Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

9K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  LostCyberSled 
#1 · (Edited)
My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

Hey guys. Some of you may have been following in my other thread, but since I have now bought a Fleetwood, wanted to start this new thread with pics, questions, etc.

Well to start off this is my first Fleetwood and my FIRST Cadillac I have owned since my first car, which was a 1972 Sedan DeVille in 1992!

The one I just purchased is a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham, with 118K miles. The date of manufacture on the door is February of 1993. ( I was in the 11th grade, :) ). The interior is in MINT condition. Even the areas that typically wear out first on these, like where the heater controls are on the seat and the covering on the b-pillar are like new. NO dash cracks, etc. The car does however have some hail damage on the hood and trunk, but has NO rust and the paint is super nice and original. Havent decoded the codes inside the trunk yet, but it does have the keyless entry option and CD player options.

The car runs super, very quiet, etc. The steering is a little vague, as if something is a little worn or an alignment needed and one tire seems to have a broken belt, as it wobbles at low speed.

My main concern now and one I didnt know about before I shelled out $2300 for it is that there is an oil leak. After I parked the car I noticed oil spots where I had to turn about 3 times in the driveway to get it turned around. I went out later and looked underneath and seen a small puddle under car, near the back of the engine. It was dark, I havent inspected it yet, but it is a little disappointing. I didnt tell my dad yet, as he was the one that bought it for me. I kinda know (aquaintances through the old building I worked in) the seller and I thought I could assume the car was Ok, I didnt see any leaks where the car had been parked in his driveway (which is gravel). My fault for not checking it out closer. I am just hoping its nothing major. I have done some reading and it seems that on thse cars it could come from several areas... the oil sending unit, rear main seal, valve covers, etc. I am hoping and praying that its nothing major or costly. The rear main seal sounds scary.

Well pics to come soon as soon as I get it detailed. I may slip out there tonight and get some before the detailing. lol. Thanks again for all of the help and I am sure I will be a regular on here. :)

Here are the pics of the car at the previous owners house I took yesterday passing by... as you can see its in dire need of a detail! I cant wait to wash and wax it and clean the wheels and tires.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

The steering is a little vague, as if something is a little worn or an alignment needed and one tire seems to have a broken belt, as it wobbles at low speed.
Probably the center link. Not a bad job. It's easier if you do all the tie rods along with it. My '96 and '94 had bad center links when I got them. "Vague" is being kind. I could turn the wheel a half-turn in any direction before the car reacted. Haven't fixed my '94 yet - it's a lot of fun to try to keep in one lane on the highway. I have the new center link, just haven't had time to pop it in.

Oil leak could be anything, but I wouldn't sweat it. It's old, it will leak stuff. Just keep putting the stuff back in it as it leaks out. If it starts leaking a lot of stuff, you might have to address it.

Good luck with it!

#8 ·
Re: My first Fleetwood! "New to me" 1993 Fleetwood Brougham - pics, questions, etc.

WOW!!!!! Beautiful interior!!!!!!

Man, you did GOOD!!!! Listen, no matter what that oil leak is or whatever other minor stuff might be wrong, it is WAY cheaper to fix that stuff than bringing an interior back to that condition!!!! AWESOME!!! Most people throw the phrase "mint condition" around carelessly, but that fits the phrase! And that vinyl top is amazing! Do you know how rare it is to find one of those cars with a vinyl top that nice? VERY cool! Obviously garage kept!

Marc

#9 ·

Thanks Faded Crest... thats a comfort to know! :) Yeah, she has 118K miles by an old woman. I dont think the back seat was ever sat in. ??

WOW!!!!! Beautiful interior!!!!!!

Man, you did GOOD!!!! Listen, no matter what that oil leak is or whatever other minor stuff might be wrong, it is WAY cheaper to fix than bringing an interior back to that condition!!!! AWESOME!!!

#10 ·

Holy hell! Wow, quite a steal for $2300, even if it's got a bit of an oil leak!!!

Can we get some closer pics of the exterior?

Reactions: Tennesseestorm
#12 ·

That's funny you should mention hail damage. I was thinking I might go look at a '96 Fleetwood Brougham close to me that has hail damage. In the pics the interior looked real nice and I was wondering if I could live with the dents.

#13 ·

Dayum! That interior is super clean! Dude you made a great choice, I am really surprised. You can't get the same quality leather today, like the one's in that Fleetwood from back then, you are very fortunate. You need WW tires badly when you can afford them, and I am telling you right now, it truly adds another look to these cars for the better with some nice thick WW's, all Black tires are disgusting for any old Cadillac and Lincoln to be on for that matter.

