rear suspension knuckle bushings - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, rear suspension knuckle bushings in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I would like to bring this thread forward in that I'm needing to replace these bushings as well. Has anyone ...
    krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Re: rear suspension knuckle bushings

I would like to bring this thread forward in that I'm needing to replace these bushings as well. Has anyone found a source? I can replace the knuckle at $429.13 each thru newgmparts.com, but that trick Hystat pulled is the only way to go at these prices, or any way to cross reference to find the part. K_C

Gouda00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

So this hystat Guy figures it out but just wants to tease us?
    I'll pay for a set of these for my 95 Seville?!
    Bueller... Bueller... anybody.....Hystat?
    check http://www.buy-oem-parts.com/ I found the Seville Knuckles here for 416.00 but I'm ready to cut up my kids skateboard wheels any minute now....

Look at the view count, phew! Someone could make a bit off this deal, no bushing experts out there?

I've got a local sprint racer looking into things, bushings aren't really that complicated - only I've heard the rear knuckles on Cadillacs can get complicated, like two piece setups, but I've also seen pictures of DYS repairs... K_C

Looks like K_C struck out!

I've been working behind the scene on this and can not come up with a solution that doesn't include going to a dealer to get the knuckle. Distributor's I've been able to locate - had a Pace University Transportation shop super on it - are not even seeing the part listed. I see it in the sources we've identified on this forum for $600. The bushings are specific to the part and I can't find any one willing to try making them...

So my question boils down to this. Will the rear suspension parts off a 1999 DeVille fit my 1996 DeVille. A local body shop has a chopped rear-end off a 1999 and it looks like I might be able to pull parts for my 1996.

Any one out there have info that says they are interchangeable? It'll save me a bundle and the info might very well be useful for others in the same boat [and there seems to be a bunch]. I'm interested in the knuckles as well as the shocks and possibly the compressor, seeing how I'll be digging in pretty deep. My local mechanic has said he could do the install if I bring the pieces. Sorry guys, but those knuckles are turning out to be a real beahtch. K_C

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

It's interesting that nobody took the time to review Hystat's previous posts in the past. It led me to an interesting find:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ushings-1.html

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by oshguy View Post
    The right rear of my '99 DeVille Concours started squeaking really bad several months ago. I took it to the Cadillac dealer and was told that the entire knuckle assembly needed replaced at some outrageous price. I paid the $80 diagnosis fee and took the car home. With the rear up on jack stands, I got under it and assessed the situation, and decided to try a home remedy first to quiet the racket, so I injected liquid silicone into each rubber bushing with a 22ga needle. The squeak went away instantly and has not returned in over 6 months. I don't know how long this will last, but hopefully I can keep the thing noise-free for another few months before I finally have to spring for a new knuckle (or a new car).

btw... the car drives and handles just like it always did, so apparently the assembly was OK except for the horrible noise it made.

is that what the squeaking is? I get it in the summer............& only in the summer, as soon as it falls beloe 75* or the humidty is low it stops. so strange, all my bushings looked cracked & worn.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by oshguy View Post
    The right rear of my '99 DeVille Concours started squeaking really bad several months ago. I took it to the Cadillac dealer and was told that the entire knuckle assembly needed replaced at some outrageous price. I paid the $80 diagnosis fee and took the car home. With the rear up on jack stands, I got under it and assessed the situation, and decided to try a home remedy first to quiet the racket, so I injected liquid silicone into each rubber bushing with a 22ga needle. The squeak went away instantly and has not returned in over 6 months. I don't know how long this will last, but hopefully I can keep the thing noise-free for another few months before I finally have to spring for a new knuckle (or a new car).

btw... the car drives and handles just like it always did, so apparently the assembly was OK except for the horrible noise it made.

Any updates?

Thanks for that Krashed,
    I've seen the post, and it is full of good info. Seeing it was for a Seville, however, I didn't realize it's the same set-up as the DeVille. I now know, well I think I know, that they both share the same suspension parts. My 96 will take the parts I need off the 99 I can get my hands on for what I need. The trouble I was having is finding some one willing to go through what it seems to take to do the work to fabricate or install new bushings, if in fact they actually exist. Doesn't seem to be off the shelf work.

Looking at GMpartsdirect the knuckles are now $607 lft $582 rgt. That's up close to $200 each from when that thread ran [02/08]! Some one is on to something, they're lurking this forum. I was seeing the $425 price at newgmparts when I first started looking, no more.

I'll be taking used parts and living with that. K_C

Well don't ya know, the sun might have risen on this bushing thang.

Just got an AM call from my mechanic telling me again that he's struck out, however, the talk turned into a rather positive one after bashing GM for not providing any details of the bushing itself.

I related a few of the details in the post that KRASHED has pointed out and he said it just might be possible to fabricate them. He doesn't have the ability, but he knows of a shop that might, no guarantee at this stage, but I'll be printing out the details and bringing them up for him to review.

Kudos to KRASHED and thanks to this forum. I don't think there's any others around - on any topic - that works as well as this one does. Us Cadillac owners sure love our Caddies and the folks around here do play well together.

I'll be back with an update after I find the details on fabrication [way too soon to take orders kids]. K_C

Need to mention mikeay has done all of the hard work here, hats off to him big time.

Seems as the "bushing" is actually a silicone cap covering each end of a cross axis ball joint. Don't think joint's the part that fails, its those silly silicone [blessed busts] part.

"I can see clearly now, the rain has gone..." I'm putting this together and heading up the street to my mechanic. Be back in due course. K_C

Well, after all is said and done I'm settling on the used knuckle. Struck out on getting the bushing made up per intentions. Done did a lot of research, as others have, and GM protects the bushing piece for what ever reason and the solution I was chasing is beyond what any one I can identify is willing to attempt; not to say it can't be done, just not any one in my parts. K_C

PARHI is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is the 1st time I've written re: a problem. Have '94 Deville with 154,000 miles, immaculate in every way with 16"chrome wheels and Vogues. Problem: SQEAKY BUSHINGS IN REAR. Very noisey in parking garages etc. All you need to do is put slight pressure on top of rear fender(s) to make the annoying squeak. Had a mobile mechanic shoot the bushings (both sides) with spray silicone after raising the rear end with jack stands. Squeak(s) vanished entirely for ONE DAY, then returned as before. Hoping our member who INJECTED SILICONE LIQUID into each bushing with a needle HAS THE ANSWER to eliminate the squeaks. Going to try it!! What is a 22ga needle??????
    His solution makes sense to me as silicone sprayed on the bushings on my car worked for a day.
    PARHI Honolulu, Hawaii USA

ERICESUBS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Eldorado

The 22ga is the needle size. (ga) stands for gauge.

Jakester55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes just find Last Shot Auto Parts. They have sets already to install both upper and lower bushings! you can reach them at lastshotautoparts@comcast.net

Jakester55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes just find Last Shot Auto Parts. They have sets already to install both upper and lower bushings ! you can reach them at lastshotautoparts@comcast.net

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.