Cadillac Owners Forum banner
64K views 598 replies 47 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is now a signup thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/great-lakes/172496-chicago-meet-august-2009-signup.html
-JH

Since it appears we have reached a consensus on the date, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for the meet itself and organizing some of the logistics. I know Jimmy and Nick have offered to help get things organized, and I'm willing to help out where I can to get things moving. I've had a great time at the three meets I've attended (Des Moines 2007, Chicago 2008 and 2009), so I'm really looking forward to another road trip.

First off, here’s a list of people who’ve said they might be interested in coming. Feel free to add to this list:

Out-of-town drivers:

• Me (natch) and Hoover
  • Brian (90_Brougham_350) and possibly Ruthie
  • Chad
  • Tanner (Derrty_Deville)
  • Jesda
  • Kurt (KFX)
  • Gizmo
  • Rick (NightWolf)
  • Jim (TBJS)
  • Nick
  • Justin

Fly-in/Maybes:

• Tony (TTS)

Locals @ the winter meet:

• Nicki
  • JimmyH
  • JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)
  • Gary88
  • Kael

Other locals to invite:

• Elias (96 Fleetwood)
  • John (JRau)
  • Keith (AlBundy)
  • Larry (Ranger)
  • Tom (N0DIH)

If I’ve forgotten anybody, it’s not intentional. Just add yourself to the list.

As summer gets closer, it’d be a good idea to firm up who’s coming so we can make reservations for dinners/Sunday brunch/hotel/golf, etc. I know if may seem early, but this way anybody who needs to take vacation time can plan ahead.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Chicago Meet -- August 28-30 -- Official thread

A few other logistical items. Jimmy mentioned that he lives close to the Volo Auto Museum, and they have park space available to host car club events. It's free, but must be reserved two weeks in advance. This would be a good place to host a picnic or barbecue on Saturday. Jimmy, can you see if we can make a reservation sooner?

There was also talk about going to a drag strip. Great Lakes Dragaway in Southern Wisconsin was mentioned, but maybe there's another one that's closer to Chicago? Anybody want to look into that?

Since there are several members from the last Chicago meet around Downers Grove, maybe that should be our home base. Since I'm traveling with my dog, I need a hotel that allows pets, and the one listed in Downers Grove is Red Roof Inn near I-88 and Highland Ave. If we have at least 10 people coming in from out of town, we can get a group rate. I can look into that if this is an OK location. Nicki, John or Gary, would you be willing to check this place out or suggest something better if it's not up to snuff?

The Sunday brunch we had in Des Moines was incredible, so maybe one of the locals could suggest a good place in the west 'burbs where we can make a reservation.

Gary88 mentioned a nice golf course near his house in Lemont, so as August approaches, it would be a good idea to find out who'd be interested in golf on Sunday and seeing what's available for tee times nearby.

Any other ideas? Post them here. August is only five months away, after all.

#5 ·

There was also talk about going to a drag strip. Great Lakes Dragaway in Southern Wisconsin was mentioned, but maybe there's another one that's closer to Chicago? Anybody want to look into that?

Gary88 mentioned a nice golf course near his house in Lemont, so as August approaches, it would be a good idea to find out who'd be interested in golf on Sunday and seeing what's available for tee times nearby.
There's Route 66 in Joliet, not terribly far from downtown. Test and tune runs April 18 - September 12. $10 admission and $25 to race. Very nice, and right next door to a NASCAR track. I'm fine going anywhere though.

http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/index_rt66.html

Green fees for Cog Hill are here:

http://www.coghillgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=725&page=40448

Personally I like course #1. I've never played Ravines, but it's ridiculously nice, home of the 1997 US Amateur championship. Dubsdread is the same course the PGA pros play the BMW Championship on (formerly the Western Open). My pockets aren't deep enough to play there just yet.

If we decide to play here I'll have a tee time booked.

Oh and there's also Gleneagles. My second choice when I can't get a tee time at Cog Hill :_sure:

http://www.golfgleneagles.com/

It's literally down the street from Cog Hill too.

#3 · (Edited)
#8 ·

I can't golf worth a damn but I will gladly race you in a cart. Volo is a cool place and its far enough from the city to satisfy me.

Looky what they have for sale now. http://www.volocars.com/1988-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham--c-1027.htm :2thumbs:
I saw that Brougham on the Volo site as well and figured you'd like it. Those cars look great in black, but I'd never own a black car; too much work to keep it looking good.

I've been playing golf off and on for 20 years, but only after I started playing again two years ago has my game gotten respectable. For that, I can credit my aunt and sister (three-time women's military world champion), who corrected my swing and grip. I also took a faculty/staff fitness golf class last spring, and I'm taking the next-level class this spring. Last year, one of the guys in the office took the class, too, and we had a regular Friday-after-work golf game, which we'll resume this spring and summer. So my game should be in decent shape by late August.

I had the highest score in Des Moines by 1 or two strokes, but I still played well enough to have fun. So even if you can't golf worth a damn, you can still have a good time (and yes, racing around on the cart is part of the fun).

#4 ·

Red Roof in looks good Gary. Got good reviews even! Coming with me would be, Me, my brother (Justin), and my girlfriend. We would probably be in for everything. I am a golfer and they arent so i have to find something for my brother and girlfriend to do Sunday while we golf. Nicki you want to go shopping with them? :eek: HEHE!

Anyway, here is what my ideal plan would be. Not tryin to step on any toes, just getting the idea out there.

