Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Looking to purchase a 05-08 sts, motor questions?

4K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  carter527 
#1 ·
I have my eye on a few cars right now, I'm having a hard time deciding between the v6 and v8? Is one more trouble free/reliable than the other? Thanks

#13 ·
I've got an 06 STS with the v6 with 75,000 miles and am doing an oil useage test through my dealer to see if GM will relace/rebuild the engine. I'm using 1 quart every 700 miles!! I buy Mobil1 by the gallon to keep my STS and my wife's SRX filled. Hers has the same problem but we haven't done the test yet. I'd agree with the posts on the v8, although I've never driven one. I get 20-21 mpg most of the time and have never gotten above 22.

#14 ·
Hello chachd,

I see you have an ongoing issue with your oil usage. If this is something you would like me to assist you with, please private message me with your name, address, phone number, and VIN#. I am more than happy to be of assistance and stay involved through your process of fixing this issue. Have a wonderful night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#18 ·
Yet another vote for the N*.

I owned a 04 CTS 3.6L for a year, it had some good power but wasn't enough.

Also test drove a 2005 STS with that same 3.6L and it felt under powered to me as well so when I bought my 06 I wasn't settling for anything but the V8....Love it!

My N* doesn't use a drop of oil and hasn't had any major issues since I got her with 71k on the clock. All I've replaced under the hood is the waterpump (extended warranty), starter (extended warranty), and a motor mount (out of pocket).

#19 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 STS, I love my car but I had to find out the hard way that at least the v6 (great engine ) has a bad problem of the camshaft gets loose and eventually destroys the engine. I had to put in a complete engine. I was told by the dealership that did the work about the engine problem. other than that It's a great car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.