Cadillac Owners Forum banner

anyone have a bad experience buying caddy parts on E-Bay

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  1980coupe 
#1 ·
hi all, i purchased what was advertised as 77-79 abs rear bumper fillers for a 79 deville from e-bay. by the time i got the car out of storage i realized the fillers were for 80-92 devilles and the refund period had expired. I e-mailed the guy and explained to him that weather conditions up here in the north keep our cars in storage alittle longer than florida. i sent him a pic of the fillers he sent me and a pic of the correct fillers for the 77-79, it was obvious they were the wrong ones. I also pointed out to him that the part number on the fillers he sent me indicate that they were for the 80-92 devilles. He offered to take them back at 50%. anyone else ever get parts wrongly advertised on e-bay? If i don't get satisfaction i'll be sellimg them on this site. thanks for reading.

#3 ·
I've never had any issues whatsoever on eBay. Always double check what you're buying, make sure it is for your car and not another model. It's not his fault, he went by what was stamped on written on the fillers, perhaps a manufacturers defect and wasn't caught. And your part to blame to, how can you mistake fillers for an 80-92 to those on 77-79. It has differences. But on the bright side, you can make your money back easily here. How much, my 78 needs them.

#4 ·
1980coupe, i must have written my post wrong. the fillers i needed were for a 79 deville, the fillers he sent were for 80-92. the stampings on them were CA8R which indicate 80-92. as far as knowing the differences in the two fillers, my car was surrounded by boats and other cars so climbing over other peoples stuff was kind of not an option,and unless i could compare the two together i would not have known the difference. When a man who sells caddy parts tells me what the merchandice is i take his word for it. Guess i was wrong

#7 ·
always buyer beware ... it sucks but this one is on you ... there is only so much that ebay and/or paypal can do
and they do offer those dispute periods where they almost always side with the buyer - i know because i was scammed by a buyer once when i was selling some NOS we had here

#8 ·
i hear you guys on this. I know i'm going to get it in the shorts on this but, the guy shouldn't walk away clean.I went to the page he had the fillers listed and it's been taken down very recently.It seems money doesn't talk at e-bay it screams.it's too bad some peoples word isn't much nowdays. My e-bay days are done. Hey deville 33 what years were they?

#10 ·
He prob had them listed wrong and until you complained didn't know. If the time has expired you're probably sol . did you check his reviews first?
Recently returned a window switch that was non functional still waiting on refund. I have opened a couple cases from slow refunds. I have also screwed myself by not triple checking the listing/application and reviews close enough. For all the $$ I have saved over the years not going to stop using eBay anytime soon.

#11 ·
you know, now that I recall, there was once an incident where I purchased a CD- nothing car parts related but still a transaction on eBay and a lot of time went by and heard nothing. Turns out the seller had passed away and I was refunded my purchase price thru paypal. It took sometime but the money was there again.

outsider- oops, my mistake. LOL. :)

#12 ·
the guy had a 99% rating. I didn't mind paying a restocking fee but, 50% was alittle much. I've dealt with some funny characters and have been going to junk yards for 40 yrs and haven't really experienced this e-bay trip. i have a friend who has a salvage yard with over 4000 old cars and he doesn't do business like that. Anyway, they are for sale or trade.give me a shout

#15 ·
Any problems i've had with ebay are very rare and usually corrected by the seller or ebay when you go thru the dispute process. In this case the seller should either send you the right part or give you a whole refund since he obviously sent the wrong part. Big question is how long have you had them?

#16 ·
I have bought much more stuff from Ebay than I care to think about. $$$$:lol:

I have always found that any issues are solved quickly and easily. The only time they ever let me down was when I bought the 1970 DeVille convertible for $1.00 and $3.75 postage. I'm still checking my new "garage sized" mailbox I installed daily.:hmm:

#18 ·
i waited too long, a couple of months so, i expect to lose this one. the car was being stored and i couldn't get near it until the cars and boats started moving out. when i went in to compare the fillers i new they were wrong. I bought them as (buy now) so e-bay has no history on it and the seller says paypal won't allow him to give me a full refund. As i stated i can understand a restocking fee and the part isn't electrical so there shouldn't be an issue.

#19 ·
It should still be there on your history on the feedback section or in your my eBay when you log on. Did you and seller exchanged feedback?
Also in your paypal account, there is a record of what you buy, all you do is search on what month day and current year and it'll pull up
your history of money sent and received.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.