service suspension system bypass '99-'04
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, service suspension system bypass '99-'04 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Okay, after doing a lot of searching, I can not find anywhere on this site (or online) where this is ...
    MrEr1c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Okay, after doing a lot of searching, I can not find anywhere on this site (or online) where this is posted.

There are a bunch of us out there who have replaced our active struts with passive ones on our '98-'04 Cadillacs and are now getting the "service suspension system" and "speed limited to 90mph" warnings. Apparently the Arnott kit comes with a bypass but I have learned through searching that you can also just splice in a resistor to bypass the error.

What i am asking for is a write-up or how-to, for the electronically challenged,on how and where to splice in this resistor that is supposed to fool the system and bypass the errors. If anyone knows how to, it would be much appreciated if you could explain this to us.

Here, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-opinion.html , JimD explains this "Radioshack resistor" method but does not show a how-to. Just the needed resistors.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: service suspension system bypass '99-'04

It really does not require much of a how-to. Simply locate the chassis connector that the strut solenoid used to be connected to and plug the resistor into the connector socket as if the resistor was the strut solenoid.

Insulate and waterproof the connection with a baggie. Done.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

What strikes me as odd is this, when replaced my rear struts and spliced the connections into the resitors i got no service suspension message @ all, I recently replaced the front struts with the plug in modulators & i get "service ride control" message. I don't know why, & it really bothers me.
    I miss my monitored systems ok message.

MrEr1c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Because I was not the one who installed the passive struts, I do not know where this chassis connector is located. I have gotten under the car and looked but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I see a few connectors which appear to be for the brakes. If someone could give a description or a picture of it, that would be much appreciated.

You are saying struts so I'm guessing front.

The connector you are looking for is inside the engine bay, attached to the inside of the subframe (going on memory here) and accessible from the bottom. One on the left and one on the right.

If you are really lucky, whoever removed the OEM struts simply cut the wire harness from the old strut and tucked it up out of the way. Might be easy to find. The wire harness will lead you to the connector.

rainmen2k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

there are 3 wires on this plug which ones do you insatll the resister on?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainmen2k View Post
    there are 3 wires on this plug which ones do you insatll the resister on?thanks
    You must be looking at the connector for the suspenion position sensor.

What code(s) are you trying to bypass or prevent? If you are dealing with aftermarket non-elecrtonic (passive) struts or an OEM strut that is flagging a code, you are looking for a two pin connector as described in a previous post.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Reviving an old thread here but I'm trying to finally rid myself of this annoying "Service Suspension System" message. I read the codes which appear to related to my compressor. I do not plan on buying a new compressor since I already replaced my rear suspension with an active coil strut and inserted the resistor's into the wiring which JimD suggested. I covered these electrical ends up with electrical tape with the resistor installed and zip tied them up out of the way. After doing this my rear end sits much higher than before however the "Service Suspension" message still persists. Im assuming that my front suspension connectors will need the resistors as well? Or will I have to replace my compressor so that the message will not appear? I just don't understand why there isn't a way to pull the fuse so the entire system itself does not have power to report any malfunctions.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. After I can fix this then it's on to my stupid CD Player which has recently stopped playing CD's and gives me an error message everytime no matter what style cd (burned or not).

Quote Originally Posted by blackex View Post
    ....I'm trying to finally rid myself of this annoying "Service Suspension System" message. I read the codes which appear to related to my compressor.
    What are the codes? Specifically the "C" (Chassis codes).
    I do not plan on buying a new compressor since I already replaced my rear suspension with an active coil strut and inserted the resistor's into the wiring which JimD suggested.
    Not sure what you mean by an "active coil strut". The rear suspension design uses an old school shock absorber with the addition of a damping rate solenoid valve (which most folks call an "active" component) plus an air bladder to compensate for weight added to or removed from the trunk and rear seat.
    ....Im assuming that my front suspension connectors will need the resistors as well?
    Bad assumption. There is no way to answer that question before you tell us the "C" code or codes flagging your SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message.

JimD thanks for the prompt response.

The codes displayed are C1738 and C1711.

I replaced the rear with regular coil struts since the bladders were both worn out and not holding air. I put in the correct resistor in place of the connector that was originally hooked up to the stock struts.

I unplugged the passenger side connector so far and placed a resistor in it's place, electrical tapped it, and stuck it up out of the way and man that was not easy. Using a floor jack and squeezing underneath to place a resistor and electrical tape it in place with one hand was interesting to say the least.

----------

After reading some other threads on the C1711 it sounds like there is an issue on the CVRSS and the 1k resistor in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...11-98-sts.html) may be the issue for the C1711 code if I still get the code after placing the resistor in the connectors place.

But I don't believe this will fix the code i'm getting for the compressor (C1738). Does the system check to make sure the compressor works even though the ride height should read accurate? I just don't want to pay to replace a compressor for the code to go away if I have no use for a compressor anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by blackex View Post
    JimD thanks for the prompt response.

The codes displayed are C1738 and C1711.
    You have two seperate issues. Keep them seperate and deal with them one at a time.
    C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND
    This relates to a KEY ON test of the rear leveling air bladders that were a designed part of your rear suspension shocks when your car rolled off the assembly line. Since you have....
    ....replaced the rear with regular coil struts since the bladders were both worn out and not holding air....
    I have no idea how to defeat that test without the presence of air bladders to adjust the rear level.
    C1711 - Left Front Damper Actuator Short Circuit to Ground
    This could easily be a wire harness damage issue or a failed LF strut solenoid. Installing a 4.7 KOhm resistor "as a test" might provide a clue.
    ....I unplugged the passenger side connector so far and placed a resistor in it's place, electrical tapped it, and stuck it up out of the way and man that was not easy.
    Wrong side!
    After reading some other threads on the C1711 it sounds like there is an issue on the CVRSS and the 1k resistor in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...11-98-sts.html) may be the issue for the C1711 code if I still get the code after placing the resistor in the connectors place.
    You are not there yet. Put away the shotgun and stick with the rifle approach.

JimD,

I put resistors in the rear connectors which I thought would tell the system that everything was at normal operating ranges. I might just try and find an operating ELC on ebay to keep that as an option if all else fails.

I will after work today, put the resistor in the drivers side connector. If I only had a lift it would make life so much easier. I will let you know if that eliminates a code after the resistor is installed.

You are not there yet. Put away the shotgun and stick with the rifle approach.
    Come on i'm 26, I try to nail out as many issues at once as possible lol and seeing a constant service suspension system message drives me crazy. I may have also never been diagnosed with ADD either lol.

Yup no luck replacing the drivers side with the resistor. Same 2 codes come up. Time to move onto the CVRSS module I believe to see if that can fix the issue.

Rawben is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS

Question Re: service suspension system bypass '99-'04

Please advise me if I should start a new thread or continue on this one since it's related. I'm happy to repost.

We too have the Service Suspension error on the dash board. But, since our Caddy just became operatable again today after doing Jake's method (because of overheating), we're on to the next project with her.

I've cleared all the codes, so were starting fresh. She has not been "driven" nor has she been started 50 times (as per another posting on how to obtain codes). But, the Service Suspension erroe on the dash is showing since the codes were cleared.

I have C1710, C1743 and C1782 (all History) are coming up. Since our codes are different then Blackex, I'm not sure where to start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.