Welcome to the Caddy family! Just make sure you keep up on the maintenance, it's gonna take some time, if you work on the car yourself, it's gonna save you tons and tons of money over time believe me. I mean a 118K on the engine ain't nothin. It's still a baby. I plan on replacing my front coil springs and upper control arm bushings soon, since my springs are starting to sag. I will report back on here and let you and everyone else know if I notice any major improvements in the ride, and handling. You can take it into consideration and possibly plan on doing the same kind of repair yourself for an improved ride.:)

Congrats!:thumbsup:

----------

That's funny you should mention hail damage. I was thinking I might go look at a '96 Fleetwood Brougham close to me that has hail damage. In the pics the interior looked real nice and I was wondering if I could live with the dents.
Depends of the severity of the dents and how many they are. If it's minor and easily repairable, hey what the hell! Go for it! lol Not too many Cadillac's like these are left. Snatch one up while you still can.:bouncy:

#16 ·

tom, that interior is incredible. A nice interior is one of the hardest things to find on these cadillacs, mine had 63k on it when I got it and the front seat was already on its way out. your front seat doesnt even look like it was sat in. That car was definitely well taken care of. oil leaks are minor.

#19 ·

tom, that interior is incredible. A nice interior is one of the hardest things to find on these cadillacs, mine had 63k on it when I got it and the front seat was already on its way out. your front seat doesnt even look like it was sat in. That car was definitely well taken care of. oil leaks are minor.
Thanks! Yeah, I am impressed with it. The seats/carpeting is nicer than that in my 1995 Town Car.

The key to the interior being so nice is probably that it was lady driven. A "little" old lady, he said. In my own experience, women-owned cars have the nicest interiors. But many times I have had to clean of layers of caked-on makeup from the gear shift and steering wheel, under which is usually a pristine leather wrap. Petite women also don't squash the seats. LOL. I recently saw a 1991 Front wheel drive fleetwood with the d'elegance seats with 185K miles, but the leather looked like it belonged in a 45K mi. car.
I agree with that. I was told that the lady was 80 years old when she "willed" the car to the man I got it from in 2009 and he drove it little. Luckily, no make-up build-up anywhere. :) Also, I am a guy, weigh 220 pounds, but I am going try my darndest to keep the interior nice. :)

Nice car! Congratulations! :)
Thanks!

#17 ·

The key to the interior being so nice is probably that it was lady driven. A "little" old lady, he said. In my own experience, women-owned cars have the nicest interiors. But many times I have had to clean of layers of caked-on makeup from the gear shift and steering wheel, under which is usually a pristine leather wrap. Petite women also don't squash the seats. LOL. I recently saw a 1991 Front wheel drive fleetwood with the d'elegance seats with 185K miles, but the leather looked like it belonged in a 45K mi. car.

#20 ·

Hey man, congrats. I can't believe you bought the EXACT same car as mine! My 93 has the same sorta-silver-purple paint, matching top and leather interior. The only difference is that mine came with the gold package. I never posted pictures of mine, but our story is even the same. Mine was a one owner, 90+ year old lady, garage kept, but hate to best you, I only paid $2000 for mine, and nothing leaks! I hope you have the same luck with yours, and enjoy driving it, as I have with mine. Don't forget,get whitewalls asap!

----------

Hey, just had a thought. I looked at your pictures of the oil leak, and I think that your oil filter is loose. Look at all the oil dripping off the filter itself. Crawl under the car, and give the filter a half turn, wipe all the oil off, and see what happens. Then, immediately change your oil, especially if it has been sitting for a long time. Don't take a chance with your motor

#21 ·

Sounds cool! I wish mine didnt leak and I guess I will have to shell out some $ for repairs to that and to get the steering checked, but no biggie I hope. lol. I was lucky to even get this one... these are very hard to find around here for sale, so I grabbed it. lol. Yeah, I am going to clean her asap and the whitewalls too and will post pics asap.

Hey man, congrats. I can't believe you bought the EXACT same car as mine! My 93 has the same sorta-silver-purple paint, matching top and leather interior. The only difference is that mine came with the gold package. I never posted pictures of mine, but our story is even the same. Mine was a one owner, 90+ year old lady, garage kept, but hate to best you, I only paid $2000 for mine, and nothing leaks! I hope you have the same luck with yours, and enjoy driving it, as I have with mine. Don't forget,get whitewalls asap!

