Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Slippery rain and a rear wheel drive car don"t mix(pics)

9K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Kingoftypos 
#1 · (Edited)
thanks all.

#5 ·
meh...thats arguable..
you will be able to drive faster straight, and turn without the ass kicking out if you have proper tires, wont get stuck on a 10% uphill slope, and can do some bad ass awd drifts.

now after seeing this, with the road fairly dry, cop not in rain gear, grass not that wet, and your paint looks like it doesnt have a single water mark on it and the ford ranger has its wipers OFF...maybe you need new tires, and to slow down. that does not look like a bad corner..
i took a 90 degree right hand corner in the rain once doing about 70km..ya it skidded but thats it.

they do have advanced skid control classes you can take which are really fun and also advantageous to everyone.. no matter how good of a driver you think you are you can always learn something.

Reactions: SHORTSTACK
#6 ·
Thanks for all the people who know the condition just from looking at pics and knew the condition of the roads when the accident happened.
Tires are good,yes the car and grass is wet not the wet grass stuck all over the car. I didn't say it was a monsoon out. But thanks yes i am ok. This is my first accident in 37 years. So i good. Its only a car. My grand prix handles better.

#8 ·
first and foremost, i am very glad you are ok..especially since i have been severely injured in a car accident(not at fault) the last thing i ever want to hear about is someone being injured.

first accident in 37 years, thats a great record..shit happens and when it does its not always preventable.

it is very hard to tell, but your rear tires look to be lower on tread than your fronts, also there is a hole in your tire (from the accident i assume) that you can stick your finger in.
i f you lost traction like this you should look into tires that are designed for rwd vehicles and rain. i have falken FK452 directional tires and i can honestly say they are one of the best tires ive used in the rain. they grip great, and reduce hydroplaning.

#14 ·
He took them down because he knows he was driving like an ass. I was going to post a comment about it when i first read this but decided not to..... But the facts are, you were going to fast and tires were not that great of shape. Bottom line, you made a mistake and paid the price. Only a real man can swallow his pride and say yeah, i messed up, i admit it.... But seems that people who post accidents on here are looking for sympathy from stupidity. Glad that you aren't hurt, but the city street is not a race track. This time you got lucky, next time you might not.

#19 ·
Ok, I'm going to come out and say that I'm sorry you had an accident, and I'm glad you are ok.

But now sorry dude... I drive a CTS-V as my DD in NYC in rain, snow, etc... I don't see how you could be blaming RWD for any accident. I'd blame driver first and foremost. Maybe tires second, but driver first.

People get too comfortable driving in straight lines and think they can "Gran Turismo 5" their way out of situations. Your tires are rubber at the end of the day, and rain and rubber make for a slippery combo... I don't care what tires you have. I had a pair of DWS tires that I loved in the rain, but never would I be trying to take corners any faster then 5mph under recommended speed in the rain. I have nothing to prove by eating a wall or endangering others lives, or losing the car I actually like to drive.

AWD doesn't make you Ken Block either... I've seen an Evo X get stuck in the snow during a blizzard.

No amount of advanced electronics or drivetrain system will ever trump over driver adequacy.
So before blaming RWD, blame your own habits and driving.

#21 · (Edited)
Soo true...
When I lived in barrie it would be all suv's in the ditch on the highway 400. Locals took sideroads that were last to get cleared...less bad drivers on them.
I remember pulling up to a smart car in the plaza and i asked the guyif he ever got stuck..he said well its low butive got snow tires....i was driving in 4x4. In my truck that day lol

Od is right. But even with my fk452 I can accelerate in wet or damp roads on highway ramps. I'm a cautious. Driver and know my cars limts...but I also drive 20"rims on dirt roads with v sways and eibach springs...so maybe I'm missing a screw or 2

Reactions: Argent1
#23 ·
when the wheels start slipping you do NOT hit the brakes. better to ride it out.

guys, shit happens. maybe the OP is on his first rwd vehicle, maybe there was oil on the road as well which caused it to be even more slippery.
just the other day i was riding my bike home from work and while stopped waiting for a train to pass i put my foot down and couldnt believe how slippery the DRY PAVEMENT was. pure oil and grime and its a fairly new road (2 years maybe) when it rains it brings out oils even more.
bottom line hes ok, metal can be fixed and he should invest in some new tires with stiffer sidewalls and maybe upgrade the sway bars.

actually..the car damage doesnt even look that bad.

#25 · (Edited)
Didn't mention anything about brakes there sir, only opposite lock and fight the beast that is gravity :D
Its simple driver error, no good blaming the car or parts on it and going awd.
I've had mine sideways a few times but have always been able to bring it back into control even in the wet, probably something to do with me forcing the car to do this when I'm alone and I have a wide open space and lots of rain away from public danger (we have plenty of rain in the uk currently and we have an airfield unused close by).
Its not jackassing around its finding a way to get yourself out of the frying pan when the fire comes.
If you don't know how to control a rear wheel drive car your asking for trouble, these cars handle well for rwd, but try doing the same corner with a 1982 pontiac firebird, you would have probably flipped over if you don't correct it in time, if you push the limit and cant bring it back dont push it.

#26 ·
I wonder if he will ever post again after this...ham4864 (MIA) "never forgotten"

#33 ·
\

Despite all the people giving you crap, I'm glad to hear that your okay and I'm also sorry the car didn't make it. Then again I didn't see the pictures so I don't know if you totaled it. Either way I know you enjoyed that car and its sucks that it's gone but at least your alive and now you have a little bit more experience when loosing control in the rain.

I lost control of my old jimmy one time in the rain and ended up driving straight through a barbed wire fence and into a tree. I learned a lot from that accident and it was my first accident (16). With that said you should definitely post the pictures back up. I enjoy seeing pictures of cars I own wrecked and totaled.

I feel it not only lets you see areas of the car you might never see but also gives you an idea on build quality and what to expect if you were to get in a similar accident.

----------

I wish i had them but i lost the password to the image hosting site that i stored them to, But thanks for asking.
I post when have things to talk about, so after 13 short months. I'm back with the rear differential bushing needing to be replaced.
Wait you mean to tell me that's what caused my accident:bonkers: LOL
if you still know the site where you uploaded them you can simply go sign in and select the forgot my password link. I'm fairly sure you're still using the same email or at least remember the email and can just reset the password.

#30 ·
I've had some hairy arse moments on motorways (you guys call them freeways! tomato, tamarto potato, patarto! ) but easing off always brings the control back.
Practice helps, if your inexperienced in how to control a car in a skid, the immediate reaction is to hit the stop pedal, which in most cases in rain will cause you to gain momentum rather than slowing you down, if i was riding round in a robin reliant I wouldn't need to practice because it can barely hit 50mph, these cars can and will hit 150mph if pushed, its how far you push them and how much experience you have that keeps you out of harms way.

#31 ·
Translation: "Clearly it was the car's fault and the tires' fault that my car crashed in the rain. You guys are big meanies for saying that it was my fault. So screw you guys, I'm taking my ball and going home."

I'm just bummed that I missed this thread the first time around so I never got to see the pictures. :(

why not?? shit happens
plus that guy practiced that. A real life event is not practice.
It's not often that you see someone bump their own thread for no reason 13 months after they childishly edited the thread because they couldn't put up with being told the truth. :helpless:

Now that you've inexplicably returned to this thread, hm4864, can you repost your photos and whatever explanation you had posted originally? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.