5,500 for new shocks!!!? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 5,500 for new shocks!!!? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I like the floaty ride. What did they with the wires that go into the top of the strut towers?...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I like the floaty ride. What did they with the wires that go into the top of the strut towers?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 5,500 for new shocks!!!?

Goto www.caddyinfo.com and look in the FAQ and HOWTO... There is a series of things you can do to make the computer not even look for the SSS!

titusc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello Max,

Wow that certainly clear things up. I believe I only have the ELC on my '91 deVille, with nothing like SSS, RSS, CVSS. Now I don't see any messages displayed on the dashboard but my rear end of the car is extremely low. How much do you think it'd cost to fix just the rear end?

Also, where can I go to find adjustable shocks to replace the original fronts? I want better control and the front wheels are probably the place to do it. Are there shocks for the rear wheels as well? My understanding is if it is just ELC, the air ride only acts as a spring, not the shocks. Is that correct?

Titus

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

Titus,

The Computer Command Ride (CCR) was available as an option on your 91 Deville so your car may or may not have it. As for the car being low, it could be a number of reasons. The first place to start would be your compressor. Turn your key to the "ON" position without starting the car and wait about 30 seconds to a minute for compressor to start. It is located under the hood on the driver's side and you will hear it come on. It cycles for a few seconds to pressurize the system and then turns off if there is no excess load in the vehicle. If the rear of the car is low, it may mean that you have a leak and then the compressor may continue to run. If the compressor does not come on at all, it is either malfunctioning or there is a problem with the electrical circuit. Assuming that it is OK, the next step would be to disconnect the link at the height control module. It is located under the car, between the 2 rear wheels *(you should be able to slide under the rear of the car without having to hoist it up). The link disconnects very easily by undoing the clip and then removing the link from it's socket. Again, with the ignition "ON" and the engine not running, pull the lever on the height control module down and hold it there for a few seconds. This should activate the compressor. At this point, if it does run, you will probably have to look for an air leak. Inspect the rubber boot on the 2 rear shocks for leaks. You can get a plastic bottle and fill it with soapy water and spray it on the rubber boots to see if it bubbles up indicating a leak. Also do this at the connectors to the shock and at the compressor.

Max

That Max, he knows his stuff, eh Titus?

Hello Max,

So if the compressor does run, and the car is still low, wouldn't that imply the shocks are leaking? I'm not following the logic for checking the height control module. Also, this link for the height control module is a mechanical rod of some sort, not an electrical link, right? Is it at the middle of the car between the two rear wheels, or closer to one side than the other? I don't know as I've never looked under.

Titus

Hello,

Yeah Max knows his stuff. Maybe he's a GM tech.

Titus

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls
    Titus,

The Height Control Module is the actual brain of the ELC system. Even if the compressor is functioning properly and there is no leak in the system, the module would "decide" where to keep the rear height of the vehicle. If it is not properly sensing that the rear of the vehicle is low, then the compressor will not come on to raise it.

The link is mechanical. It is basically a small metal link that connects the Height Control Module arm to the rear suspension. It is slightly off center between the 2 rear tires.

I am not a GM tech or any other sort of tech for that matter, I just really love Cadillacs!

Max

Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

WAS INCORRECT ON MY ORIGINAL POST I EDITED AND FIXED THE TERMINAL LOCATIONS

I have the same problem with a Service SSS light also on my Cadillac. I work at a mechanic shop and have access to the all data mechanic aid program, and let me say its a big help. If you have a paper clip you can read the diagnostic code numbers and if you want I will look them up and give you the diagnostic procedure you can use. Take the paper clip and make it in the shape of a U. Then under the middle of your front passenger compartment under the radio by where your feet go you will see a large 12 pin connector. I know its on the LEFT side of the connector, TOWARD THE DRIVER'S SIDE, but i'm not sure if its the top or the bottom portion since its pretty much like this

......|......
    .OOOOOO
    .OOOOOO
    |--------|
    but you have to stick the paper clip in either these two holes (marked as x's)

......|...... <-- that is the top marker tab for connector position
    .OOOXOX
    .OOOOOO
    |---------|
    BE CAREFUL CAUSE WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE CONNECTOR ITS UPSIDE DOWN
    SO POSITION THE PAPER ACCORDINGLY TO MATCH UP

Its pins A and C according to the ALL data Program if that helps
    Now you turn the key to the on position (with out starting) all the dashboard lights will display including the service sss light. you know you picked the right pins when after the light goes out it begins to flash
    it will flash once then pause a second and then flash twice together (this signifies a #12 code which means it is entering diagnostic) three times before displaying the actual trouble code. So you pretty much understand how you would read the codes after the three 12's that will flash out.. then you will get the codes listed. I got a code 24 on my car 2 quick flashes one second pause then 4 quick flashes. It will do each code three times before displaying the next. When it does the 12 code again that means it finished the code list and will start again.
    email me at dzisblatt@si.rr.com and I would be glad to help in any way I can

Thanks for offering your assistance Coupe, and welcome aboard.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Thanks for offering your assistance Coupe, and welcome aboard.
    Yea I just saw this thread, definitely some very helpful suspension folks on our board... wonder if that Maxim guy is still around.

