Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; An update: the new struts are still doing their job very well indeed. I still have the 65-70 mph shakes, ...
    ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Monroe electric CVRSS replacement struts - first impressions

An update: the new struts are still doing their job very well indeed. I still have the 65-70 mph shakes, but I hope to fix that by getting new rims (I want 18"s) and tires.

I don't regret having spent the $$$ on the electronic ones.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by 777sparks View Post
    I have a 99 sts with bad struts all around, the car feels like a waterbed! They are electronic ride controlled with 112k miles. I just replaced the rear air shocks with gaberial passive air shocks. I am very surprised how well it worked. It cost me $80 for both. Now I'm thinking of doing the same for the front. I found a pair of Monroe passive struts # 902972 for $85. Has anyone done this before, went from cvrss to passive. $200 is a lot cheaper than over $1500.

I had no idea Monroe made an airshock for the "newer" caddies, last time I was able to put Monroes in my caddie was my 90' Deville.

I would like to go back to an airshock with compressor setup if I have to replace the rear struts again.

777sparks is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ejguillot View Post
    An update: the new struts are still doing their job very well indeed. I still have the 65-70 mph shakes, but I hope to fix that by getting new rims (I want 18"s) and tires.

I don't regret having spent the $$$ on the electronic ones.

If I had the money I would have done the same as you.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    You can use a resistor to imitate the strut solenoid and fool the CVRSS module.

Radio Shack item #217-1124; 4.7K Ohm, 1/2 Watt.
    The service manual diagnostics shows the electronic strut should ohm out around 12 ohms. I also ohm'ed one of old electronic struts and it measured 12.5 ohms. (not 12.5 k ohms). I have not installed the 12 ohm resistors yet. I see in your post you recommend 4.7k. Am I missing something here? I would really hate to short out the CVRSS computer by putting 12 ohm resistors when I shouldn't. I am very happy with the ride. I drive winding roads and it actually responds very well. A little rough on the highway though and I can,t go over 90 MPH.

I really appreciate any advise you can offer.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

The service manual diagnostics shows the electronic strut should ohm out around 12 ohms.
    Correct, but that is a simple pass or fail continuity check for the solenoid coil.

In operation, the strut solenoid coil power is pulsed on and off at a 2 KHz rate. Ohm's Law for DC circuits no longer applies.

The value you need to imitate is the inductive reactance of the solenoid coil and inductive reactance cannot be measured with an Ohmeter.

The resistor value I gave will fool the CVRSS module on your '99 Seville. Other resistor values will also work, but 4.7K is near the middle of the range I calculated based on the total measured current when I was preparing to replace my struts.

Correct, but that is a simple pass or fail continuity check for the solenoid coil.

Your absolutely right! Inductance, just like a speaker coil. Thank you so much. I will install the 4.7k's this weekend. Now I will be able to drive over 90 mph again (Just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Deville View Post
    I had no idea Monroe made an airshock for the "newer" caddies, last time I was able to put Monroes in my caddie was my 90' Deville.

I would like to go back to an airshock with compressor setup if I have to replace the rear struts again.
    Monroe has a very nice set up for caddies. Both Electronic ride control struts and air shocks, and non electronic (ie. passive). Here is a link to their web page. Just click on Passenger cars, Cadillac, Your model, the year, and electronic or excluding electronic. It will bring up part numbers and pictures for both the front and rears.

http://catalog.tenneco.com/monroe/eCatalog.do

Good luck.

Your absolutely right! Inductance, just like a speaker coil. Thank you so much. I will install the 4.7k's this weekend. Now I will be able to drive over 90 mph again (Just kidding).

No ur not, enjoy.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Nice post to find, I have a bad strut from my 2nd round of OEM front CVRSS struts. So these Monroe's have the CVRSS just like the OEMS? And plug right into the harness from the caddy computer??

I should have known that Monroe had something for the Seville. I had air ride Monroe's put on my 89 Deville when I drove that.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Looks like I'll be throwing new monroe electronic struts and rear air shocks at my car. Fronts are dying, right rear is leaking, and the left rear completely blew out a week ago, car is riding almost on the bump stops. AdvanceAuto is selling them for $398 a piece (except for one of the rears which is $10 more for some reason) but shipping is free. I'm gonna go that route, since it's cheaper than the declos, and the money I save can go towards new mounts, and a new right rear tail light. Glad to see someone else has installed them first and was satisfied.

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc View Post
    Looks like I'll be throwing new monroe electronic struts and rear air shocks at my car. Fronts are dying, right rear is leaking, and the left rear completely blew out a week ago, car is riding almost on the bump stops. AdvanceAuto is selling them for $398 a piece (except for one of the rears which is $10 more for some reason) but shipping is free. I'm gonna go that route, since it's cheaper than the declos, and the money I save can go towards new mounts, and a new right rear tail light. Glad to see someone else has installed them first and was satisfied.
    Nice price on the struts, that's cheaper than what Rock Auto had them for a few months ago (and they were cheapest then).

Be sure to get the front strut mounts when you get the struts! My old ones (original) were cracked almost all the way through.

STSJim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

You can use a resistor to imitate the strut solenoid and fool the CVRSS module.

Radio Shack item #217-1124; 4.7K Ohm, 1/2 Watt.
    I'm kind of a noob when it comes to sensors and electrical stuff, so please excuse me for asking but how do you wire in the resistor? Thanks in advance!

Cut the wires off the orginal harness that plugs into the OEM struts, than connect each wire into the resitor. Do this for each wheel.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

An old thread, but I have a question!

My front struts are very weak (worn out), and this is the time for replacement. OEM part is too expensive for an 11 year old car! So I am going for passive MONROE. Are these struts, 71684 struts for my STS, are compatible with original OEM mounts or I need to replace the mounts with Monroe 902998 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit? My OEM mounts are good, no crack. But the question is about compatibility.

BTW, what about other replacement kits? For example Arnott? Are these Monroe better than those specifically designed kits or not?

Thanks

SilverCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 SDV (199K), 95 FWB Blk on Blk. (113K) 98 ETC (173K)

I put some Monroe Elec. struts on my 98ETC last weekend. Seems to work very good. Plug and go. My strut mounts/bearings were good as I inspected them, so did not need them. Part no. 40016 and 40017 I believe. Rock Auto, 357 dollars a piece. Then I had it 4 -wheel aligned at a Good Year shop by my home. Love it. does not roll and rock on freeway, brakes nice and corners better. Very satisfied so far. had 147K on orig. GM struts, were shot of course. Oh I did need one new outer tie rod end on the Front Right thought, had the shop do that as well as they were there, before the alignment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.