Monroe Shocks and Struts installed, review of handling.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Monroe Shocks and Struts installed, review of handling. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well, I ended up buying the passive Monroe Sensatrack front struts, and the Monroe rear air shocks. Replace all the ...
    danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Monroe Shocks and Struts installed, review of handling.

Well, I ended up buying the passive Monroe Sensatrack front struts, and the Monroe rear air shocks. Replace all the mounts and isoltators for the suspension front and rear as well. It's only been a few days, but the ride is pretty comfortable. It's a little bouncy in the rear going over washboard surfaced roads, but other than that it's real smooth around town and on the highway. Feels nice and tight around the corners to, with much less roll than the car had even with the struts and shocks were good. Overall ride is firmer that it used to be, but I'm happy with it, since I was looking for a firmer ride anyway...plus the car handles better now too. Much flatter in turns than I remember.

On a side note, although I was warned not to, I ended up reusing the old solenoids from the original shocks and struts. As long as you have a bucket to dump the shock oil, a hammer, and a strong pair of needle nose pliers its really easy to do. I just tapped on the housing and the cap on the back. Then used the needle nose pliers like a spanner wrench gripping the cap in two of the four holes and spinning it right off. The solenoid can then be pulled out. Just tip the end of the shock/strut over the bucket facing down, and using a flat head screw driver, wiggle the solenoid loose. Some fluid may spray out but only for a brief second after the solenoid is cracked loose. The just wiggle it free and toss the shock/strut in the garbage. I zip tied the four solenoids up in the car and it worked just fine, no messages or anything.

Overall level of work difficulty...probably 7 out of 10 but I would say anyone's who mechanically inclined and has the right tool, friends to help and plenty of time food and beer could get it done of the weekend. Had to buy a spring compressor, but I got a cheapr universal one at pep boys for $50 that worked like a charm. Air tools are a must, especially for the two bolts securing the front struts to the spindles....they were tough, even with an impact gun putting out 1000lb/ft in reverse.

All in all, the whole jobs cost about $500 or so in parts, and took about 5-6 hours to do all four in one sitting.

Next, I still have to replace the front stabilizer bar bushings and end links. Got the end links from moog (blue, heavy duty links) and will be getting the stabilizer bar bushings from energy Suspenion. Still have that damn clunk from the bar hitting the sub frame.

Also note: when doing the rear schoks yourself, remember to place a jack under the control arm. This way when you remove the old shock, the spring tesion does not force the arm down, and when you install the new shock, you can raise the arm and shorten the distance you have to pull the shock out. Makes it a little easier to install, and prevents the possibility of the spring flying out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jpix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

Re: Monroe Shocks and Struts installed, review of handling.

bump

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.