Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Oil usage

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  poncho89 
#1 ·
I have an 05 with the V-6. I took a trip last weekend and drove 1700 miles. Used 2 quarts of oil. I knew about the higher oil usage on these cars but that seems a bit excessive to me. I remember reading about a catch can or something on here awhile back but cant remember the name of it. Does it really help? Anyone have a link to what they used and had the best results with? At 7 dollars a quart and 1 quart every 1000 miles or so I think it would be a wise investment.

#2 ·
The catch can does NOT stop the oil consumption, it just stops it from being sucked into the intake...You need to look into the PCV mod to address the oil useage issue.

#3 ·
You may have excessive sludge build up inside your engine, not allowing the piston rings to properly wipe the oil from the cylinder walls burning it in the cumbustion process. A good engine clean paired with the catchcan and 7/64 drill mod to the pcv should help out. I believe it doesn't allow as much pressure to build u inside the crankcase, therefore saving more oil from being sucked out. I did the mod and I still burn oil just not quite as much..

#6 ·
you can always do the Seafoam trick. the bottle should be at nearly every parts store. looks like this:
http://www.autobarn.net/sea-foam-en...=google_base&gclid=CI2krsu_h7gCFZBaMgodVQUAtA

you take the vacuum line off of the brake booster and suck up a third of the bottle (pour into a cup or something) the car will sputter when the fluid is all sucked up. turn the engine off, let it sit for 15 min then (after reattaching the brake booster line) fire the engine back up.
Hey look at that, a ton of black smoke. Thats the carbon in your engine getting cleaned.

Now, I have always been told to change out your spark plugs after you do this since you might foul them. I did when I did the procedure, some members on the forum have gotten away with not changing the plugs, good for them. I dunno.

#7 ·
That cleans the fuel system, intake mani, valves and combustion chamber and yes gets rid of carbon, But will not do anything for oil consumption. You can add a portion of that seafoam in the crankcase a day or two before an oil change, it will work as a engine clean/flush. As for fouling out you plugs, your adding way to much cleaner at one time, can also cause hydro-lock so dont just dump it in.

#8 ·
And burning all of that crap out plays hell on your cats. Catalytic converters are expensive. Especially on a Cadillac. Sure, you can get universal hi-flow cats for cheaper than OEM. But I have heard of the hi-flows pissing off your O2 sensors and throwing codes. If it throws a code, it no longer passes DEQ.

Adding it to the oil, before an oil change sounds like a better idea. That way the crap is drained out the system, not burned out.

A clean engine should not use as much oil. Cleaning the engine will hopefully allow the piston rings to seal better. Thusly, less oil will seep past the rings into the combustion chambers.

A catch can will certainly help less oil make it to your combustion chambers from the intake side.

The only thing that has a chance at fixing it is the PCV mod, which addresses an actual mechanical problem. The PCV metering tube is sub-par, and allows excessive pressure to build up in the crankcase. This excessive pressure is what makes oil get pulled through the PCV system. This piece of crap metering tube also cannot deal with the amount of oil that gets pulled through (due to the pressure the piece of crap metering tube causes). Drilling it out eliminates at least some of the excess pressure, and allows the oil to at least pass through the PCV system correctly. Correctly being, the oil goes to the combustion chambers. The catch can prevents the oil from being burnt, but still allows for a closed loop PCV system as per modern emissions standards.

#9 ·
And burning all of that crap out plays hell on your cats. Catalytic converters are expensive. Especially on a Cadillac. Sure, you can get universal hi-flow cats for cheaper than OEM. But I have heard of the hi-flows pissing off your O2 sensors and throwing codes. If it throws a code, it no longer passes DEQ.

Adding it to the oil, before an oil change sounds like a better idea. That way the crap is drained out the system, not burned out.

A clean engine should not use as much oil. Cleaning the engine will hopefully allow the piston rings to seal better. Thusly, less oil will seep past the rings into the combustion chambers.

A catch can will certainly help less oil make it to your combustion chambers from the intake side.

The only thing that has a chance at fixing it is the PCV mod, which addresses an actual mechanical problem. The PCV metering tube is sub-par, and allows excessive pressure to build up in the crankcase. This excessive pressure is what makes oil get pulled through the PCV system. This piece of crap metering tube also cannot deal with the amount of oil that gets pulled through (due to the pressure the piece of crap metering tube causes). Drilling it out eliminates at least some of the excess pressure, and allows the oil to at least pass through the PCV system correctly. Correctly being, the oil goes to the combustion chambers. The catch can prevents the oil from being burnt, but still allows for a closed loop PCV system as per modern emissions standards.
Well said.

#10 ·
Haven't had a chance to get to the PCV Mod yet but hope to soon. My son borrowed my car a couple weeks ago for a trip. I told him he needed to get the oil changed first. Almost shit when the bill was $90. aside from that something interesting turned up after. After driving the car close to 2500 miles or so the oil level hasn't changed. Before the oil change I used 3 quarts on a 1700 mile trip. Hasn't used any since the change. Any ideas why?

#11 ·
I know on my car, I do not burn any oil at all until the oil gets down to the last 40% of its life and then it starts to consume about a 1/4 quart every 500 miles or so. I think its normal for oil to start to burn as it gets "worn out" Perhaps your oil was getting to the end of it life as well. I was told by my dealership to change the oil around 30%, perhaps this is why.

Others mileage may vary, no pun intended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.