Cadillac Owners Forum banner
15K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  befarrer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have a friend with a 96 that needs it.

I just stumbled across it when I put in Northstar just for giggles and low and behold there is interest.

Is the 95 and older REALLY a plug in PROM? Or is that just a guess??

Anyone got a N* PCM that can take some detailed pictures of each IC for me? Maybe we can find out something on that it might take to make it work.

Worse come to worse, we unsolder the flash part, put it in a real programmer and do it the old fashioned way. I just wish they wouldn't have adopted this goofy OBD2 protocols.

#5 ·
Anyone got a spare PCM to work on?

It might be faster to pull the flash memories and then read them to get a actual code.

You need to determine which IC's they are, what processors they are and then decipher the communication they are to use.

But like they said, screwing up can "blow" a PCM. But, rarely is the PCM "bad', it is just a corrupt flash. So you simply toss back in your programmer and flash it back and solder it back down. The PCM is back in business.

The fun is then breaking down the OS and figuring out which table is what, which switch setting is what and what constant is what.

I work on hardware, I am not a software junkie. So the first part is pretty easy. Second isn't my forte....

#36 ·
I have one. If you want it, call me.

618-732-6215

I bought it off of ebay to check out a problem on my 94 seville which this one is for. I also have a wrecked 95 Eldo, but I need to keep the puter with it so I can sell the drivetrain. It only has 91k miles on it and is in great shape. I also have all the suspension parts and the Bose stereo that I can't figure out how to put in my seville which has the stock GM system in it. Seems like the amps or the gadget next to the antenae are different.

Dan

#7 ·
That cheap?? Wow, I wouldn't suspect that cheap. Hmmm.....

#8 ·
Owch. HP Tuners is ticked at Cadillac owners!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9364&page=3

Not quite sure what sent them over the edge, but I guess that is how they handle it.... Oh well.

My guess it would take $2-$5K to do the work to break the code and get a solid definition file. Salary, PCM's, technican work to pull parts and fix things, and software guys to do the work.

How long to break even and then how long to be profitable?

#22 ·
Owch. HP Tuners is ticked at Cadillac owners!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9364&page=3

Not quite sure what sent them over the edge, but I guess that is how they handle it.... Oh well.

My guess it would take $2-$5K to do the work to break the code and get a solid definition file. Salary, PCM's, technican work to pull parts and fix things, and software guys to do the work.

How long to break even and then how long to be profitable?

You're kidding, right?

First, HP Tuners isn't ticked at Cadillac Owners, they're ticked at CadillacETC1997. He's impatient and has a tendency to rub people the wrong way.

That said, they shouldn't deny us this for something he said.

As for costs, you're talking a couple years salary for a couple of programmers specialized in reverse engineering. Lets just round it off to $100k. How many of their tuning packages will they have to sell to recoup that? How much more can they make by hacking some diesel truck computer instead? ;)

#10 ·
Well, EFILive has done some work on the 4T80E in the 06-07 Devilles. Maybe they are next on the list!

Everyone who is seriously interested, email TC@tunercat.com, he is the software engineer and designer of TunerCat OBD1 and 2, which 2 is now Jet Spectrum Tuner, but he still is the software guy to convince....

#11 ·
i have emailed him a couple of times over the past 2 years about this but it cant hurt to try again have you emailed him yet if so what did he say last time i talk to him he told me that he dont have anything that can read them the software is not bad i have all the obd1 and obd2 programs he offers and it is a lot cheaper than others i use and it does the same thing

#13 ·
Darn pricey too!!!

#15 ·
I have been talking with them and I understand why everyone won't mess with it. It would really take a pretty good overhaul of the existing program to make it work right. They do it now, but have to apply some manual processes to the .bin before they can write it back into the PCM.

Looks like Tunercat OBD2 (now called Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner) IS working on it, if anyone would mess with it, they would.

From what I gather, keep watching, support might be closer than you think. Westers CAN do it now, but the PCM must be shipped to them for it (I agree on the reason)

Call Westers now and see what they have.

#16 ·
I have been talking with them and I understand why everyone won't mess with it. It would really take a pretty good overhaul of the existing program to make it work right. They do it now, but have to apply some manual processes to the .bin before they can write it back into the PCM.

Looks like Tunercat OBD2 (now called Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner) IS working on it, if anyone would mess with it, they would.

From what I gather, keep watching, support might be closer than you think. Westers CAN do it now, but the PCM must be shipped to them for it (I agree on the reason)

Call Westers now and see what they have.

#18 ·
They do, but not that you can do yourself. Again, there is a GOOD reason for it, it is how the PCM is setup and how the flash is setup and saved. There is no interface out there for it, so much must be done manually in a text editor editing direct addresses in the memory blocks.

Send an email to mailto:nwester@eidnet.org and ask questions about what they can/can't do.

#19 ·
We should have a major amount for Cadillac done by April end...We've got to
satisfy our V6 clients first...

this is what westers told me last week so i quess they are working on it and might get it done atleast there will be something that can be done they also said you can with a lp yourself
it would be nice if tunercat will do it they have a messge board that a few people use start another thread let them know

http://www.monodax.com/forums/

#20 ·
Yup, they are finishing up 03-up 3800's IIRC.

I believe that TunerCat OBD2/aka Jet Spectrum Tuner might get this to, but you would need to talk to John @ tc@tunercat.com about that, but N* is planned.

#23 ·
Exactly, it is simply $$.

#25 ·
I thought about putting tunes up on SourceForge, but I figured being the OS is in that, GM would sue the crap out of me.

#26 ·
rofl
those guys were fu**in idiots...
all i kept doing was asking for updates they got all pissy and i told them they couldnt do it and thats why they wouldnt
so they cried like a bunch of babys thus proving my point they couldnt do it, easier to blame a consumer than admit their failure, they werent gonna hack it, in 2 months they never responded with any information...

#27 · (Edited)
I am close to having tuning 96 - 03 Northstar PCMs tunable. I have some great 96 To 99 programs. I have some great programs for 00 to 03. )4 and 05 have a different PCM and I have not researched them. I have a great 00 vin 9 program that is set up for no converters, open speed limiter and all OBD II test marked as passed. I have some great 03 programs they are very nice, but I am not finished. I also need to set up a northstar with a manual trans. In the next two weeks I hope to get a lot done. as you all know it may be two months. I currently have a Northstar that runs a 99 PCM vin Y and it runs 0 to 60 in 4.2, 0 to 100 in 9.6 sec and the quarter in 13.4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.