5,500 for new shocks!!!? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 5,500 for new shocks!!!? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Night Wolf Ralph, he is talking about the Town Car, they use air bag suspension... sweet ride, ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 5,500 for new shocks!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Ralph, he is talking about the Town Car, they use air bag suspension... sweet ride, but really expensive to fix, and when they go, unlike the Caddy which you can see drive then the SSS/CCR ssytem has errors, once the air bags blow, the back end of the car is now a 2" off ground low rider... really bad for the car.....
    What exactly does our front suspension have? Air bags, or a tube with a compressor line feeding it?

Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ok ralph. basically our suspension uses the struts not the springs to adjust the suspension. the ford method is air springs and conventional shocks. the gm is conventional springs and air shocks or struts. If you look at the strut tower in the engine compartment and see electric wires you know you will have a better ride, but a more expensive fix. Now GM is using magnetic particles. 2004 Cadillac SRX and the Corvette as far as i know have a magnetic suspension. Faster response than our mini air compressors

and btw MB is crap. who's gonna fix it? my bought a ml 430 2001 and it was window switch, speaker, MAF sensor, water pump, and the bearing were/are bad and that's with only 40k miles. sorry i know the car rides awesome, but unless i can get a mechanic... or afford a lease sorry i'd rather not.

LEXUS OWNS.. just did the HUD on my mom's 93 SC 400
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464194234

check it out for all you frustrated lexus owners who don't want to pay 600 bux for a new gauge cluster.

p.s. if you don't have the electric wires on your 91 fleet on the front struts. To do the rear shocks right its gonna be about 800-1k that's springs, shocks, shock mounts and 4 wheel alignment
    AC Delco parts only of course.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    ok ralph. basically our suspension uses the struts not the springs to adjust the suspension. the ford method is air springs and conventional shocks. the gm is conventional springs and air shocks or struts. If you look at the strut tower in the engine compartment and see electric wires you know you will have a better ride, but a more expensive fix. Now GM is using magnetic particles. 2004 Cadillac SRX and the Corvette as far as i know have a magnetic suspension. Faster response than our mini air compressors

and btw MB is crap. who's gonna fix it? my bought a ml 430 2001 and it was window switch, speaker, MAF sensor, water pump, and the bearing were/are bad and that's with only 40k miles. sorry i know the car rides awesome, but unless i can get a mechanic... or afford a lease sorry i'd rather not.

check it out for all you frustrated lexus owners who don't want to pay 600 bux for a new gauge cluster.

p.s. if you don't have the electric wires on your 91 fleet on the front struts. To do the rear shocks right its gonna be about 800-1k that's springs, shocks, shock mounts and 4 wheel alignment
    Good info! And thanks for explaining it simple for me. I'm no mechanic, as I only do general maintenance, tune-ups, and oil changes weather permitting. Yup, I got the wires going into my front strut towers. But why would the front strut wires (air shocks) make a difference in the cost of the rears? ok, I'm assuming it's because GM recommends doing all 4 which is very costly and hopefully NOT necessary IMO! Midas will certainly be an option if the price from GM is astronomical.

JD Power (I believe) says MB is on par with the quality of a Chev. (tied for 12th place) The Lexus info is shocking because Lexus is supposed to be the most reliable and quality vehicle on the planet right now! Just goes to show the Japanese are not that infallable. Everyone just assumes they will not break down for at least 10 years. LOL!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe

MB is crap if you judge them by the single shyttiest vehicle theyve ever sold. My friend has an 98' ML320 and I agree that thing is a total piece... it creaks and squeaks in the suspension, its plasticky and hard inside, the distance to empty cuts off English at like 75 miles but doesnt cut off metric til 0, cupholders are broken, throttle sticks...etc. I dont know what MB was thinking with the ML but they better rectify it with the next generation (the current one has been a sitting duck for like 3 years) or theyre gonna start losing luxury SUV customers who cant afford the entirely better G500, perhaps it was because it was their first vehicle produced here, the new R-Class and next M class should arrive soon though.

In any case my point was not whether MB or Lexus are good or bad, but rather that we should take a clue from them in customer choice, if I dont want a gizmo laden suspension, I shouldnt have to be forced into it. Id like to be able to choose my suspension option. I think the Corvette currently has an optional electronic system, but its not standard, which is cool.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

ok, forget everything about Lincoln for right now:

the CCR/SSS works like this:

car has 4 wheel independent suspension

each wheel has a regular spring and strut

the REAR strusts are air-shock type struts (Cadillac has been using these things forever)

there is a small compressor under the hood that pumps are into the lines to RAISE or LOWER the REAR struts (therfore changing ride height...of the back of the car)

with the CCR/SSS ALL 4 struts are electronically controled.

the strusts that are electronically controlled have wires going to them

the selonied in the electronic strusts goes bad

they cannot be replaced

the whole strut must be repalced

they are expensive

The alternative is to use PASSIVE struts for ALL 4 wheels... they are regular struts and are NOT comtrolled by the computer

they are alot cheaper

for the back you will use AIR STRUTS, that way the car can still turn the compressor on/off to raise/lower the back of the car (make it level)

Lincoln uses AIRBAGS instead of AIR SHOCKS, but I am not gonna get into that....

Well I'm not 100% sure, but on my 90 Caddy that doesn't have the totally active suspension and that's how much it cost. I'm not sure if its any different on my 93 caddy, I didn't price the rears so i'm basically goin on that.

The actuators are not only ride leveling but an active suspension that increases ride tighness as speed increases. I believe its defined as 3 rides: comfort, normal, and sport. Comfort from 0-32 mph, normaly from 33-64 mph, and sport 65+. If the Service SSS light comes on the car defaults to sport mode full time, which has happened to me now. Personally, I enjoy the way the car rides so much better in this mode cause the low speed handling was lacking and far too bouncy, can bottom out easy.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

yeah, that's about right... 5mph and under the car would go into Sport mode also for speed bumps and stuff....

...the thing i like, is there is the g-thingy and under heavy acceleration, braking and turning, it'll automatically turn it to sport mode....really neat....

Ya its a great idea, but not for long term usage on the car cause the price

but I still want to keep the car original... dilemma dilemma

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.