and don't get crazy like 20's or 22's because that ruins ride comfort and driveabilty.

Exaggerated wheel diameters along with the necessary decrease in section heights drastically increases suspension component wear due to constant road shock loading, especially in a city driving environment, what with potholes, bumps, lousy road conditions.

I went back quite a ways when I found the post,I'm an old guy so I wont be going crazy ,17" would be about my extent,thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I went back quite a ways when I found the post,I'm an old guy so I wont be going crazy ,17" would be about my extent,thanks for your help.
    Forgot to mention that 17" seems to be more common then 16" now,that's why I was asking.

G0LF0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Hello everyone!

Would a Nokian tire size 295/30R22 103V XL fits a Cadillac Escalade Wheel, 22" x 9" (55.9 cm x 22.9 cm) multi-spoke chromed aluminum where the wheel has 285/45/22 tire on it?

I would really appreciate anyone's help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.