Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4th to 5th problems

709 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DILLIGAF 
#1 ·
Anyone has this issue? During "spirited" driving on empty roads, sometimes with a M3 falling behind me, I run out in 4th gear and then try to shift into 5th gear and the transmission just grinds. And I let out the clutch, which seems really really lite, and try again, and 5th gear still grinds. I coast for 10-15 seconds and everything works fine. Thankfully each time this has happened the race was over. I dont want to tell my dealer unless its something major. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

2005 V

#9 ·
Heavy, I thought yours was hardware failure so I would expect yours to have been "open" at all speeds.

I've found mine to be more likely to go into the reverse gate at over 100 (top of 4th at WFO) or between the speed at which you can go into reverse minus 100. However this is based on wild speculation.

#12 ·
Thanks for th replies.
I have tried to shift into reverse during normal driving and cant. Havent tried at 100+ mph though. The clutch gets really light, so I thought maybe the stress and heat of a WOT run in 4th did something. I will run up to 100+ and see if granny shifting grinds the same way. I will let you know.

#13 ·
Thanks for th replies.
I have tried to shift into reverse during normal driving and cant. Havent tried at 100+ mph though. The clutch gets really light, so I thought maybe the stress and heat of a WOT run in 4th did something. I will run up to 100+ and see if granny shifting grinds the same way. I will let you know.
I used to have this same problem,solution?Treat 4th to 5th like 2nd to 3rd,I was scared shitless to miss 5th at high speeds.As it turns out, my apprehention was the problem.Hit it!,it will be there.Guaranteed!:cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.