Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Best transmission fluid??!!

20K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  QUIQUE1978 
#1 ·
I want to change the transmission fluid in my 2006 Cadillac SRX v6 AWD,but do not know the type and best brand to buy.I have read that the RedLine fluid is great or the Royal Purple,what do you think?Should I just go with AC Delco?
Also,is the same fluid for the transfer case?

#2 ·
From service manual for my 08............

Automatic
Transmission
DEXRON®-VI Automatic
Transmission Fluid.

Transfer Case
Manual Transmission Fluid
(GM Part No. U.S. 88861800,
in Canada 88861801

I let the dealer put in the transmission fluid. For the transfer case, I put in Mobil 1 ATF fluid (dexron compatible)

#3 ·
For my 2008 6 speed, I used Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF (Dexron VI) for the transmission and Mobil 1 ATF (Dexron III) for the transfer case. You will probably get many different responses saying that both of these will void the warranty, but it's out of warranty anyway. I read many pages on the subject and this is the best I came up with. Royal Purple is nice if you have the cash.

#4 ·
I just want the best for my car,and if that means spending a little bit more money, it's ok,because it will save me time and money on the long road.I have used Red Line and Royal Purple in my other truck and they did improved gas milage and the transsmision was very smooth and quick on the shifts!

#7 ·
From reading various sources the consensus seems to be if a transmission fluid meets Dexron VI licensing requirements it's OK. Are you doing a full fluid exchange or just replenishing the 4 - 5 qts drained from the pan? I recently exchanged the 11 - 12 qts in my 03 Envoy using Amalie's Dexron VI. However using the method I used of pumping fluid into a calibrated bucket and replenishing thru the fill tube doesn't work on the SRX's closed transmission. You might check what it would cost to have the dealer do it if doing the later of a full exchange.

G
#10 ·
If he offers flushing ask to look at his equipment, make sure he has the x-overs to fit your trans cooling lines, I am sure you have a honest mechanic but some say they flush and have no equipment, so how did they flush?

#15 ·
YUP. There are a lot of opinions. I submit a few of my favorites:

- Most people think DEX VI can be used in any former DEX III application: and it can be in most cases - BUT NOT IN SOME GM MANUAL TRANNIES AND TRANSFER CASES THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR DEX III.

- the GM 88861800 transfer case fluid mentioned earlier is indeed the direct replacement for Dex III for the above-noted applications where the new Dex VI is specifically not recommended by GM. So, it or any good DEX III should be fine in the transfer case. I found Amsoil DEX III-compatible ATF to work a bit smoother in my C5 Corvette manual trans than the GM 88861800 - but it's full of finicky syncros, not like a transfer case.

- The GM service manual states the SRX 5-speed holds a bit over 9 qts, and the 6-speed a bit over 11 qts.
When drained, only about 7 qts come out, leaving 2 in the 5-speed and 4 in the 6-speed.
This was exactly my experience when I changed mine.
So, quibbling over the "best" DEX VI fluid, among those meeting the required GM spec, might be a
moot point, when we're leaving a third or more of the old fluid in the trans. We might be best-served by draining and refilling it twice with the cheaper stuff.

- I think tranny fluid is kinda like wax - it's not so much which brand you use, it's how often you use it.
I changed mine at 60k, and was shocked at out dark gray it was - there was absolutely no red color left at all - nasty! I might consider doing it again, as soon as the burns on my fingers heal. What a Hell of a job!

Cheers,
DG

#16 ·
YUP. There are a lot of opinions. I submit a few of my favorites:

- Most people think DEX VI can be used in any former DEX III application: and it can be in most cases - BUT NOT IN SOME GM MANUAL TRANNIES AND TRANSFER CASES THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR DEX III.

- the GM 88861800 transfer case fluid mentioned earlier is indeed the direct replacement for Dex III for the above-noted applications where the new Dex VI is specifically not recommended by GM. So, it or any good DEX III should be fine in the transfer case. I found Amsoil DEX III-compatible ATF to work a bit smoother in my C5 Corvette manual trans than the GM 88861800 - but it's full of finicky syncros, not like a transfer case.

- The GM service manual states the SRX 5-speed holds a bit over 9 qts, and the 6-speed a bit over 11 qts.
When drained, only about 7 qts come out, leaving 2 in the 5-speed and 4 in the 6-speed.
This was exactly my experience when I changed mine.
So, quibbling over the "best" DEX VI fluid, among those meeting the required GM spec, might be a
moot point, when we're leaving a third or more of the old fluid in the trans. We might be best-served by draining and refilling it twice with the cheaper stuff.

- I think tranny fluid is kinda like wax - it's not so much which brand you use, it's how often you use it.
I changed mine at 60k, and was shocked at out dark gray it was - there was absolutely no red color left at all - nasty! I might consider doing it again, as soon as the burns on my fingers heal. What a Hell of a job!

Cheers,
DG
Thanks for the information!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.