rear suspension knuckle bushings - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, rear suspension knuckle bushings in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by ponyboyt Havent checked back here in a while... but i was waiting for this post Ill give ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: rear suspension knuckle bushings

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboyt View Post
    Havent checked back here in a while... but i was waiting for this post Ill give these a shot as soon as my front end is done.

Did you find the source of noise in the rear? As of now mine as a low pitch rattle in the rear on bumpy roads and crossing tracks. I also notice the left/right drift at highway speed and especialy on bumpy back roads it drifts too. Looks like LL is the solution? If yours have lasted 6 months..... well, how many miles? I put a LOT of miles on this car....

And thanks for those pictures. Ill be using a big clamp, or clamp and socket maybe, with a cordless mastercraft impact

Edit: Has anyone tried the Dorman ones from Napa? I just ordered tie rods and a sway bar link and have a Napa 4 blocks from my house... and they are cheaper...
    I have almost 1 year now and over 20K Miles and all good so far.
    The noise in the rear was loose nut on the right side strut lower lug. The mechanic forgot to torque the nut about 2 years ago when I had the struts replaced. Now is smooth and quite and straight like an arrow, pretty happy with the suspension. I do drive 60% HWY, 30% main roads with little traffic lights (also called HWY... kind of) and 10% city. I stay away from potholes and bad roads like Devil from holly water, I rather drive 25% more to avoid bad roads.

cancuncaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 ETC

hi all ! i have a 96 etc and last week i noticed the knuckle bushings were blown out so i researched a bit and decided it was gonna be a real problem......I live in cancun and there are no caddy parts here! sooooo. like they do here in mexico i Knew i would have to do some modifying .bottom line to all this is ....I repaired mine in under 3 hours with no machining and very little modification of the bushings! i put about a thousand miles on the car this weekend not a sqeak and actually feels a little stiffer and more responsive than the factory ones! first remove the nuckle then remove the old bushings .you will notice one is larger than the other with a larger bolt hole also ......now having done this go to the youre favorite parts guy and ask him to please take the time with a set of calipers to measure the dimensions and find two bushings that will press in to the knuckle it took my guy here in cancun about 15 minutes to find two very good candidates they even had the shoulder part that coincides with the recess in the knuckle i found that there are several different ones that will do the trick nicely .I dont recommend machining youre knuckle or any other laborious process .mine only required a slight trimming of the polyurethane lip on the shoulder . you just need a parts guy that will forget about the catalog and PHYSICALLY look for a bushing with the right dimensions there are abunch of em that will work!!!

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Just checked & mine are shot.
    Anyone ever try making their own bushing with the whole assembly out of the car?
    A can of urethane runs like $12 compared to ~$100 for replacements...

dcart1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

I replaced mine a couple months ago and thought I would give my two cents. I got my from last shot and even called him to help and he was great. Autozone loan me for free the ball joint press. It took about 30min to get off,but getting bushing out was a little harder.The adapter really did not fit every good, but checked on buying my own, it came with the same three rings. I also did not have a socket that big. I am not trying to be too neg. it was just harder than I thought. I saw other bushings come with the rings to work with the ball joint clamp, but I still would only buy last shot. I also would suggest getting some 600 grit sandpaper to clean off rust is. Do not sand in the middle of the knuckle where the bushing sits. I used a demel tool. be extra careful. This makes the bushing go way easier. Almost ruined bushing trying to do it without cleaning rust out. Again, do not sand inside middle of knuckle. Would I do it again. Yes, Since I have another deville, but would try to buy the rings from the other company to make the job a lot easier maybe last shot could sale them too.

donwon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Anyone tried this on a 92 Deville?
    Front and rear? It drives straight but they are bound to be about shot from age if nothing else.
    I live in South Carolina.

JohnnySpeed is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): NONE

Rear Knuckle Bushings
    $99 plus $6 shipping...does both sides of the car. Made of high quality suspension grade polyurethane.
    INCLUDES PolyLube.

http://polybushings.com/pages/4005.html

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

changed 1 side this weekend. 96 sts. 125k miles. both sides have slight clunk. pressed out bushings using ball joint press. do the inner a-arm bushings ever wear out? don't hear much about replacing those.

