Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Modding the factory LED accent lights

14K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  davedogcaddy 
#1 ·
So my SRX has the vertical LED tubes that light up when the lights are on. They look nice but are very dim. I also have a Cadillac ATS with the insanely bright vertical LED lights. Has anyone tried to modify the SRX to make these lights as bright as an ATS or XTS?
I'll probably do a google search for LED conversions but was hoping someone had already done it.

(random pics)
ATS
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive design

SRX
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
The ATS' lights are its DRL's, where the SRX has halogen lights for its DRL's. That is the main difference for the reason. The light pipes on the SRX are just accents.

#6 ·
Captain:

this has been one of those things i've been on the fence about since i bought the vehicle. just can't make up my mind.

one place online that you cold purchase them from made it look like the chrome was an overlay and optional....true?

what circuit did you tie into?

#7 ·
I couldn't figure out the non chrome ones if it was an option or not, so I made sure to purchase one that was chrome. (3M'd over it for protection) It's not an overlay, its chrome dipped plastic.
To tie into, I just purchased a small connector set the same as the fog lights and tied into it, so it was a quick connect and didn't tie into actual vehicle electronics.
LED Fog light bezels
Plus these knock the top of the actual fog light output off, and refocuses it onto the road, so it doesn't hurt people eyes as much. :D

On topic: a close look at the SRX's light pipes, I believe to be one medium bright LED at the bottom only. So if you tore apart the headlight casing, replaced the bottom with a high power LED, and got one into the top, it could make all the world of difference, but still not to ATS/XTS levels. (As I believe the ATS/XTS uses multiple LED's to get to the DRL level of brightness)

#8 ·
I hate to go through the process of removing a headlight, baking it, tearing it apart, then finding out I can't do anything with it haha. But that might just be what I have to do. Problem then would be I'd have to reassemble the light while I wait for an order on some new LEDs. Wish I knew more about electronics and lighting.

#10 ·
You can make them true DRL (auto on - off)
I hooked up on bench top to prove out and the whole installation only took about an hour

Posted on 3/12/13

Aliexpress
Excellent Quality, daytime running light for Cadillac SRX 2010-2012, Ultra-bright LED illumination, DRL Fog Lamp Cover Kit Light
Product ID: 570260832

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Excel...570260832.html

Remove the small cover on back side of the controller and change the switches to:
(13.25 V)
switch 6 : off
switch 1 : ON
switch 2 : ON
switch 3 : OFF
switch 4 : OFF
switch 5 : OFF

Then connect positive and negative, Red + (fused) & Black – to the battery, tie off other wires, they’re not used. The patented technology dedicated Daytime Running Light: the unique car to start Automatic Identification System (LEDs switch on their own lights turn on and off).

I didn’t remove wheels or jack my SRX up, only removed wheel well liner screws, turned the wheels, pulled the liner back, reached in and pushed out the original bezel, ran the wires, plugged in the wires to new LED bezels, pushed them into place, replaced wheel liner screws, hooked control box red & black to battery, tied off wires and control box and was done.

#13 ·
I have ordered the Aliexpress LED Daytime Running Lights for my 2011 SRX Premium last week and anxiously await their arrival. SRXDave I sent you a PM with a couple of questions about your installation as I too want these connected so that they come on upon vehicle start. If any one has any experience with connecting these so that they light upon vehicle start and what is required to connect please message me with how you connected yours.
Thanks
Bob

#14 ·
#16 ·
For some reason no matter how I copied/pasted the link it wouldn't work on *THIS FORUM* - I could copy/paste the same link in another browser tab and it opens fine. cadillac forums seems to break it?!? Anyway - it seems to work this way:

http://goo.gl/HolWe4

#17 ·
Well I installed my LED Fog Lamps from the above Vendor yesterday afternoon. They look great on my 2011 Platinum Ice SRX and I wired them so that they would come on automatically upon start just like the factory driving lights. It is amazing how much brighter the front of my SRX is now. I hope this adds another layer of safety while driving.

#19 ·
They are different, and do look nice.

The only thing I can see, is if these are made of the same 'awesome' quality chrome that mine are, whatever isn't 3M'd is going to chip extremely easy (then they'll look bad). I like how the ones on mine cutoff the top of the fog lights nicely to assist other drivers/ focus more light on the road. It's a nice feature from design.

#21 ·
Mine just has the chrome circle around the light, and yep, it definitely chipped more than OEM. I 3M'd the main light bar, because I know our road debris would chip it.

#23 ·
yeah, the price of the ones the Captain has make it more attractive too. The quality thing scares me a bit though. I'm pretty OCD - so I'm not sure how I feel about the chipping issue. Could the chrome ring from the OEM one be translated to the new one? Is it a separate piece? I wish I could find some info on the ones that didn't have the chrome around the light bar that I've seen in some pics. Almost looks more OEM to me that way...

#24 ·
davedogcaddy said:
yeah, the price of the ones the Captain has make it more attractive too. The quality thing scares me a bit though. I'm pretty OCD - so I'm not sure how I feel about the chipping issue. Could the chrome ring from the OEM one be translated to the new one? Is it a separate piece? I wish I could find some info on the ones that didn't have the chrome around the light bar that I've seen in some pics. Almost looks more OEM to me that way...
They come in one piece, inclusive the wiring harness.

----------

weealbert said:
They come in one piece, inclusive the wiring harness.
I did look for that particular style wo the chrome bar and was told that they discontinue that model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.