----------

Hey, just had a thought. I looked at your pictures of the oil leak, and I think that your oil filter is loose. Look at all the oil dripping off the filter itself. Crawl under the car, and give the filter a half turn, wipe all the oil off, and see what happens. Then, immediately change your oil, especially if it has been sitting for a long time. Don't take a chance with your motor

#22 ·

When you get it looked at for repairs make sure you take it to an honest, reputable mechanic. I would definitely stay away from any large chains like "Firescrew" or "Bad Year" if you know what I mean. If you go in one of those places asking them to look at your steering components and front end, those vultures start salivating. Hopefully you already have a guy you trust... If I need a repair that I can't do myself or don't want to do myself, I drive 30 miles right past a Firestone, and 2 or 3 other name brand places to my personal mechanic. It blows his mind that I drive that far to go to him but I know how crooked those big places are.

#23 ·

Since we haven't seen the outside yet all I can say is the inside looks nice!! And grey is hard to keep clean like that. If you shampoo the floor mats it should make them look good again too.
When I got my 91 it had an oil leak under it like that and it ended up needing a new oil pan. When you're dealing with cars that age there's no point on passing on one just because of problems like that because once you find one that is alright it's only a matter of time before it starts leaking too. Unless it's already been fixed before.

#30 ·

Since we haven't seen the outside yet all I can say is the inside looks nice!! And grey is hard to keep clean like that. If you shampoo the floor mats it should make them look good again too.
Thanks!

Your new caddy looks great, your leak may be coming from the "Oil Pressure Switch" or the back of the "Intake" all the best & keep us posted.
Thanks! I will look into that asap.

Oil leak looks like it is coming down the filter. Tighten it, to start.

Congrats, looks great.

Call a good PDR guy to take care of the hail damage. It will look brand new, cheap.
Thanks! Yeah, I am not driving it yet, I want to get it all cleaned up and checked out first. Hoping that leak is something simple.

Definitely check yourself for the simple stuff first, you might just luck out. A bad oil pressure switch can sure throw some oil! Loose filter can do it, bad oil pan gasket, leaky valve cover at the rear... How long had the car been sitting?
Thanks! Well not too sure, but I know that the guy I got it from that had owned it a couple of years after the old lady that was the original owner, he drove it on the weekends.

Wow. It's been said already, but man that interior is nice. A light color is tough to keep clean, too. Unbelievable.

Your oil appears to be coming from up top, too. Look at the torque converter cover - it's running down. That's a good thing - pretty much eliminates the rear seal as the culprit. You are leaking a lot of oil, though. Hopefully it's something simple.
Thanks! Yeah, I am going to get it on ramps asap and see what I can find out.

#26 ·

Your new caddy looks great, your leak my be coming from the "Oil Pressure Switch" or the back of the "Intake" all the best & keep us posted.
Definitely check yourself for the simple stuff first, you might just luck out. A bad oil pressure switch can sure throw some oil! Loose filter can do it, bad oil pan gasket, leaky valve cover at the rear... How long had the car been sitting?

#27 ·

Nice deal, congrats and I like interior too . It is like new . Your car looks better than I expected it would be

Reactions: Tennesseestorm
#28 ·

Wow. It's been said already, but man that interior is nice. A light color is tough to keep clean, too. Unbelievable.

Your oil appears to be coming from up top, too. Look at the torque converter cover - it's running down. That's a good thing - pretty much eliminates the rear seal as the culprit. You are leaking a lot of oil, though. Hopefully it's something simple.

#29 ·

Faded Crest - if it is the 1996 in Conover NC. I looked at it and passed on it. ABS and Traction lights are on, Engine makes a noise and i don't believe its the A/C compressor like he says, Needs window glides installed in 3 windows and when I drove it it sounded like the Rear end was going out. IMHO.

I bought the one in Lexington, NC. Excellent place to buy from.

#31 ·

Faded Crest - if it is the 1996 in Conover NC. I looked at it and passed on it. ABS and Traction lights are on, Engine makes a noise and i don't believe its the A/C compressor like he says, Needs window glides installed in 3 windows and when I drove it it sounded like the Rear end was going out. IMHO.

I bought the one in Lexington, NC. Excellent place to buy from.
LOL Looks pretty nice in pics though, doesn't it? You bought the red one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.