Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Radio reception question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
HI guys I hope some one here can help me out.

I'm getting very poor radio reception in my 98 Eldorado with the Bose system.
Sounds fine with a CD or tape. The reception is so bad that I don't even try to use the radio.
The antenna extends but unless I am near a station I don't get the station clearly or if at all.
I have pulled the head unit and checked the antenna lead plug in and it looks OK.
I looked at the power antenna and the ground for it and it seems to be OK.
The reception is somewhat better if I'm sitting still.
The reception is so bad if I'm more than 10 miles from a station it won't come in.
I'm thinking maybe the antenna or the lead has gone bad.
Does anyone have any suggestions before I replace the antenna?

Thanks Tom

#3 ·
If you have an antenna problem and you try the "search" function on your radio in the AM mode, it wont stop at a station. On FM it might stop at 2 or three. That verifies an antenna issue rather than a radio issue. Now, you need to maybe add a grounding jumper wire from the mast to a bare metal piece. If it improves, then I would suspect a weak ground. If your co ax cable screws onto your mast with 2 sheet metal screws, you might remove it and clean the cable end and the under surface of the mounting flange you unscrewed. Report back.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Ranger, I pulled the head unit and the antenna lead is firmly plugged in. Connections look good.

Carnut, When you push the search button it won't stop on AM or FM you can manually tune a near station in and the tuner play but not very well.

I added a ground jumper to the mast and it didn't help.

I pulled the antenna checked the grounds cleaned the antenna lead socket still no improvement.

Do you think it would help to check for continuity between the poles on the antenna lead ends?

I'm thinking maybe the lead is bad?

Or if possibly an antenna booster could help?

I don't have any Idea what the PO has been done to the stereo system in the past.

Thanks again,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.