shocks/struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By johnny kannapo
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, shocks/struts in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm very confused. What is the difference between shocks and struts????????? Or are they the same thing? I know my ...
    inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Question shocks/struts

I'm very confused. What is the difference between shocks and struts????????? Or are they the same thing? I know my Caddy 91 has gas-charged load leveling SHOCKS. But I can go for the passive replacement STRUTS. They're cheaper. Are struts usually in the front and shock in the back?? Maybe a STRUT absorbs the initial jump/shake to the suspension and a SHOCK smoothes it out??? Or am I completely off/backwards. Please enlighten me.

Also, what are the best replacement brand? AC/Delco, Strutmaster, Monroe??? Has anyone done this?? Results?

I looked at the sticky post above but that just confused me more. I called my dealer and he quoted me a price of only 300$ for the replacement "struts", labor extra. He said for the original shocks it would be 400$ just for the rears.

What the hell should I do? It's just my rears that are bad. And they are really bad. They've been going for awhile now. It rides worse than an old tractor, seriously. BTW, my copressor for the electronic level control ran for awhile but now doesn't run at all so that's prolly burnt out as well. Fun stuff, huh. Just want some suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: shocks/struts

go to bostonsuspension.com they have a passive air shock sysytem for the back. hope this helps ya.
    good luck,Sal

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

That site didn't really answer the question:

"What is the difference between Shocks and Struts", if there is a difference?

Thanks!

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

That's is a very good question. I'll admit that I had to look it up.

Shock
    This part is also used within the chassis and is also known as a “shock absorber.” It consists of a rod or piston mounted in a gas filled cylinder. Racecars have specially built shocks that are used to absorb the energy created when the car goes over bumps or rough surfaces on the racetrack. There is a shock mounted with the spring near each wheel. The adjustable stiffness of the shocks also has a lot to do with the setup and handling of a racecar.

Strut
    A strut is a structural component designed to resist longitudinal compression. Struts provide outwards-facing support in their lengthwise direction, which can be used to keep two other components separate, performing the opposite function of a tie. --- So in other words you could use a steel bar in place of a "strut" and call the steel bar a strut.

The fronts are struts because they have the spring attached to them, so when the shock part of the struts go bad it still provides structural support, unlike the shock alone in the rear.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Thanks Krashed...so if i'm following this correctly...

the shock is the piston looking device on both front and rear wheels.

the strut is a bar or spring that surrounds the piston?

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Yup. That was 3 years ago!! Now I have a 96 and had to replace the front struts and got em from Strutmaster. Put in the bypass resistors in-line with the Caddys sensor system to trick the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message but that DOESNT WORK!!! has anybody else have any exp. with this year and that company and those resistors and that message???? PLEASE tell me how to override that message!!!! the struts work fine but the message is extremely plagueing me.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Good coverage at HowStuffWorks

Ekindler0584 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 SLS (Diamond White)

Stuts have the spring around them, Shocks do not... If you look under you car, it should all be clear.

Also, "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" can be a number of things. Do you have any error codes to post?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

A 96 you say? Yeah a lot of companies do that. Those resistors WOULD work if your car was a 97 because that's when they switched to CVRSS... To fool the RSS module you need electromagnetic coils... Most shops will hook the wires up to a relay, but you have to know what 2 terminals of the relay to hook the wires up to. An easy way to figure it out on your own is to get the relay and an ohmmeter and see which two terminals are connected. Any open circuit would be the switch side of the relay and not the coil.

I'm not sure on the specs for the relay though.

Pckstude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Struts serve two purposes. Basically struts are shocks that are designed to be an integral, structural part of the front end suspension system.
    A strut type suspension system is different than the conventional A frame. And before that there were king pins. And actually, a strut resembles a king pin in its function of being the platform that helps keep the tires at the proper angles that they need to be in. Look up some basic info on auto suspensions and you will see that regardless of what system is used, they all have to perform the same functions of keeping camber, caster, and toe in at the correct angles for good operation.
    The A frame, and king pin type suspensions did not incorporate shocks as an integral, structural part of the suspension like struts do. The shocks did their own thing attached to the suspension system.
    I hope that I was able to help u understand the difference between the two.
    Shocks are shocks. Can be in the front if you don't have struts, but now days used mostly in the rear.

SALVATORE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): EL DORADO TOURING COUPE 1994

hi friends anyone can tell me where to buy for my cadillc sruts EL DORADO 1994 in Los Angeles California thank you very much!

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

If you are installing them yourself you can find them cheapest on Ebay.
    1994 is getting old for dealers to supply

Chris Heath at Rippy Cadillac(a forum vendor) quoted me a price that
    beats most & you are assured of getting the correct part.

Ebay has its risks to consider. Rippy has contact info on the vendor list. send your vin#.
    SALVATORE and SALVATORE like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.