Cadillac Owners Forum banner

5 or 6 point seat belt, anybody?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  rgd 
#1 ·
I don't recall ever seeing a post on this. Has anyone mounted a 5 or 6 point seat belt in their car. If yes, how did you mount yours. I am heading out to pick one up right now and would be interested in your advice!
Thanks,
rgd

#2 ·
RGD:

I'm having a set of 4-point harnesses made up for the CTS-V by Schroth. The "Quick Fit Pro" harnesses are $300 per side. They use the exisitng rear seat belt hook ups.

The link below is to their "Quick Fit" (note not Quick Fit Pro) set up but it will give you the idea. UPS is bringing them to me as we speak. Should have them by Tuesday. Photos to follow.
http://www.schrothracing.com/products/streetlegal/1570

The Quick Fit Pro uses a racing type quick-release buckle allowing for the
4-points and a sub strap (5th point). To mount the sub strap, I've contacted Vetteworks (http://www.vetteworksonline.com/) to buy a bolt in mounting kit for the sub-strap. It mounts under the front two bolts of the front seats. Simply remove the two front bolts of the front seats, tilt the seat up, slip the mounting bar in palce and re-attach seats. See the link below.
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/138

They don't specifically make one of these for a CTS-V but they are willing to do so. It's simply a matter of giving them the distance between the botls.

I'm going to try the 4-points out before I jump to the full 5-points. If the
4-poitns work, I'll likely skip the 5th point.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

#7 ·

The Quick Fit Pro uses a racing type quick-release buckle allowing for the
4-points and a sub strap (5th point). To mount the sub strap, I've contacted Vetteworks (http://www.vetteworksonline.com/) to buy a bolt in mounting kit for the sub-strap. It mounts under the front two bolts of the front seats. Simply remove the two front bolts of the front seats, tilt the seat up, slip the mounting bar in palce and re-attach seats. See the link below.
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/138

I have a similar anti-submarine mount on the Corvette that also has a platform for a fire extinguisher mount. Do they have these mounts also?

:highfive:

#4 ·
I like the look of the pro harness

The purpose of the 5th or 6th point is to keep you from sliding forward under the lap belts in the event of a severe frontal impact. It looks like the knuckle (cam lock) of the pro harness is setup with three slots for belts to attach; 2 shoulder harnesses and the outboard lap belt. If you decide to convert to 5 or 6 point later, that would require a new knuckle (cam lock). Might be cheaper to get a 5 point now and just not install the 5th belt (anti-submarine), that way the cam lock would be ready to accept the anti-submarine belt if you decided to put it in.

Let us know how you like the 4-point when you get it in and on the track.

:thumbsup:

#10 ·
It looks like the knuckle (cam lock) of the pro harness is setup with three slots for belts to attach; 2 shoulder harnesses and the outboard lap belt. If you decide to convert to 5 or 6 point later, that would require a new knuckle (cam lock). Might be cheaper to get a 5 point now and just not install the 5th belt (anti-submarine), that way the cam lock would be ready to accept the anti-submarine belt if you decided to put it in. Let us know how you like the 4-point when you get it in and on the track.
504EVER:

The shoulder and lap belts attach to a common mount requiring only one slot for each side. These Schroth
4-points leave the 3rd slot open for a crotch belt. Vetteworks offers a fire extinguisher mounting bracket for the Vette. I assume if Vetteworks can change the crotch belt mount then the fire extinguisher mount can be done as well.

Had 5-points in my Esprit and loved they way they keep you in place. I'll know next week if the crotch blet is necessary. I'll let everyone know my thoughts and hopefully get some photos up as well.

Feff

#5 ·
Thanks, that is good info. I already picked up a six point setup and was thinking the same. I will check out four point before I install the two leg anchors.

Cool, this helped me finalize how I will attach the back of the sholder straps.

Again :highfive:,
rgd

#11 ·
Well it's 2am I am in the shower then down for a cpl 3 hrs sleep and off to Laguna. I just finished loading up my trailer, 4 point harness on board. Took it out for a quick spin I can tell the shoulder straps are going to be a huge improvment over stock belt.
But, now I am thinking a roll bar is in my very near future. Dreamin's right, it would be hard to hold this car up with my head.
Well its off to the :burn:.

Merry Xmas!!!

rgd

#12 ·
Well done! --

Any luck on racing seat conversions? Drop the 90 pounds per? If so please let us know what you've done. Kill a few birds at once - weight and the ability to put the real deal harness in?

Good luck at the track! I'm waiting for a little package from Santa in a week or two...

Hint - cost me 427 :sneaky:

Chef out...

#13 ·
Gents:

Looks like I was the guinea pig for the Schroth harnesses for the V. All seems well except for the attachment for the outside of the front seats. It needs to mount to the same bolt as the existing seat belt. The webbing they made is 2 inches too short so I'm sending it back to Schroth with a note to make it two(2) inches longer. Rear mounting bracket, which mounts under the seat at the same point the outise seat belt does, needs a 90 degree bend to install properly. Nothing a hammer and vise couldn't take care of. Could use another inch or two of webbing there as well.

Otherwise it looks like a great idea and should work well, but looking at it makes me thing the crocht belt will be necessary as well.

Feff

#14 · (Edited)
You will like your new belts I guarantee. It was great being able to just drive instead of leaning into corners, bracing myself with my knees against the door and center console or holding the wheel tight so I move less in the seat.

I picked these up from Pyrotect ($80) for a 6point harness setup. I used the leg strap, which makes up two of the six points to attach the belt to two anchors in the back seat. I removed the cushin, made two brackets and the belts clip onto the brackets. I attached the front belts to front seat. I attached the left one to the existing bolt. I attached the right one to a bolt I placed just below the existing bolt.

All together it cost around $95 plus 2.5 hrs for the install.

FYI. Pyrotect has a similar clip in latching system. I chose the older latch style thinking if I ever need out in an instant it might be faster to grab onto a little piece of rope and pull than remeber which way to twist etc...

rgd - out

#16 ·
Hi Reed,

Sorry for the delay replying. Pyrotect is in Oakland, Ca.
The belt setup was $80 plus hardware came to $95 +/-.
Gr8 for the track, huge!!
Had to take the seat out for the install, cut some of the plastic around the belt at the base of the seat.
As I said above, I picked up the six point belt and used the leg belt to anchor to the back belt bolts.

rgd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.