Cadillac Owners Forum banner

368 to 472 swap issues

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  BRUCE ROE 
#1 ·
I am swapping out the 368 for a 472 in my car, its a 1948 Packard on a 80's ? model Cadillac frame and drive train. I know the 368 was only used a short time so that will help me figure out what the frame under this car is too.
My problem i just ran into is. the oil pan hitting the cross member when i tried to place the motor. im not sure the year 472 motor I am working with i see 71 stamped in the side of the block. any help as to what i need to make this motor fit, on what everyone told me was a bolt in swap. the 368 motor i pulled is gone now i scrapped it after pulling the few parts i thought i needed.

#5 ·
The 368 oil pan bolts up to the 425, 472 and 500, but when using on the 500 the very bottom has to be hammered or dimpled to clear the rod bolts, they can just touch the bottom. the pick ups are a different story. The pick up will not fit a 68 or 69 block, they fit a 70 on. But the tab that bolts to the main bearing has to be bent and a new hole drilled. I am using a 368 pan on a 70-472 and this is what I have done.

#7 ·
Mts had the correct pan for me. USED and mailed in a bag in box dripping at my doorstep. rear sump and pan bolted in perfect after 3 days cleaning pan. but now my newest issue. upgraded the transmission as recommended. but its cross member-tranny bushing mount is not lining up and my drive shaft is to long HAHAH DAMN projects. Being a Cadillac rear wheel drive 368 motor frame and drive train under my 48 Packard body. is there a way to figure out what years used this setup? Sadly the old motor and transmission wher removed from my yard by illegal scrappers while out of town, so i have no old parts to reference. so im not sure what tranny will fix this issue and survive a 472 motor and not take major cut and welds to make fit. any ideas? its a stock cadi frame and drivetrain just no idea what year or make

#11 · (Edited)
I thought the cross member was the problem. Is it worth all the cutting and welding instead of just getting the right part that fits? The 472's were all with long tail shafts and all the 425's and 368's were bolted to a short tail shaft.. The early 400's had better parts inside and more metal in the case. I would change the tail....

#15 ·
OK so I got a th400 tranny and i will have to move the cross member back and shorten the drive shaft, sorry for not posting sooner i had internet issues, View attachment 236722 this is the car im working with :)[/QUOT

If you had an 80s 368 frame & drive train, you should already have a TH400, which bolts right
up to a 472/500. I wouldn't change anything with the drive shaft or trans mount. If the time
comes to go through the trans, it can be built up some with 472/500 parts and still fit the car.

Bruce Roe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.