Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New ATS Owner and CUE User Frustration / Disappointment

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  inspectorudy 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying we just got our base 213 ATS with CUE a few days ago. WE LOVE THE CAR OVERALL. PERIOD. But frankly, like others have stated here in numerous posts, CUE is extremely disappointing. I had done a bunch of reading and watching videos of the Cadillac CUE propaganda from the Cadillac website before our purchase. Only found my way to this and other forums after having issues with things like just pairing the phone ... constantly saying "device initializing" and unable to get "text to voice" to work. Let alone being able to use have two paired phones active in the car at once (or setting one as primary), being able to use natural voice to dial a contact, Unable to get Pandora to work, etc.

NOTE: I have a Chevy Equinox with basic Bluetooth and basic voice calling commands - ability to save a number and associate it with a recorded spoken name. While this is not the full CUE experience, it is a starting point for a what actually works.

Several of the reasons we sought the ATS and CUE was the ability to use Pandora, new Apps, "future proof" upgrades, text to voice. These are all features my Chevy does not have. We were really going back and forth between an Acura and the ATS but one of the major reason we settled on the ATS was the promise of CUE and in particular the "future proofing" upgradability and Apps like Pandora. The Acura has functional voice to text and even Navigation (which we did not get due to the huge step up in price just to get that, unlike the Acura). But it did not have Pandora nor future upgrades.

Someone equated in one post the CUE software development hurdles to DirecTV's conversion from Tivo to their own DVR hardware/software solution many years ago. I happen to think Cadillac could learn some valuable lessons from DirecTV and how they handled that when things got difficult for several years there.

I think part of frustration by many here is the lack of basic information. Basic information like what phones are compatible with what CUE features. What is the latest software version that my CUE system should have. While I understand we can probably call this number or take our car to the dealer to find out some of these items, most of the people who own these cars (and can afford to) are busy people. Additionally, it isn't realistic for Cadillac to test every phone. It is possible for Cadillac to help forums like this, instead of making it difficult. For example, knowing the latest software version for a hardware to make sure the feature works for some one that version. Publishing the Bluetooth profiles required by a phone to be compatible for each feature. (Acura actually does this on their website, they show profiles, latest software version, etc.)

Additionally, Cadillac is trying to capture the younger, tech savvy market so asking us to go to the dealer or call someone really is a slap in the face. Really, look to what DirecTV did. Instead of keeping forums like this at an arms length, they embrace these users. These people want a functional CUE with rewarding experience. Use this resource to help to improve the product and help users.

(I happen to be a 14+ year DirecTV customer and was a long term beta tester for DirecTV, even tested some of the first next gen HD DVRs they made. DirecTV used loyal forum members to help beta test software, hardware, and even setup methods for user of the forums to download beta code every Friday night during certain windows. And in return, these members gave valuable real world feedback, did write-ups, and the biggest advantage ... had active members on the forums helping users solve their issues because they were "in the loop" with DirecTV.)

Please, why wouldn't Cadillac and these forums setup basic sticky topics for:
Cell Phones that work with CUE. Phone model - Features that work and those that don't (place call, receive calls, voice dial, media playing, text to voice, etc).

As part of debugging, knowing what CUE software version you have is important factor on what feature might/might not work. There is no reason that Cadillac can't put on the software info screen a model code and software version (Hardware Code: ATS13-CUE-HW-XYZ, Software Version: 987654) . A sticky on a forum like this can allow users to post what their code/version they have, showing what is out there. If I see my version is outdated for my HW Code, then I should get an update. If someone has my version and a feature works, then I know I have a bug or an environment issue on my end (say a phone issue).

Cadillac, please understand, not using technology like this form for tech savvy people to come to for real answers is a mistake. It will turn off future customers you are trying to attract. Things like your staff visiting a customer and listening to his issues and then that experience being shared here is a great thing. It shows you care and offers the rest of us hope. Having a Q&A with users here and CUE developers is a great thing. (Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a report from that group here.)

Just my two cents from a new and frustrated user who can't get some basic CUE functions to work.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Example, if we were to know like other do (Acura for example) in order for the Text to Speech to work, your phone need to have CUE software version XYZ and you phone to support Bluetooth 3.0 with MAP (Message Access Profile) (here is the Wikipedia page for all Bluetooth Profiles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile). Then you could go to the official Bluetooth page (https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/listings.cfm) and lookup your device and pull up the profiles it supports. I have an HTC EVO 3D ... HW compliant with v3.0 - HFP - HSP - A2DP - AVRCP - OPP - PBAP - FTP - HID - MAP. Then knowing the version of Android which of those it supports. MAP for example is not supported in Android pre-4.4. So if text to speech requires MAP, my phone running pre-Android 4.4 will not work because even though HW is supports it, the OS doesn't.

#4 ·
I'm getting a new unit tomorrow --I'll be sure to check the software version just in case. . . Both directions "just in case" --whether somehow I got the old one, or they are putting a newer version in new units that they haven't released for general upgrade yet.

#5 ·
Well the good news is you picked the right car! I LOVE how the ATS drives bar none.

The bad news is don't expect much from CUE and just use your phone's bluetooth to interact with it. Chances are high your phone already does speech recognition and has apps on it to do most of what you want. CUE was about 2 years too late, by the time people started using it, their smart phones were already better at everything anyway and the user expectation level was way higher that expected. Everyday I wonder why I can't just wedge an iPad mini in the space instead and call it day.

#6 ·
I gave up on CUE after two months and plug in my ipad as just an audio source. You said it all when you said "the promise of CUE." I too thought this was a new game and a new approach - apps, updates, wow. They won't even give the 2013 people the 2014 upgrade. I love my ATS despite the CUE. But I am angry at Cadillac for not living up to their "promise."
So I'll likely check back here every month to see if anything has changed. I won't hold my breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.