Cadillac Owners Forum banner
964 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mattakat 
#1 ·
Ok, last week i start hearing this howling noise coming from the front, only when the car was rolling, thought it could the CVs or the wheel bearing. Noise would get louder if i turned to the right and dissappeared when i turned to the left , got smart and swapped the bearings and everything reversed (louder now when turning to the left, etc). noticed a little water from the right bearing when swapping - didn't think of it then but now i suppose the bearing went bad due to a leaking rear seal, which if that is the case my good bearing is now using - at any rate i plan on replacing them both. I am assuming the rear seal comes with the assy, Does press in from the front when you install the bearing? Anything i should watch for? Is there any place i can get the bearing assy for less than $218 ea?

Also, i have a strange issue with the ABS, the dash icon is on 99% of the time (started about a month ago). anyway, every once in a while the light stays off, then when coming up to a stop it seems like the ABS kicks in and i will "slip" a foot or two before it catches again - could this be a speed sensor or a soleniod? is this something i should try and fix while replacing the bearings? darn thing works fine when the light is on...

#2 ·
OK Ok... My bad... once i looked at the new bearings everything came together. when i pulled the old ones for the swap - the back part of the bearing with the sensor attached did not come out with the rest of the bearing - this happened on both sides so it appeared to be normal (never changed this type before). Had to pry out the left overs and slapped in the new bearings and all is now well... no noise, no more ABS light - ABS is working fine.

Sorry for my confusion...:bonkers:

#4 ·
nothing special, pull out your center cap and make sure you have a socket to fit the nut that holds everything in place.

Jack 'er up and pull the wheels, move the brake calipars (do not need to disconnect) to get the rotor off and use a small pry bar to pull out the bearings. Mine split so make sure you get the back half out.

maybe takes 30min per side - pretty painless if you already have a floor jack and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.