Cadillac Owners Forum banner

no radio volume at startup - base, non-CUE system

7K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  barlowc 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 ATS Standard 2.0T with the base, non-CUE infotainment system. Similar to another problem that I just posted, intermittently, when I start the vehicle, I don't have any radio volume. I can turn the volume up, down, and mute it, but nothing happens. When I toggle through AM, FM, and XM inputs, radio volume is restored. Is this happening to anyone else, and if so, have you gotten it resolved?

I know AmerLux had this problem, as posted in http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...installed.html. Despite having taken his vehicle in many, many, many times it was never resolved.

I took my vehicle to the dealer when the problem was occurring. They couldn't/wouldn't look at it at the time, but scheduled me for a service appointment. While they kept my vehicle for 15 days, in the end they said they couldn't reproduce the problem and suggested that I bring it in when the problem is occurring, which is what I'd done in the first place.

#2 ·
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Since making the post, I went a couple of weeks without the problem occurring once. I've kept a log and I went 38 consecutive starts without it happening. Then, over the past 4 days, it's happened once per day which equates to 4 of 13 starts.

My dealer had told me that system updates are automatically sent to the vehicle via OnStar. Is there any truth to that? Frankly, I don't think the dealer knows what they're talking about.

#4 ·
Hello Chris,

I was able to search through our system and see your open case with our customer action team. I see there was an initial phone call to you on 09/10/13 followed by another phone call in which a message was left on 09/11/13 and now there is a scheduled follow-up call for 09/14/13. I see your acting agent left a voicemail with their phone number and your case file number. If you would like to further discuss this with me via private message and ensure your phone number is the correct one to best reach you by I am more than happy to do that. I will leave a notify for your acting agent of our interaction and anything else you would like me to inform them.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#5 ·
Hi Laura. I did receive a voice mail on 09/11 around 11:30 AM from someone at the "GM Customer Action Team". They said they were calling in regards to "the e-mail that I had sent", but I wasn't sure what e-mail they were talking about. Anyway, I am planning to call them back this afternoon.

#6 ·
Hi Chris,

In your case file that was created in regards to them, there was an email that was sent from you to Cadillac in which their team got a hold of. I see you are going to call your acting agent back. If you would like my assistance with anything, please let me know and reach out to me via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
Bryce2.0T and jessehell... when you turn your vehicles off, what radio mode do you typically leave it in? XM, AM, FM? I'm exclusively an XM listener, so when I turn my ATS off, it's on an XM channel. I'm starting to experiment with leaving it on FM when I turn the vehicle off just to see if the XM module is a factor.

#13 ·
That sucks. Can you describe the display freezing on the wrong channel? I have a similar issue where sometime, when I change the channel, the sound will change accordingly and the display below the speedometer will reflect the new channel, but the display in the center stack will display the old channel for 15 - 30 seconds before it changes. Is your issue similar to that in any way?

Straight off the lot and home from the dealer, I had a problem where intermittently upon startup, the radio would start on the default/lowest FM channel instead of where I left it. There was an internal bulletin of sorts for that issue which was supposed to be resolved by reprogramming the radio module, but in my case reprogramming the radio module caused other things to stop working and they ended up also reprogramming the BCM, replacing the radio module, and replacing the center stack. I haven't seen the issue since, but now have the intermittent no radio volume at startup issue.

What's frustrating is that I'm now on the hook to tell the dealer exactly how to reproduce the problem before they can/will do anything about it. GM Customer Service is working with me and has suggested that I try a different dealer who they'll work on the issue with. But I guess I don't have much confidence that it'll get resolved if someone doesn't already know about the issue and how to fix it. Playing the "component replacement game" probably isn't going to do it.

#16 ·
Hello jessehell,

I am sorry to hear that the dealership ruined your tire when you brought it there the last time and that you are experiencing this issue as well. If you would like any assistance working with the dealership to look into this concern, please feel free to private message us or reach out to us at socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#17 ·
I had this issue happen again yesterday so I recorded a video.

In reviewing the video, I believe that one of my fingers had touched the channel back button when I was adjusting the volume. That's how it ended up on the XM 1 preview channel.

To the helpful folks at Cadillac Customer Care, please forward this to the correct group so that they can see the problem and hopefully come up with a fix for it.

#21 ·
barlowc said:
All week long, I've been driving a 2014 2.5L Standard loaner while my ATS is at the dealer having problems looked at. This particular vehicle was manufactured in 06/2013. I've had the same "no volume" issue occur twice in this vehicle.
That is truly bizarre! Does both your car and the loaner car come without CUE equipped? I noticed that you have a device connected by Bluetooth. When you start your car, does it auto connect with your Bluetooth enabled device? For me, my ATS connects automatically and starts playing the music I have only if the music app on my iPhone is loaded. If I killed the app, no music plays and I have to access the app and the music starts up after I hit play either on my iPhone or on the touch screen. Note that I have CUE but it may be a similar concept. I wonder if your car connects to the Bluetooth device but the landing screen in your car is set to XM radio. Since no music is playing from your Bluetooth device, nothing comes out of the speakers until you swap through the media selections. It could be a software bug. Who knows!

#24 ·
I picked up my vehicle from the dealer this morning. It had been there for 8 days having this issue and a handful of others looked at. I was told that I had the latest version of the program, but they decided to try reprogramming it anyway. Although the dealer was not able to reproduce the problem, and despite the reprogramming, the second time I started the vehicle today, the problem presented itself. I recorded a video for "documentation" purposes, but other than showing an odometer with more miles, it doesn't show anything about the problem that the videos I previously posted showed. Very frustrating! A $40K vehicle with a radio that doesn't work and it doesn't seem as if GM/Cadillac has a fix. This isn't what I signed up for.

#28 ·
While it's been a while since the last reply/post, I wanted to post an update since it seems that my problem has been resolved. In July, an update became available and my dealer "reprogrammed radio per PI1238A". I have not experienced the problem since. So if anyone still has the program, you may want to inquire about that bulletin at your dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.