How many times can rotors be turned?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, How many times can rotors be turned? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I ask this because I just finished looking through the reciepts that came with the car when I bought it. ...
    Matthew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How many times can rotors be turned?

I ask this because I just finished looking through the reciepts that came with the car when I bought it. The rotors were turned 3 years ago.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: How many times can rotors be turned?

There is no clear answer to that question. The only way to determine if your rotors are still good, is to take a micrometer and measure the thickness as compared to the specs.

Keep in mind, the only time rotors need to be turned, is if they are warped or badly scored. Brake shops LOVE TO TURN ROTORS. Why? Because they can, and it costs you more when they do. Also, every time they turn your rotors, they take some of the "meat" away. This ensures them you'll return in a year or so (those "lifetime" pads they put on are pure crap and wear out faster) to get another brake job. They'll pick up the cost of the pads, but they'll hit you for rotors. It's all a big scam.

If you put your foot on the brakes, and there is no shimmy. If the surfaces of your rotors are nice and smooth, with no major scores, you can most likely put on new pads and forget about it. On the other hand, rotors are cheap, and they are easy to replace. You could do worse than throw on some new ones. Then, you'll know the history of them, and you'll have a ton of life left in your entire braking system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.