Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  TagApl4 
#1 ·
Anyone in Atlanta, surrounding areas, and anywhere else in the southeast willing to drive to ATL interested in a meet? A couple of CTS-V and CTS owners have mentioned they may be heading to Road Atlanta in two weeks to watch the CTS-VRs in the SCCA Speed Challenge race. I know it's short notice but that may be a good opportunity to meet up. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for dates and locations let's hear 'em.

#2 ·
yeah short notice I didnt even notice this thread! But i'm on it any date would love to meet u guys. Think u V guys will like what I've done to my 3.6L. Just PM me so i know.

*If anyone is interested they should subscribe to this thread so u dont miss updates!

#3 ·
YES!!! An Atlanta area event just made for Cadillac owners is ON NOVEMBER 4th at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce GA

The event is called the Southern Super Heavy Shootout. Details can be found at www.sshs6.com There will be racing and a car show.

The short story is that the track is closed to all except American cars that weigh in at over 4000 pounds (with driver) so there will be a very obvious lack of foreign tuner cars, mustangs, etc.

I will be there with my STS-V... hope to not be the lone rep of this forum.

#4 ·
^Sounds cool and I'd like to make it. Only thing holding me back is its a Wed all day event and I work. I'll def try to make it out for the evening and hopefully if its not too late get a few runs in. and 4000 lbs limit, I need to find 500 lbs to put in my trunk.

#6 ·
November 4th is this Saturday.

The entry fee is a bit high for racing simply because this is a restricted event with a hard limit on the number of cars allowed for racing. Beleive me it is well worth the $10 to watch and enjoy the race and car show. There will be some Impalas there that will be running sub 10 second quarter mile times!

#12 ·
It was a good event. Had a good time checking out the impalas and maurauders. I got there in time to see the STS-V make his last run of the day. Put down a good time 13.24 but due to the set up of the race he "broke out" his pegged time of like 13.3 so he dis qualified. Dont really understand how that worked. But those maggies Maurauders and Impalas really burned up the track.

#13 ·
Thanks for coming out!... I wished I had seen you there.

Here is a video of the first round where the competition broke or something before getting to the line.

I got in too late in the morning to get in more than one time trial. This pretty much killed any chance of a bracket race win. I still had a blast getting the V on the track and stretching her legs a little.

#15 ·
All right, here's the real basic principles of bracket racing. At a race, you are given several time trials, which are used just as practice, and to see what times your car runs. In eliminations, which are single elimination tournament style, it's you against one other racer. You select a time that you think your car will run. That's called your dial-in. When two cars compete, they subtract the dial-ins, and the slower car gets that much of a head start. The theory is that if both drivers get identical reaction times, and both run what they predicted, they will meet right at the finish line... a tie. In practicality, this never happens. Reaction times will differ, and the car may run quicker or slower than predicted.

Reaction times are a huge part of winning (or losing!) races. They are also perhaps the most difficult part of drag racing, although it seems deceptively simple. We'll cover the basics of the starting system and reaction times in The Reaction Time Clinic.©Michael Beard

Now you say, "Why don't I just dial-in at 18 seconds, and I'll get a big head start and win?" There's the trick. If you run quicker than your dial, you lose! This is called a breakout. Basically, this means that you want to guess exactly what the car will run. If you guess far quicker than what the car can run, you won't be able to run fast enough, and your opponent can easily beat you to the finish. If you guess far slower, a practice called sandbagging, it is very likely that you will break out and lose.

There are many complex situations that arise from these handicapping rules. What happens if both cars break out? In this case, the car that runs out the least wins. How can someone win if they didn't cross the finish line first? If the other car breaks out more than you do, or he runs out and you don't, you win, no matter how much he beat you to the line by. Because of the possibility of breaking out, there are actually many instances where you will hit the brakes to win!

The reason you were seeing a lot of breakouts Saturday is for many reasons. Early in the time trials a couple cars broke and spilled fluids which kept some from making multiple runs. There was easily 2 hours lost during the day for clean ups. Usually you get about 3 runs to get a good idea of how the car averages out. The other issue was the low temperatures were causing everyone to run faster than they thought they would. Cold air is denser and that make engines faster. The track prep also got better during the day and cars were launching better.

Bracket racing requires perfect consistency and great reaction times. The good thing about it is that it is possible for a minivan to win over a dragster if the driver can do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.