Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'91 Transmission & Fuel Issues

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  drbv59 
#1 ·
I recently (July) purchased a very nice '91 California car.
Car did real well the first few weeks or so, but then started developing a very
strong fuel smell, much like a rich fuel mixure. Cadillac dealer confirmed no fuel
leaks anywhere, and seemed to agree it's running rich but had no "quick" ideas
without tearing into things a bit deeper. The car runs pretty well but does seem to run just a bit rough during acceleration. My other issue is the tranny. All was well until a few weeks ago when I shifted from Park to Reverse, the car failed to go
Into gear. After a few seconds, it finally caught. The fluid and filter was changed
recently, and I checked the level to make sure all was well. This has happened
a few times since with the car eventually going into gear after warming up a few
minutes. Once on the road, the shifting seems very strong and smooth.
Any ideas what I may be looking at here. between the fuel and transmission
issues, I'm real concerned I may have a major repair that I can't really justify
right now.

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thru on board diagnostics, you can manually short out one injector at a time to verify all are performing the same with the same RPM drop as shorted. That, though will not locate a leaking one. There was a recall on gas caps for leaking fumes, but I doubt thats your issue. Have a dealer run the VIN for outstanding recalls. One method of checking a leaking injector is to watch fuel pressure after the engine's been shut off. It should hold "rest" pressure for a span of time. If it drops quickly then a leaky injector is suspect. It requires you tap into the fuel line with a fuel pressure gauge!

#7 ·
I can't say for sure if this was checked during my last visit to the dealer- probably not.
I have plans to have this issue checked by another mechanic next week. My main concern at this point is the transmission. Does anyone know if this tranny is Allante specific- meaning hard to replace/repair?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.