Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine maintence mode question

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CTSVeee 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine maintenance mode question

This morning, my ELR asked me if I wanted to start engine maintenance. This seems strange, since the engine has been running quite a bit due to our recent cold weather. My Volt would run engine maintenance only if I had been 100% EV for months.

When I told it to proceed, the engine came on along with a message about what % was complete. My Volt usually completed engine maintenance in a mile or less, taking a minute or so. I drove 5 miles in the ELR and the message showed only 45% complete. Then the engine shut off and went the car back to battery for the remaining 5 miles of my commute.

Can anyone make sense of this?

#2 ·
Re: Engine maintenance mode question

For comparison, if it helps, I've used about 7 gallons of gas since January 31st (almost all of that used in February), and I have never seen the maintenance mode warning. It seems very odd that you'd get maintenance mode so early in the life of the car, but perhaps the cold temperatures require more engine use than warmer climates?

#4 ·
If my ELR ever asked me to initiate Engine Maintenance mode, I would say NO. Then I would drive the car until the battery was depleted and drive in Extended Range mode (also known as CS - Charge Sustaining mode) for a gallon or two to make the ELR happy. Otherwise, you're just letting the ELR waste gas, which defeats the whole purpose of buying a Voltec drive for energy-efficient transporation. There's no law that you must charge the ELR every night.

#6 ·
From what I have been told the engine starts every time the hood is opened also on the Volt too

They don't want anyone to have their hands down inside the engine compartment and then have the ICE start by itself and maybe chopping a finger off.

If the engine is already running you can't say you didn't know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.