Cadillac Owners Forum banner
77K views 213 replies 66 participants last post by  6104696 
#1 ·
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

#4 · (Edited)
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?
Can you provide more detail, in terms of wheel used, tire and pics of milling? Also, I assume you are carrying around a jack as well.

#6 ·
That's because attachments here need to be in the correct resolution. Your native shots were too large. Try resizing the pics if you want to have them as attachment photos in the forum. Sorry but this one is operator error not a forum functionality problem.

#9 ·
Yes everything fits like a glove in the trunk.

I only have a few photos via my phone but I will take ones of the trunk showing how everything fits later today.

It was a bitch sourcing all these parts out because dealers part departments dont want to get annoyed ordering and helping out. I had ordered a number of wheels before I found this one.

I have the scissor jack, lug wrench, spacer, nuts, 1/2 breaker bar with socket for the spacer, OEM air compressor and mounting hardware out back. it looks factory.

its not a cheap option but for piece of mind its so worth it.

Cost me around $600 for ALL the parts if I am correct.

If there is enough interest I will try and work out something for bulk purchases for you guys. I will put the entire kit together and sell directly.

#10 ·
M5Driver, :worship: AWESOME. Great job. Very interested in how to do this as well.

#12 ·
Here you go guys looks and fits perfect.

Just to fill you in. When I first ventured to buy these parts I thought it would be easy but no. When a dealer looks up a part the B/W photos sometimes are not accurate. They faxed me photos and when the part came in i got screwed.

I have two wheels that are 6 lug the other 5 lug because the photos were misrepresented. I had to eat the cost because they were special order and i test fitted them which sucks. I have no clue as to where these other wheels go so I can sell on Ebay.

Photos shown below: I have the 1/2 breaker bar wrapped in plastic wrap so it don't make noise and scratch anything.

[URL="http://img28.imageshack.us/i/p1011178.jpg/"]http:

//img28.imageshack.us/i/p1011178.jpg/

G
#15 ·
I have two wheels that are 6 lug the other 5 lug because the photos were misrepresented. I had to eat the cost because they were special order and i test fitted them which sucks. I have no clue as to where these other wheels go so I can sell on Ebay.
The first generation CTS-V and SRX used 6 lug wheels.... but they weren't interchangeable between the 2 models.

The first gen V guys are always looking for a good deal on a replacement wheel.

#14 ·
It fits on the rear, too?

#17 ·
Yes it clears the rear that was the easy part the front was the issue.

Guys I called all my support vendors on this and I will need 5+ guys interested with deposits to get this going for anyone. its too costly otherwise and I am not making a dime off this.

It will take me 7-10 days to get all the parts and stuff made etc before shipping.

Think about this, Onstar is great but when your stuck having this spare will be a lifesaver.

#21 ·
Very Cool work M5Driver :highfive:

#25 ·
The BMW M3 spare kit says it is a 17" wheel with a 125-80-17 tire. That is too small.

Vette Spare.com uses a narrowed Corvette 18" wheel and a Hoosier front runner tire. It might fit our cars but it would be an expensive experiment. I contacted the guy who runs Vette Spare. He would gladly narrow a CTS-V wheel to use for a spare. The problem is finding a narrow 19" tire.

The only car with a 19" compact spare I have been able to find is a Land Rover (and most of those come with full-size spares). Land Rover uses our 5x120 mm bolt circle. I found the wheel but no tire.
http://www.originalwheels.com/landrover-wheels/landrover2008rims.php

#28 ·
I'm very interested in this. How much of a deposit? Will you (or one of your vendors) do the milling work you mentioned on the spare wheel? I have no tools or skills for anything like that myself.... Thanks for sharing this, it's really a great solution!

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
Very nice.... I would buy one too

Some GM designer is prob. thinking why didnt i do this
Hmmm, Why didn't I do this? j/k I did send this link to the brass though and they liked it.

#34 ·
100% agree. The GM brass should have offered this in the first place, at minimum, as an option. Their attitude that people don't need a spare tire is completely, totally, WRONG. I don't know what focus group they talked to when developing our V, but it must not have included enough real-world users in markets with awful roads like Cleveland, Chicago, and New York. Heck, I visit Detroit all the time and the roads are as bad or worse than in Cleveland! You'd a thunk that a spare tire was still useful there at least.

(Sorry for the slight upset, I'm still crying over Cleveland's loss of LeBron.)

#33 ·
The kit will be posted on Ebay through my friends shop who does all my work. Should be posted by Monday so keep an eye out.

If 4 or more guys really want this send me a PM and I will set this up I dont have time to follow the board and deal with this myself I will let them handle it all.

Glad lots of you guys like it.

#38 ·
What does this kit include? Is it all the parts or just the parts that you have to mill?

May I suggest you just sell the milled part and let us round up the rest of the parts on our own using the list that you provide.

How much do you want for the kit? How much for just the part you have to mill?

Thanks,
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.