Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"Stability Control Needs Servicing" message ?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CIWS 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking for some input on a strange issue I had today. I was backing out of my garage, and got the "ding" with a message that said Stability Control System Needs Servicing. I pressed "ok", then, just for grins, I tried to put the car into Competitive Mode and to turn off the Stability System altogther, but it would not allow me to do anything but turn the TC off:confused:
Then I drove for about a mile, pulled over and turned the car off. Then restarted it, and did not get the msg, and could turn on Comp mode and turn it all the way off if I wanted. No more issue...:suspect:
I drove the car later in the day, and no issue again.
I did a search on this, and I could not find this issue happening with anyone, unless they just got a new NAV system, but my car has 7000 mi, and has not had a new NAV system. I did just get a new oil pump last week, but I don't think this has anything to do with this...
Anyone have any thoughts? I can take it to the dealer, but I have not been able to duplicate the issue, so needed some input to see if anyone has seen/experienced this...

#6 · (Edited)
Not sure if the computer stores that flag or not.
I would imagine that these computers are very similar to the Corvette, and the Corvette's carry both history and current codes. For example one might be "P1514 C H" where the C & H are the current and history indicators.

Some messages require several codes to be set, the computers do not carry flags that indicate a message was displayed. Sometimes it's like playing detective. I had a very intermittent set of messages in the Corvette. Took it into the dealer and they replaced something, week later the same messages showed up. Took her back and it turned out the ECBM had to be replaced ($1,000+) because of a bad internal connection.

#7 ·
Mine did the same thing after picking it up at the dealer. I went straight back and the Tek II showed steering position sensor was bad. They wanted to keep the car longer, I said no tired of slow poke CTS loaner. Error has never appeared again, going on 2 months now.

Reactions: G--
#9 ·
I had that happen three or four times, once when backing out of the garage just like you described. I had the dealer check it out and they said no codes were tripped. I think others have has similar false warnings. The power steering sensor seems to generally be the culprit for those who ended up getting a repair.

#10 ·
Quick update: Took it into the dealer this morning, got it back this afternoon. They replaced the steering wheel sensor. Paperwork says "ran flowchart and traced issue to steering wheel sensor". Replaced under warranty. I never did get clarification if they could pull the code off the computer, or if they took my word for it...
Anyhow, thanks for the diagnosis, issue solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.