5,500 for new shocks!!!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 5,500 for new shocks!!!? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I was talking to a guy at the dealership who saw my car and was interested in buying it until ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

5,500 for new shocks!!!?

I was talking to a guy at the dealership who saw my car and was interested in buying it until he saw the little black wires going into the top of the strut or shock tower. He said "I didn't know Caddies had the air ride in 1991, my '95 had 'em and when 1 shock went bad, they would not sell me one, Cadillac makes me buy all four!" Total cost 5500 (Canadian dollars of course.) I guess this kinda freaks me out a little. I couldn't afford to fix something like this. It is way overpriced! Why so much? Why would the CCR go bad anyway? Is it just higher mileage cars that might suffer from this problem? Also, what are "passive struts" from other threads, I've seen this term?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Well, you can, as you probably know, replace them with passive struts (ie not controlled my the computer, normal struts basically). Active is just what it means, it is active and changes the damping force at any given time. Passive struts have the same damping force all the time. The CCR goes bad because, like all struts, go bad. Thats just the nature of the beast.

Supposedly the CCR gives the car a better ride, but I have heard that the rides with active and passive struts are about the same.

The CCR system usually doesnt go bad until close to 100k miles, so you have a long way to go

That's great to know, thanks. IF I still have the car I would just put regular gas-charged struts and shocks then.

I wouldnt see any reason to get rid of it.... Resale isnt going to be the best, and something with such low miles is becoming extremely rare.....

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Wait a sec. Ralph. You have a FWD Fleetwood, right? Not the Big body RWD Brougham? That would make more sence. I'm sit'n here reading this woundering what the hell ya'll are talkin about and equating it to the Big 4 dr.

Scrapyard: yeah, mine is a FWD, and I hope that still means that I can simply put in the so called passive struts and shocks. Wes, thats why I was considering selling it NOW, because it was hardly driven by my stepdad. I was actually offered 22,000 which is probably like 10,000 U.S.? Enough for a Neon, but who wants one of those!

Dude, dont sell it..... Save it, there cant be very many with only 22k. Save some money and get another car as a daily, because in 10 years it will be worth a fortune.....

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I agree with Wes on that one.

Ideally, yeah, but in ten years, we will probably all be driving electric cars in Canada (because the Liberal Govt. wants to adopt the Kyoto Protocal) and in ten years gas in Canada will be 4.00 a litre!? For now I am trying th keep the K off of it.

Well that would almost make it better.... You buy a tank, take it out once a week to keep it running good, and drive the electric as a daily.... Maybe you dont understand, but i know of someone who just paid 17k for a 1990 Q45 with 46k!!!! People value cars that have been meticulously kept WITH low miles... There are many cars out there with low miles (50k or so), but may have only had 4 oil changes in their life. IF you have done everything according to the book, and continue it, it will be worth a fortune.

When you watch a car show, and see people that bought 20 year old cars that were origional for like $60k, and their in mint condition.... THAT COULD BE YOU!!!

Puerto Rican LoLa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I think you should keep the car cuz like everyone else said its gunna be worth money and if you get another car as ur daily u'll value the caddy more,don't sell it

Its pretty unanimous, ralph!!

Thanks, for now I'll keep it unless one of you offers me a house for it!! LOL

Why would you want a house, your caddy has heat, AC, and a big comfy couch..... What more do you need????

(maybe just a TV and your laptop so you can talk to us)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.