Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CTS V shift knob

9K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Hammerhead100 
#1 ·
I have a Raven Black DI sedan with tinted windows and a D3 intake, and I love the interior (black leather with silver and graphite accents). The only problem with the interior is that my automatic shift knob has a scuff on it, so I was thinking about replacing it with the CTS V shift knob (with the alcantara). The alcantara has a great feel to it, but I am not sure about having a shift knob with the V logo on it. Hennessy sells one: http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/alshknkita.html

I wanted to get some opinions on this before I pulled the trigger.

Thoughts?

#5 ·
I haven't heard anyone with a CTS V complain about it, and here is an excerpt from Wikipedia

"Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane [4] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such.
Some versions are designated as flame retardant in order to meet certain fire standards for both furnishings and automobile applications.[2]"

Have you had direct experience with Alcantara before?

#14 ·
I was going to make that same suggestion. In my case I just pulled down and to the passenger side and it came right down. I have changes a few shift knobs in my day, and I expected this one to be complicated, but it was quite simple.

I can also say that after owning that new shift knob for a while that it was well worth the money. It looks great with the interior and feels great too.

#16 ·
Sure. You will need three tools for this job:
Flat head screwdriver
microfiber towel (or similar)
torx bit driver

Step 1: Wrap the end of your flat head screwdriver with the towel and then insert it between the knob and boot as highlighted below.

Then simply twist the screwdriver and that side of the boot should come loose. Once it is loose you can pull down on the other side by hand and the whole boot should be off of the shift knob as highlighted below.

At this point you will need to use the torx head driver to unscrew the torx screw bit that secures the shift knob as highlighted below.

Once you have done that the shift knob will come right out. Replacing is even easier as you just need to put the replacement shift knob back on. tighten the torx screw and then pull the shift boot back into place. Done!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

#25 ·
Sorry, been away for a bit.

GProdigy, not sure where to get the shifter. Like I said, it comes with the new touring package. I did search online but couldn't find it. Here's a pic of what it looks like
View attachment 136202

Also thought you might like to see the matching steering wheel
View attachment 136210
thanks..that leather part in the center is the problem with mine....its the main part of my interior that shows wear and tear b/c of the heat etc.

thats y the piano gloss knob looked appealing...

#26 ·
Oh! I'll have to watch out for that. Didn't realize the center would come apart/rub off.
I'm sure you've seen it here but someone else wrapped the center part in 3M film that looks like carbon fiber. The piano black is like the shifter surround which as you know scratches if you just look at it funny. I just wish my shifter matched the boot more in the center. I like a uniform look

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.