Cadillac Owners Forum banner

TCS C1243 on 98 Deville

11K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Caddie Man 
#1 ·
Hello

I've looked through the forum quite a bit, I'm looking for information on troubleshooting c1243. If someone could post the diagnostic steps for this code, an pictures of what the ABS pump looks like with its location, I'd be most grateful. This is the first car that I bought all on my own and I need some assistance locating some of this stuff.

Also is anyone here in the lansing, MI area?

#3 ·
GM said:
DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

Circuit Description

When the EBTCM grounds the pump motor relay, the relay closes and provides battery voltage in order to operate the pump.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

All of the following conditions occur:

After the pump motor has been ON, the pump motor relay is commanded OFF.
The pump motor was ON.
The EBTCM detected a stalled or slowly turning motor.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

A malfunction DTC is stored.
The ABS/TCS/Stabilitrak® is disabled.
The ABS indicator is turned ON.
The TRACTION CONTROL indicator is turned ON.
The DIC displays the SERVICE STABILITY SYS message.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used scan tool Clear DTCs function.
The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used the On-Board Clear DTCs function.
The EBTCM does not detect the DTC in 50 drive cycles.
Drop me a PM with your email if you want the rest in a PDF.

#7 ·
The next step in fixing this c1243 code would be to pull the A.B.S. motor off the Brake Pedal Modulator Valve. First disconnect the ground wire and then remove the bolts that hold the electric motor on the valve. The bottom bolt on mine was on there really good. I striped the head on the bolt so I drilled the head off the bolt to get the motor off.:cool::cool:

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
The next step is to take the motor to a vice and using a chisel or screw driver split the cap off the top of the motor. This unit was not made to be serviceable so you're gonna have to use some finesse removing the cap. On my unit the clips on the housing that hold the magnets in place where deteriorated, so I went to the junk yard and picked up another motor for $20.00. I took this motor apart and using a center punch I knocked out the rivets holding the clips in place. Then I took the clips to a grinder to remove the rest of the rivet that was still on the clip. I then found some small nuts and bolts and used them to connect the clips to the housing. Here's what it looked like when I was done.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, we are almost done. Now put the cap on the motor and put the bolts back in that hold the motor to the unit. After that...connect the ground wire and you're done. This solved my c1243 issue. Lights are off the dash and first gear is back. Hope this helps others out there. The whole project took me three hours to complete and cost me $20.00. GOOD LUCK!:quagmire::quagmire:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.