Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Compressing caliper piston

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zonie77 
#1 ·
I was wondering what would be the easiest way for me to compress the front caliper pistons for my friends 95 Sedan Deville.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
will_z32 said:
I was wondering what would be the easiest way for me to compress the front caliper pistons for my friends 95 Sedan Deville.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I use a big old C clamp and hold a short wrench flat across the center of the piston to push evenly on both sides. Go slowy and be sure the master cylinder lid is loose.

#3 ·
As already stated a big C clamp will work. You can also get a caliper spreader at your local parts store for a few $. To use it leave the old pad in place against the piston, slide the tool in place, then turn the knob until the piston is back.

Some people feel that it is better ro open the bleeder valve while doing this to avoid forcing old fluid and any contaminents that might be in the caliper back up the lines. If there were any it could possibly cause ABS issues.

Steve B.

#4 ·
will_z32 said:
I just did my ETC. I have a recent post on this.

I don't have a C-clamp. I'm sure that would be a good idea. So instead, I removed the caliper. While some would point out this is a pain, it's actually a great way to do the job.

Why?

First off, you can closely inspect the caliper for damage (cracking, etc.).

Second, it's going to force you to bleed the brakes. So while you're at it, take the time to change the fluid. The car is a 95? When was the last time the fluid was swapped out? A single person can bleed the brakes with no special tools. Check out my website, I have full instructions on a fool proof, single person brake bleeding system. I demonstrate the job on my Vette, but the process is the same, regardless of vehicle. If you're only doing the fronts (I say bleed all four), bleed the passenger side first (farthest from the master cylinder) then the driver's side. If going for all four, do RR, LR, RF, LF.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joeveto//Joe_Veto_Home.shtml

The result will be brakes you can trust, that feel like brand new.

Good luck with it. Oh, and don't buy the cheapest rotors out there. They'll squeel like crazy. Spend $30 and buy the carbon ceramics with the lifetime guarantee. They feel great, won't make your wheels dirty, and they'll be quiet as a church mouse.

#5 ·
On ABS equipped cars it's a NO NO to force brake fluid back into the system.

If you know the history of the car you can make a decision. If they havn't been rebuilt definitely rebuild them. If the brakes wore unevenly, rebuild them.
At the least bleed the old fluid out.

Joeveto is right about doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.