Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1981 Brougham Project

29K views 185 replies 29 participants last post by  Angry Matt 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought another '81 Brougham. It's nowhere near as nice as my other one, but I got it for $800 and it's black. I've been wanting a triple black for a while, but this has the wine interior and the roof to match, now I'm over black interior, much happier with this. It's hasn't been on the road since '08 and needed brake lines, fuel lines, headliner and a windshield. I'm done the lines and have already done the front suspension and am waiting on rear shocks. I pulled the rear out today to swap it with the limited slip I've been holding on to. I'm sticking with the stock 2.41, the 3.23 I have is too snappy. I want to be able to cruise and drive the highway without topping out at 75 like the coupe was. I'm never going to race this car, but my mind changes like the wind. Either way, it should be on the ground by this weekend and ready to hit the road. The guy that owned it last painted something silver next to it and didn't bother covering the car, so it's covered in overspray. The fillers are busted of course and the tires are dryrotted. Where I'm confused is the route to go cosmetically. I've always wanted to do '90 exterior and make it look stock with the red center hubcaps, just lowered. Or, I've got a little collection of aftermarket accessories that I'm looking at. I've got a huge castle grill, 30 spoke Cragars, a sixth wheel and bumperettes. I'm leaning toward the '90 look because that's been a much longer desire of mine and I don't fit the style of the latter. Plus who needs the extra weight. I'll get pics up as soon as I can and keep updating. This is going to be a long project since I have limited time to work on it and a lot of work to do, I've only scratched the surface with what needs to get done. Any suggestions are appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
On the paint front, can you save what is there? A good heavy compounding may well take care of the overspray. The beauty of black is that you can touch up small areas much easier than you can with a metallic color if you accidently burn through an area. And we all know how great black looks when it is clean and shiny. Good luck with your new project.

#9 ·
rueben44 said:
I say 90 look because you could not get a coupe in the 90's. If done right the look so much classier! Oh and in that factory color it would just be sick.
I used to like the 90'd look and wanted to put a 90 header panel on my 86. Now that 90s are showing up here in the junkyard, I realize that I really don't like the 90'd look. IMO, the overly extended sides of the front bumper ruined the cars original styling.

#25 ·
I wondered if that's what you were talking about. Id have one, but for me it'ld have to be on a slantback Seville. As for the booty kit, (5th wheel) that's not out of the question either. Seems these accessories have become offensive to most, excluding me of course!!

#26 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures they keep me inspired. Next week I am buffing the car, installing new shocks all around, tires and new caps, and a new blower motor. i plan on posting more pics also but when i see you guys working it helps keep me at it. You know after seeing those cars in black I am thinking of changing my color to a charcoal grey or black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.