Time for a brake job
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Time for a brake job in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The brakes in my 94 Deville just arnt what they used to be. Its starting to shudder slighty when braking. ...
    Matthew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Time for a brake job

The brakes in my 94 Deville just arnt what they used to be. Its starting to shudder slighty when braking.

I went to autozone and picked up a new set of pads for the front. I still have to get the car on jack stands, then have the rotors turned or replaced.

I went to the library and read a chiltons manual. It said that I should take out about half of the fluid out of the master. Is that so the fluid doesnt go all over the place when Im replacing the pads?

IVe done brakes a few times on other cars and i dont remember having to remove half of the fluid out of the master. I just had to pull the cover off of the master.

THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Time for a brake job

It's so the fluid won't spill when you press the piston back into the caliper. I would take a different approach. Open the bleeder when you press the piston back, to avoid pushing debris through the system. Then you can just top off the master cylinder.

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If the brakes are shuddering, it's not just the pads. Your rotors are out of whack as well. They probably just need to be turned. But they may need to be replaced, as well. Sometimes, rotors are cheap enough, that replacement is the way to go. I also suggest carbon ceramic pads, from AutoZone. They have a lifetime guarantee, they don't squeak, and they don't put dust everywhere.

While you're in there, change out that dirty old brake fluid for new. You're opening the bleeder to push the piston back in. This will introduce air you'll have to bleed out, anyway. You may as well change out all the fluid. You WILL feel a difference.

If you need help with the bleeding, check out my webpage. I have a section on one man brake bleeding that will help. The job is done on a C3 Corvette, but the process applies to all cars.

Joe Veto's Home Page

Matthew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I actually picked up those pads from autozone yesterday. Hopefully I can just have the rotors turned and I will be good to go. If they are not, any suggestions on rotors? autozone, napa?

thanks

joeveto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm not sure how rotor quality varies amongst different suppliers. I typically look at two items: cost and warranty. If they come with a lifetime warranty, I buy them. They are so easy to replace, why not? On the other hand, I've had experience with cheap rotors (I'm thinking about the factory rotors on my 99 Malibu) and they aren't worth the hassle. The only way to truly know, is to take the plunge and buy a set.

You also need to be realistic about your driving habits. If you are tough on your stuff, you'll probably be better off going with the more expensive units. I'm making the assumption, that you do get what you pay for, and the more expensive units will be made better, and won't warp as easily. On the other hand, if you're like me, drive gently, don't ride your brakes or accelerate hard only to slam on your brakes at every red light (those drivers make no sense to me), go with the cheaper rotors. They should do well by you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.