Ralph, now you know why I detest electronic suspension systems so much, but on Lincolns its the worst case scenario, you cant replace them with passive struts because its actually a Firestone rubber air bladder that inflates and deflates which would be like the "elc" on the caddies. Problem is, theres one bladder shock at EACH of the four wheels, and in total this could run you 2000.00 - 3000.00 EASY from the dealer to replace them. My brother got lucky with his extended warranty which covered the first set for him! Now the rear of the car has a horrible thud over bumps and we fear the actual strut portion is out, and that could be putting extra stress on the bladder. Of course, the struts for the rear even without the bladder, can run 400.00 installed or more. It really begins to get hard to justify expenses like that when you pop open a black book and the thing is worth like 2000.00 total. I guess I could think of it as a restoration on the Lincoln since I like it alot, but then its not like your Deville, the Lincoln has about 120k miles! (but still runs strong)

Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well I personally think that Lincoln Town cars are the single best cars on the road. And the Taxi guys use them like crazy so parts can be cheap and replacement is easy because the car is easy to work on. I work on about 5-10 of those a day and they are a pleasure. If you want better prices you need to do price searches. I've seen airbags (the suspension) for pretty cheap.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    Well I personally think that Lincoln Town cars are the single best cars on the road. And the Taxi guys use them like crazy so parts can be cheap and replacement is easy because the car is easy to work on. I work on about 5-10 of those a day and they are a pleasure. If you want better prices you need to do price searches. I've seen airbags (the suspension) for pretty cheap.
    I have no problem with TC's, in fact, right now they slot ABOVE the LS430 (in the newest model) in my large sedan preference. However, vehicles like the Continental, and Mark VIII did not have as high sales numbers and the systems are not cheap to find anywhere. If they are interchangeable with the TC then thats pretty cool, but I dont know if they are. Not to mention if you dont install it yourself (which not everyone can do), it can make things that much more complicated. I have always liked how the foreign manufacturers like Lexus and MB give you ride controlled suspensions as an OPTION but not as standard equipment, this way you can drive both versions and judge whether the air ride is really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Yea I just saw this thread, definitely some very helpful suspension folks on our board... wonder if that Maxim guy is still around.

Ralph, now you know why I detest electronic suspension systems so much, but on Lincolns its the worst case scenario, you cant replace them with passive struts because its actually a Firestone rubber air bladder that inflates and deflates which would be like the "elc" on the caddies. Problem is, theres one bladder shock at EACH of the four wheels, and in total this could run you 2000.00 - 3000.00 EASY from the dealer to replace them. My brother got lucky with his extended warranty which covered the first set for him! Now the rear of the car has a horrible thud over bumps and we fear the actual strut portion is out, and that could be putting extra stress on the bladder. Of course, the struts for the rear even without the bladder, can run 400.00 installed or more. It really begins to get hard to justify expenses like that when you pop open a black book and the thing is worth like 2000.00 total. I guess I could think of it as a restoration on the Lincoln since I like it alot, but then its not like your Deville, the Lincoln has about 120k miles! (but still runs strong)
    I know, on the rear shocks I can see those large "bladder" rubber sleeves. I can't see them up front, but they must be up there somewhere in the strut tower. That's originally why I posted this thread, because I was concerned about the expense of fixing this in the future, but now I have realized something else!! If age makes rubber deteriorate over time, then my 27,000 mile beauty might light that dreaded CCR light anytime??!! If the bladders deteriorate, and develop a leak, that is. We discussed rubber and tire deterioration in some other thread I started, and now it's got me wondering, especially with all the trouble your brother had with Connie. I guess there's no point in worrying about it, if it breaks, I'll just go without food for a few months.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I know, on the rear shocks I can see those large "bladder" rubber sleeves. I can't see them up front, but they must be up there somewhere in the strut tower. That's originally why I posted this thread, because I was concerned about the expense of fixing this in the future, but now I have realized something else!! If age makes rubber deteriorate over time, then my 27,000 mile beauty might light that dreaded CCR light anytime??!! If the bladders deteriorate, and develop a leak, that is. We discussed rubber and tire deterioration in some other thread I started, and now it's got me wondering, especially with all the trouble your brother had with Connie. I guess there's no point in worrying about it, if it breaks, I'll just go without food for a few months.
    Ralph, he is talking about the Town Car, they use air bag suspension... sweet ride, but really expensive to fix, and when they go, unlike the Caddy which you can see drive then the SSS/CCR ssytem has errors, once the air bags blow, the back end of the car is now a 2" off ground low rider... really bad for the car.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.