Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I finally got the pair of new front struts installed into my 1999 Seville STS (85 000 miles) and here ...
    jtpaajan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions

I finally got the pair of new front struts installed into my 1999 Seville STS (85 000 miles) and here are some first impressions on them.

First off, the costs. The struts are the Monroe parts numbers 40021 and 40022 ($430 a piece at Rockauto), and I also had the strut mate bearing plates (Monroe #902972, $62 a piece) changed at the same time. For reference, one OEM strut is over $800 at Rockauto, and $2500 at the official Finnish dealer.

To sum it up: the ride is fantastic! Firm in sharp turns and smooth in rough surfaces. The old struts must have been in really bad shape, the difference is just incredible. They still stiffened up properly in turns, but the ride was bumpy over rough surfaces and floaty over low frequency bumps. I guess that the CVRSS struts begin to wear out in the lower dampening rates, and the stiff suspension of the STS results in a harsh, jittery, bumpy and shimmying driving experience.

Furthermore, the "Seville shakes" appear to have diminished greatly if not eliminated alltogether! Previously I've got new tires (Michelin PS), different set of wheels, road force balancing, engine mount changed - none of which eliminated the shimmy. Tires and RFB helped a lot, but it was still there. The final verditct is still out on this though, I'm not holding my breath I've just had the struts for a day and the shimmy is an annoyance that comes and goes.

Anyways, if any of you are considering new CVRSS struts for a 98-04 Seville, or are sufferning from a bumpy ride, I wholeheartedly recommend these Monroes! I've never driven a brand-new Seville but I can't imagine the OEM struts being any better than these.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions

Thanks for the review, I'll keep that in mind for my STS (109K mikes, and the struts are questionable).

Do you have any updates, after a few weeks of driving?

hondo69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks for the post and the part numbers etc. I have been looking at these as an alternative to the delco replacements. In the end they are probably the same of better since I believe that GM contracted with Monroe to build the originals.

Do you have any further updates on the ride and reliability etc?

Thanks!

No complaints so far - still working great!

Changed to winter tires a week ago - went from 255/45R18 Michelin Pilot Sports to 235/60R16 Continental Wintercontacts. If anything, the shocks seem to perform even better now, with the slightly more forgiving stock size tires. There is absolutely none of that "floating" feeling that was so evident with the old OEMs.

Any further updates? Also, I see that your summer tires are 255/45R18 - how is the fit? Any rubbing?

I'm now at 113K, and my front struts are degrading FAST. Time to bite the bullet soon and pay the $$$ (at least I don't pay for labor, do it myself).

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by ejguillot View Post
    ....I'm now at 113K, and my front struts are degrading FAST. Time to bite the bullet soon and pay the $$$ (at least I don't pay for labor, do it myself).
    Brasington Cadillac in Gainesville will be very close to that Monroe price for OEM ACDelco parts. Giive them a call and ask for web-based pricing.

Strut mounts (thrust bearings) only have to be replaced if they are noisy.

I may have to ask Brasington, but since I'm in FL (as they are) I would get hit with the 7% sales tax. And Rockauto has the Monroe front struts for $420 each.

I'm inclined to replace the strut mounts, as my suspension sometimes is noisy when going over bumps and such. I already replaced the sway bar to control arm links and the sway bar to engine cradle bushings. That helped, but didn't completely fix the problem.

No problems whatsoever with the struts themselves, still going strong.

However, I'm having some issues with the Monroe-brand strut mounts/bearings I had put in... The passenger side mount I replaced failed about 6 months after installing it. I had it replaced last week, and after just a couple of days of silence, the new mount is now also making noise whenever the wheel is turned... Weird. The noise from the failed Monroe mount was this low "thump/doink"-kind of irritating rattle, the new noise sounds like "scratching", like a family of rats living in the strut mount The car's going back to the shop tomorrow.

The part that irritates me is that the original OEM strut mounts were fine, I had them replaced just in case with the struts.

Nice to know that about the strut mounts before I buy. I'll stick to OEM parts for that.

Also, what width rim did you mount your summer tires on?

I'm fairly certain that the rims are 8.5" wide. Not 100% sure because they came with the car, but this particular rim is available in two widths: 10" and 8.5" and I'm pretty sure they're not as wide as 10".

The noisy strut mounts problem was kind of resolved today: the new noise is just rubber in the mount squeaking, some silicone grease lubing + time should take care of that.

Well, after filing my federal taxes yesterday, I was told that the refund I would have coming my way would be MUCH larger than I expected. So with that in mind, the order went out to Rockauto.com:

2 Monroe electronic front struts: $840
    2 AC Delco strut mounts with bearings: $123
    Set of AC Delco brake pads (the ones meant for the export STS): $60. My front pads are starting to squeal, and are about .5mm from eating into the wear sensors.

Add shipping, and i'm looking at $1050 for parts!

Will post a report upon installation and testing.

The struts are now installed. Replacing the strut mounts and bearings turned out to be a good idea, as the rubber in the mounts had cracked almost all the way through, The bearings were dried out and gritty from the years of sand and grit that had worked past the seals. Actual time spent installing: about 4 hours for both, with no air tools or lift (good hand tools and a pair of jack stands).

A quick drive around the neighborhood showed that the struts were doing their job much better than the work out originals, with no groans or clunks from the suspension. Damping was as it should be, with no wallowing after going over a speed bump.

Alignment did not seem to be affected. The tie rods were not touched by this install, and the whole procedure was straightforward.

I'm tired for today, will do the brakes tomorrow or next week, and will check alignment after a highway/twisty road drive.

Opinion: I can't imagine the OEM CVRSS struts to be any better than these (I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Monroe made the struts for GM).

Further updates to follow.

777sparks is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 99 sts with bad struts all around, the car feels like a waterbed! They are electronic ride controlled with 112k miles. I just replaced the rear air shocks with gaberial passive air shocks. I am very surprised how well it worked. It cost me $80 for both. Now I'm thinking of doing the same for the front. I found a pair of Monroe passive struts # 902972 for $85. Has anyone done this before, went from cvrss to passive. $200 is a lot cheaper than over $1500.

RazorSpikes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 STS

I recently replaced my oem struts with Monroe passive ones'. Now my service ride control light is on. How do I get it to go off?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by RazorSpikes View Post
    I recently replaced my oem struts with Monroe passive ones'. Now my service ride control light is on. How do I get it to go off?
    You can use a resistor to imitate the strut solenoid and fool the CVRSS module.

Radio Shack item #217-1124; 4.7K Ohm, 1/2 Watt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.