Cadillac Owners Forum banner

hydro dipped interior

8K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
So Monday im dropping of some parts to get dipped and I'm just wondering if anybody has done this all ready

I'm basically getting all the factory center bezel pieses done except for the a/c controls

My goal is to not copy but be similar to the c6 w/ the carbon fiber center bezel like in this pic.

See less See more
#6 ·
I tossed around the idea of using a tablet for a screen. So when I found out I was going a week with out my factory radio I decided to make a lil something. I had every thing I needed just laying around except the radio bezel so I decided to make this.

It's not perfect cuz I really just threw it together but it looks pretty cool. I also Just placed my a/c vents so it doesn't look so torn apart. Plus using a balancer app it's only .5* off, not to bad for a weekend project I did mostly drunk.

#11 · (Edited)
AAIIIC said:
I have to say I've never been impressed by pics I've seen of hydrodipped CF pattern, so I'm curious to see how yours looks when the parts are done.
The guy doing the work showed me a finished product in his f150 and it looked amazing. He also has a semi tinted clear coat that makes it not so shiny. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the regular clear or the tinted one. I kinda think the shiny look would be a better contrast.

What have you seen that you didn't like? I'm not expecting 100% perfection but I am expecting about 95%.

#14 ·
^^^ What he said. All I can see in that tiny picture is a black piece of some car's interior. If there's a pattern on it, I can't see it.

As for what I didn't like of the ones I've seen, it just looked very flat and one-dimensional. CF, since it's a weave, has some depth to it. Hard to describe, I guess, but the hydro-dipped CF patterns I've seen just didn't look real at all.

#16 · (Edited)
AAIIIC said:
^^^ What he said. All I can see in that tiny picture is a black piece of some car's interior. If there's a pattern on it, I can't see it.

As for what I didn't like of the ones I've seen, it just looked very flat and one-dimensional. CF, since it's a weave, has some depth to it. Hard to describe, I guess, but the hydro-dipped CF patterns I've seen just didn't look real at all.
I know what you mean about the depth, real carbon fiber has a very unique look. I'm not trying to fool people into thinking I have real CF. I'm just trying to make my interior not so boring.

Technology

Here's some cts door bezels like I'm getting done.

I'm having to resize the pics in order to post them and a lot of the look is lost.

#17 ·
Host the pics somewhere else and then link them in the post. that way you can post whatever size photo you want.

#22 ·
P-Funk said:
Any update on the progress? Also, where are you getting this done?
Everything is taking longer than expected. It was supposed to be finished last Friday...but it's not. I'm trying not to get frustrated about how long its taking cause I understand its a difficult job.

There was some drips in the clear around the really sharp edges so they had to start over on a couple of pieces.

I don't wanna name the shop until all the work has been finished. Plus I won't blame the shop for taking a lil longer than expected. I told them quality is more important to me than turnaround time.

Wtf I can't get any pics to upload on this site. I'm No computer expert but this is ****ing Ridiculous. If anybody with a Mac can help me out ill get some pics posted.

#25 ·
carlson_mn said:
good update... hope you're rockin' those computer speakers still!
Hell yea.

----------

Overd0s3 said:
I'm 24 on a 24inch screen and I can barely see what the hell is going on in these 2 inch photos so I wonder what the older crowd is thinking. Please put us out of our misery and upload some real pics
I'm sry. I'm trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.