Get to downtown CHI by 1pm on Thursday
Meet up with Gary or anyone else that wants to hit the science museum
Hang out and drink
Eat a good dinner
go drink at the top of the hancock tower and hit other bars
Friday-
Travel to the suburbs, meet up with everyone, etc
Hit Todai Sushi in Schaumberg
hit the car museum near Jimmys
Personal night for people to rest or do what they want
Saturday-
Group breakfast maybe
meet up with everyone
have actual meet/track time or whatever
Have a nice dinner with everyone (GIORDANOS!!!!!)
Go out drinking
Sunday-
Group breakfast
Golf
Go home

#6 ·

I should be free at least one of those days, so count me in :thumbsup:

#7 ·

Whoever doesn't want to golf, I can take them shopping either to Oakbrook (largest outdoor mall in US) or downtown to Michigan Avenue. I personally suck at golf, I'm only good at putting so if someone needs a putter, PICK ME! :D

My poll is open until Saturday, the 7th so just incase if anymore people sign up.

As I said before, I might be able to take some people in my house, just depends if my parents come in.

Another place people wanted to go to is Portillo's so you can add that to the itenirary.

On Saturdays, Navy Pier has fireworks around 9 if anyone is interested. (FREE!)

#9 ·

I'll own you all at minigolf. :p

Portillo's is a must this trip.

Nick, I like your itinerary. It may be hard for some to be here by that time on Thursday but I will definitely be up for it. I can't go to the bars with you but I will gladly drive your CTS back to the hotel for you. Such a small car will be no problem for me to handle. :)

Route 66 Speedway is a great option as long as there are no official events happening. If that is the case then there is no way we are going to get any track time.

You can count me out of the shopping. Not interested.

Just thought I should add another one sentence paragraph down here for good fun.

#10 ·

Minigolf would be cool, cooler than regular golf for me (I haven't golfed since I was like 11) and I'd definitely be down for drag racing! If we drag, I'll drive my Mercedes down (I've never raced it, always wanted to). If we autox or don't race at all, I won't drive.

#11 ·

Count me in for sure, Ruthie a good possibility at this point. We'll be able to make it Friday afternoon, probably leave Sunday after brunch. As long as we get to a drag strip some time during the weekend, I'm happy. $25 to race is a steal, the nearest drag strip to the Twin Cities is an hour away and they charge $70 for test and tune. Other than that, I don't care too much what we end up doing.

Brian

#12 ·

Brian, I'm very interested to see what a 7.3 or 7.5L Ford F-250 will run in the quarter mile..... :yup:

#13 ·

My uncle has my grandfather's old '89 F-250 with a 7.3L International Harvester diesel. It is a beast but slower than hell. It is so front heavy that it will get stuck in moist grass (like early morning dew), even on a level surface.

Chad, you and I must race. It would be absolutely hilarious to see two enormous luxury cars going down the track. I saw somewhere that my car will run somewhere around a 17. :(

#14 ·

The 7.3L in the '89 was not turbocharged. It made 180hp and 345 lb/ft (at 1400rpm!!!) It wasn't turbocharged until 1994, then it made 190hp and 395 lb/ft, they refer to that as the IDI (INdirect injection), then in '94.5 they made it direct injection and that's the 7.3L to have! It made the most power (210hp and 425 lb/ft) and was the most fuel efficent and the most modifiable. Although, the replacement parts were the most expensive and it's the most expensive to buy now. Whenever I'm at one of my accounts that works with diesels or Fords, they ALL say that the 7.3L was the way to go if you wanted a diesel Ford. The earlier 6.9L was known for snapping crankshafts (LOL) in the early models, and the 6.0L's are known for EGR issues and headgaskets.

I'd love to race you. Your '90 is a real low 17 second car, and my '99 is a low-mid 16.....maybe. :lildevil:

#16 ·

There is a really nice minigolf place called Lost Adventures on 75th street right next to Brunswick Zone in Woodridge.

I am curious to know how my grandpa's truck would run in a quarter. Its got the Duramax but it is a heavy truck. He wighed it once at half fuel capacity and it was close to 7300 pounds. He added an extra fuel tank so it can hold 80 gallons and all the tools he has in the boxes in back really weigh it down.

#17 ·

I like how this is shaping up! If my GF is happy to go shopping then I can golf without getting the evil eye and what not! AHAHAHAH!

What is Portillos? Food joint? You all know I like good food! :)

Gary(88), I dont know if those courses will let me in! Im a hooligan on the golf course! AHAHAHA! Im just kidding, I only mis behave at my usual Des Moines course and usually only when Im with some of my buddies from around here. Some of the shenanigans we have pulled on the golf course would blow your mind! :eek: Ill break out the khakis if required! :bouncy:

#20 ·

Gary(88), I dont know if those courses will let me in! Im a hooligan on the golf course! AHAHAHA! Im just kidding, I only mis behave at my usual Des Moines course and usually only when Im with some of my buddies from around here. Some of the shenanigans we have pulled on the golf course would blow your mind! :eek: Ill break out the khakis if required! :bouncy:
You can be a hooligan all you want after you pay and get past the first hole :cool2:

#21 ·

Portillos: One of the best places to eat on the planet. The hot dogs are good but the burgers are to die for. http://www.portillos.com/portillos/

If you want really good hot dogs you go to Gene and Jude's.

#22 ·
#29 ·

She said she might... I gotta bug Jerry to come to then she'll come... mommy and daddy reunited again! :D

#31 ·

What do you mean what's the deal with the dates?? It's at the end of the month 28th-30th.

#32 ·

What do you mean what's the deal with the dates?? It's at the end of the month 28th-30th.
well, I never saw the result of the poll and I didn't think that was the end-all-be-all. And it's never said as definite in this thread. All I saw was Gary surmising that it might be.

#34 ·

Although it looks as though it will be more like the 26-30th.

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.