Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  SilverBullet 
#1 ·
Anyboby see the new issue of Car and Driver?

Apparently due to demands of the US market BMW finally put a six-speed into the M5 instead of the SMG. They were concerned about 'product liability' issues of drivetrain component failure they made the stability system so that you CANNOT turn it off. It apparently is really intrusive during handling maneuvers.

So, would you guys trade our diff issues for Stabilitrak that you can't turn off? I think that I like being able to turn 'the nanny' off.

Jack

#4 ·
Apparently due to demands of the US market BMW finally put a six-speed into the M5 instead of the SMG. They were concerned about 'product liability' issues of drivetrain component failure they made the stability system so that you CANNOT turn it off. It apparently is really intrusive during handling maneuvers.

So much for the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Buddy of mine is trading his 2006 M5 for a new one because he hates (and that's a quote) the SMG after driving it for less then a year.

Rear end/differential problems? Thank goodness for warranties!

Feff

#6 ·
So much for the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Buddy of mine is trading his 2006 M5 for a new one because he hates (and that's a quote) the SMG after driving it for less then a year.

Rear end/differential problems? Thank goodness for warranties!

Feff

I need more detail on why he hates the SMG.

I test drove a 550I with the SMG and loved it. Plus, it always has the automatic mode if you want to change things up.

#8 ·
Yeah, I read it yesterday. M5 came in last place. :histeric: The S6 seems to be slower than the V.

Also, that epitome-of-subjectivity "Gotta have it factor" was engineered so the E63 won. I'm sure it's a superb vehicle, but I fail to see how they think they can get away with it when that particular score appears to have been manipulated to get the result they want/need for their mag. :tisk:

#10 ·
The SMG is extremely harsh in manual, and a dog in auto. Motor Trend's exact words:

"In the most aggressive automatic manual mode, it hammers home shifts like John Henry racing the steam drill- WHOP-WHOP-WHOP!! But in full automatic, it's all but impossible to avoid huge gaps between the lower gears. One logbook scribbler summed it up to the test crew's unanimous response: "I tried to leave it in auto mode, but I just couldn't stand it."

Perhaps the most telling testimonial of this second-generation SMG is this: Initially, it was to be the 2006 M5's only transmission. However, BMW now plans to offer the option of a six-speed manual this fall. Enough said."

#11 ·
That's because they don't know how to set up the car. It has adjustments on how hard the gears go in. YES in automatic it's terrible, but as long as you drive it like a manual. I use the steering pedals or the actual smg stick it's nice that way, you don't get the jerk. But when it's time you hit that M button and you go to P500, S6 settings and you feel like Juan Pablo Montoya. I like it because it feels like a manual without having to hit the clutch.

#13 ·
I drove several SMG cars at a BMW event at California Super Speedway this year and I really didn't like it much. The pick up off the line is a dog and upshifting is clunky and almost painful. And this was in everything from the Z4 to the M3, the 330, the 650 and the M6.

Where is does really shine though is on a track at speed. The perfectly synched (and really pretty quick) downshifts were a delight and the M6 always had a gear that was perfect for the situation.

I would never own one though. I really enjoy a stick - it connects me with the car in a way that an auto doesn't. It certainly sucks in traffic, but I like to drive, not just steer.

#16 ·
Dude, with all due respect............you're crazy. I would trade a regular CTS for an an M5 in a nanosecond and I would trade a CTS-V for an M5 any day of the week.

The M5 is an awesome piece of machinery if you know how to drive it. As much as I love the Caddies, the M5 is just that much better.

#15 ·
I have a friend with a new M5 and another with a new M6 (I haven't raced either yet) and they both seem to like the SMG's. Then again, they rave about the I-drive (is that what it's called?) as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.