Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Chrome Tech wheel peeling

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  davedogcaddy 
#1 ·
Was washing the SRX and noticed this after I cut my finger on the wheel:

Only have about 2,500 miles on her. I tried to change out the wheels during purchase but was assured there were no problems with these wheels. Going to see what they say now. I hate these wheels, they look like hub caps the way they are made.

Me giving the wheels the finger:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
IMO: They are a very pretty wheel but unfortunately they are very susceptible to any type of hits and will damage easily if you are not very careful... they can also pit easily in the winter if not kept clean all the time. I believe that is one reason why the new optional 20" 2013 wheels are all one piece now.

Yes, indeed they are a two-piece wheel. I had those Chrome Tech wheels on my 2010 SRX and they accidently hit the guide rail in a car wash and soon after they started to peel and flake off. Once those wheels get any type of hit and or any other damage to the wheels the chrome will soon split apart and or peel off.

#3 ·
IMO: They are a very pretty wheel but unfortunately they are very susceptible to any type of hits and will damage easily if you are not very careful... they can also pit easily in the winter if not kept clean all the time. I believe that is one reason why the new optional 20" 2013 wheels are all one piece now.

Yes, indeed they are a two-piece wheel. I had those Chrome Tech wheels on my 2010 SRX and they accidently hit the guide rail in a car wash and soon after they started to peel and flake off. Once those wheels get any type of hit and or any other damage to the wheels the chrome will soon split apart and or peel off.
As far as I know my wife didn't hit anything, they are a factory defect. The way I see it, I paid for the top of the line wheel. I sent my sales guy an email explaining what happened. I wanted to buy the 2013 wheels when we bought the car. The service manager told me that would not work as they are a different offset. I don't see how that is true when you can go to gmaccessorieszone and order the 2013 wheel when you are shopping on the 2012 page.

I would even be willing to downgrade to the base wheel to avoid these problems later.

#6 ·
Yes I am looking for a Chrome set of OEM 20' for my 12' SRX. I have the standard 20's on my Premium Pkg with the painted spokes. Nice wheels but wanted to go to chrome to make the platinum ice color pop.

I am leaning towards the 2013 chrome wheel (12 spoke) but would consider mint set of chrome clad wheels. My wheels have approx 500 miles on them at this moment.

#9 ·
Got word from the dealer they are only going to replace the one bad wheel. I figured that was going to be the answer. I am going to fight them, though, they told me before I bought that the 2013 wheels would not fit. This kind of stuff just eats at me, I want to believe they didn't know any better but how could they not know??? There was a 2013 with the new style wheel sitting on the lot!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.