Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine Overheating slowly 03 deville How diagnose radiator?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 ·
Replaced water pump-actually whole crossover. When it was cool, every so often it would get too hot(By the gauge-two bars over normal) and I would find it needed anti-freeze. Couldn't find leak but it only happened every other month. Now, in the heat, it is doing it every other trip except there is anti-freeze in there. when I loosened the cap I got a steady stream and burned myself. after it cooled it took 1 bottle of 50/50 and cooled down, it may have boiled that much out. Now I am wondering if it is a circulation problem or thermostat. I cannot see any leaks when it is running. I wonder if it spits it out when I shut it off. The car has 193,000 miles. How can I find out if it needs a new radiator?

----------

Water-pump crossover had to be replaced because pump would not come out. It was leaking all over the place from the back. replacement fixed those leaks. Overheating is new. I forgot to move my new thermostat over to the crossover that I got from the junk yard. Is it thermostat? radiator? what else could be wrong. All hoses are new and sealed.

#2 ·
check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

#5 ·
Cleared Purge Line with Coat hanger as instructed. Started it and verified flow at nipple and at end that goes in tank. Verified that water pump drive system is working properly. I am at work and will see how it does on the way home.(25 mile trip)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.