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by krimson_cardnal View Post
    K_C has been gone for a while, but the rear knuckles didn't get any better. I started chasing this monkey quite a while ago and was interested in seeing what has transpired in my absence. Flame wars and all considered I then decided to go with LastShot and get Jays bushing set.

As others here have noted Jay is a good guy - very passionate about his product. His customer service is great, as his the product he is selling. I say the product is great in that it is as he says it is, a complete bushing replacement set for the rear knuckles.

I took them to my local mechanic, who was at first a bit hesitant, but I explained that the job should be straight forward - press out the old ones with a ball joint press and press in the new ones. Tommie says he has this large press and wasn't concerned with that part, but the condition of the old knuckles. Didn't want to tie up the lift friggin' around with old parts.

I brought my 96DeVille in late on a Thursday and by Friday afternoon the new bushings were in as well as new Strutmaster rear struts and springs.

To let you know, a ball joint press does work perfectly, no issues what so ever. I am also very happy with the new passive struts, save for the fact that the new rear springs will need a bit of time to "settle in". Right now the ride height is a bit tall, but the boys at Strutmaster tell me to give them a few months. If not better they are prepared to work up a solution.

As far as the knuckle bushings go - the problems are fixed, and I know Jay will stand behind his product if ever I should experience a problem, which I don't expect.

K_C
    Just stopping by for a look-see and up-date. I no longer own the DeVille, but currently it's serving my neighbor's son well and there is absolutely no issue with the rear knuckles. Good to see the jakemiester is still serving the community. He's a good guy and didn't pay me to say that!

BTW Best to all and the Honda Fit is fine.

K_C

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed View Post
    Rear Knuckle Bushings
    $99 plus $6 shipping...does both sides of the car. Made of high quality suspension grade polyurethane.
    INCLUDES PolyLube.

http://polybushings.com/pages/4005.html
    I'll be damned! I used the same guy. i wrote up my instructions in the tech tips section. Wish I knew why your post didnt come up when I was doing searching for where folks got their replacement bushings!

my Deville now does not wobble at speeds over 45mph, it feels GREAT!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ings-98-a.html

trickpat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 seville

Well i need to replace my bushing as well on my 94 sls i am thinkin about purchasing some from the poly site. How much would it cost to have them installed? Is there anything else i need to be updated about in regards to bushing on my 94 sls, because the squeaking noise is annoying. Thanks...love the site!

trickpat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 seville

No can Help ME?

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by trickpat View Post
    Well i need to replace my bushing as well on my 94 sls i am thinkin about purchasing some from the poly site. How much would it cost to have them installed? Is there anything else i need to be updated about in regards to bushing on my 94 sls, because the squeaking noise is annoying. Thanks...love the site!
    I don't think it would be more that $200 to have someone install them. There is a bit of labor to remove everything, push the old bushings out with a press and then re-assemble. But it depends on what hourly labor rates are in your area.

tja623 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 sts, 2006 sts4 3.6l, 1992 fleetwood brougham, 1993 seda

Go to www.cadillacbushings.com or www.gmbushings.com.....$99 gets upper & lower knuckle bushings for both sides!!! Easy install, just press out old ones with bearing press/c-clamp, & slap the new polyurethane ones in!!! MAKE SURE YOU LUBRICATE WITH SILICONE LUBRICANT!!!!! the kind that comes in a small can and looks like ruber cement, comes with a paint brush attached to the lid!!! Kit is totally worth it and comes with directions and PICTURES!!!! Cant beat it!!! Any questions, contact me directly at tja623@gmail.com. Tj, Annapolis, Maryland.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

These bushings have a spherical design to allow them rotational movement through out the range of motion they make.

A straight bushing is incorrect.

Check these out as an option. These are nice parts.
    http://www.suspensionfixx.com/products.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.