Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No A/C - One click, no codes, no service A/C, just hot air.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  odla 
#1 ·
A/C worked fine last time I used it. Today was just hot air. No codes, no service a/c warning, just hot air. I hear a click when I hit the A/C button and the RPM's drop slightly...but thats it.

I've been searching online for a couple of hours and finally give up. Any advice?

#3 ·
Saw those earlier...I must be too much of a novice. How do I tell if the compressor operates? How do I know if the clutch is disengaging/engaging? The A/C belt is on and spinning so the clutch/compressor isn't seized but aside from the click when I hit the A/C button, I dont notice anything different happening.

I drove it tonight after it cooled down, the air coming out with the A/C button on is colder than the outside air but no where near what it should be. At least I know its not stuck on heat.

#4 ·
I have never worked on ACs much other than to throw in some freon. In your first post you indicated that: "when I hit the A/C button and the RPM's drop slightly." That suggests that the clutch is engaging the compressor, and that the compressor is turning. It may need freon, but that suggest a leak and additional repair. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

#5 ·
The A/C belt is always turning - it has to, since it's on the crank pulley - but the compressor isn't always turning due to the clutch. It's kind of a pain to see, but if you look down past the upper radiator hose and the t-stat housing and everything else that's in the way, you should be able to see the compressor, and you can tell when the clutch engages and disengages. My idle was cycling a few days ago, and I was able to see the compressor looking down from above to verify that it was the compressor cycling that was causing the idle to fluctuate.

As for what could cause the problem, not sure. I would say the same as darkman - it may need freon. Compressor clutch engages, it doesn't see the right system pressure (due to low freon), so it disengages.

#6 ·
Shop says I've got a hole in the condensor and wants about $550 to replace it/recharge the system. $235 for the condensor, $140 for labor, and the rest is freon, etc.

I see rock auto has one for $70. Hows the install? Should I just order that one along with the seal kit and do it myself (and have it recharged somewhere)? Seems like it should be pretty easy if they're only quoting $140 for labor.

#9 · (Edited)
Having someone else fix your AC might be money well spent because the system must be cleared of any moisture before they put freon in it because freon and water make some sort of evil compound that tears things up. They do this by using a pump and pulling a vacuum on the system and leaving it that way for a 1/2 hour or more. They need close to 25lbs of vacuum to achieve this which means the system must be sealed completely. If you don't seal it up right, you've wasted not only your time, but theirs as well and they don't appreciate that...would you? Also, if the mechanics pump is strong enough, it will compensate for any minor leaks you may have left in the system leaving you wondering why you don't have any ac a month later when all the freon has leaked out and then you're doing it all over again.

Any time the system is opened, you should also replace the drying element that you can find on amazon or ebay so you know what your looking for. It is designed to absorb any excess moisture in the system and if you leave the system open for very long, like having a bad condensor, it will fill this up just from the humidity in the air.

Having done ac work for a number of years, it goes a little beyond just replacing parts and slapping freon in it. Leaving it all on their shoulders, while more expensive, will give you a warranty at the very least. Thats is what I would do (and I know how to fix it) because an evac pump and a set of gauges is like 200 bucks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.